HS

Default gas water heater ???s

Hi

ITEM
3 year old 40 gal gas water heater.
Uses natural gas
All plumbing and venting 3 years new.
Mounted on two foot pedestal in garage.

Pilot went out Sunday.

Relit Pilot ok
Burner would not fire.

Tried several times over five hours with pilot off, relite no burner.

House water was hot all day.

House gas furnace was functional so not a gas supply problem.

Later that nite Burner fired up

Is this a problem or sign of failure to come?

tia

..

Speedy Jim

HS wrote:

Hi

ITEM
3 year old 40 gal gas water heater.
Uses natural gas
All plumbing and venting 3 years new.
Mounted on two foot pedestal in garage.

Pilot went out Sunday.

Relit Pilot ok
Burner would not fire.

Tried several times over five hours with pilot off, relite no burner.

House water was hot all day.

House gas furnace was functional so not a gas supply problem.

Later that nite Burner fired up

Is this a problem or sign of failure to come?

If the water was hot all day, the heater was simply not
calling for the burner to come on. This is controlled
by the thermostat on the front of the gas control.

From what you reported, doesn't sound like a problem.

Jim
Joseph Meehan

HS wrote:
Hi

ITEM
3 year old 40 gal gas water heater.
Uses natural gas
All plumbing and venting 3 years new.
Mounted on two foot pedestal in garage.

Pilot went out Sunday.

Relit Pilot ok
Burner would not fire.

Tried several times over five hours with pilot off, relite no burner.

House water was hot all day.

House gas furnace was functional so not a gas supply problem.

Later that nite Burner fired up

Is this a problem or sign of failure to come?

tia

It sounds like the thermocouple is weak or misaligned or the pilot jet
may need cleaning or adjusting. None of those are expensive or difficult to
do.

I am not sure what "Tried several times over five hours with pilot off,
relite no burner." means. If you mean you tried to turn on the burner
without the pilot on or right after lighting it, that could be your problem
The main burner should not light with the pilot out and it may take a few
seconds to warm up the sensor to allow the main burner to kick in.
..

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

HvacTech2

Hi Joseph, hope you are having a nice day

On 08-May-05 At About 13:07:36, Joseph Meehan wrote to All
Subject: gas water heater ???s

JM From: "Joseph Meehan"

JM HS wrote:
Hi

ITEM 3 year old 40 gal gas water heater. Uses natural gas All
plumbing and venting 3 years new. Mounted on two foot pedestal in
garage.

Pilot went out Sunday.

Relit Pilot ok Burner would not fire.

Tried several times over five hours with pilot off, relite no
burner.

House water was hot all day.

House gas furnace was functional so not a gas supply problem.

Later that nite Burner fired up

Is this a problem or sign of failure to come?

tia

JM It sounds like the thermocouple is weak or misaligned or the pilot
JM jet may need cleaning or adjusting. None of those are expensive or
JM difficult to do.

JM I am not sure what "Tried several times over five hours with pilot
JM off, relite no burner." means. If you mean you tried to turn on the
JM burner without the pilot on or right after lighting it, that could
JM be your problem The main burner should not light with the pilot
JM out and it may take a few seconds to warm up the sensor to allow
JM the main burner to kick in. ..

And here we are again mr. meehan. what if he has a power vented heater?
I just admit he isn't as clear as he should be but you are answering
questions you know nothing about Again!! it does sound as though he has a
power vented heater.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... Pilots are just plane folks.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Joseph Meehan

HvacTech2 wrote:

And here we are again mr. meehan. what if he has a power vented
heater? I just admit he isn't as clear as he should be but you are
answering questions you know nothing about Again!! it does sound as
though he has a power vented heater.

-= HvacTech2 =-

I am sorry if my existence upsets you.

Perhaps if you have some additional information that p-nut can use,
maybe you should offer it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

HvacTech2

Hi Joseph, hope you are having a nice day

On 09-May-05 At About 06:27:34, Joseph Meehan wrote to All

JM From: "Joseph Meehan"

JM HvacTech2 wrote: ....
And here we are again mr. meehan. what if he has a power vented
heater? I just admit he isn't as clear as he should be but you are
answering questions you know nothing about Again!! it does sound as
though he has a power vented heater.

-= HvacTech2 =-

JM I am sorry if my existence upsets you.

Not your existence. just the fact that you try to answer questions you know
nothing about. you see, if that is a power vented heater with spark ignition
and he were to follow your advice he would be reaching into a pilot that
would give him about a 7000 volt shock. this is why I I constantly try to
correct your advice. there are plenty of pros in here now so why not let them
give correct answers rather than your dangerous ones?

JM Perhaps if you have some additional information that p-nut can use,
JM maybe you should offer it.

I never saw the original but with more info I could give him an answer.
Meanwhile why don't you let the pros handle these questions? Please, before
someone gets hurt.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... No one is born knowing all about this stuff...

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Joseph Meehan

HvacTech2 wrote:

I am sorry if my existence upsets you.

Not your existence. just the fact that you try to answer questions
you know nothing about. you see, if that is a power vented heater
with spark ignition and he were to follow your advice he would be
reaching into a pilot that would give him about a 7000 volt shock.
this is why I I constantly try to correct your advice. there are
plenty of pros in here now so why not let them give correct answers
rather than your dangerous ones?

I am sorry you see life that way. Sorry we don't seem to agree on
advice. At least I offered some. Funny it seems you did not. I think I
was more helpful. You seem to be the only one with a general problem with
the advice I give. I will continue to offer advice and if and when you
point out where I was wrong (and not just wrong in your opinion) I will
acknowledge that and try to add it to my stock of personal knowledge. You
have in the past be helpful in pointing out one or more errors of mine. The
trouble is not everything you point out is an error.

I believe that if you can step back a while we can both profit from
peaceful exchanges of information, rather than insults.

Please continue to look over my shoulder and alert me when you believe I
have made an error.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joseph Meehan

HvacTech2 wrote:

Perhaps if you have some additional information that p-nut can use,
maybe you should offer it.

I never saw the original but with more info I could give him an
answer.

Sorry, That reference WAS my error.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

HvacTech2

Hi Joseph, hope you are having a nice day

On 09-May-05 At About 20:40:50, Joseph Meehan wrote to All

JM From: "Joseph Meehan"

JM HvacTech2 wrote:

I am sorry if my existence upsets you.

JM I am sorry you see life that way. Sorry we don't seem to agree on
JM advice. At least I offered some. Funny it seems you did not.

had I seen the original I would have offered advice. I really am sorry that
That there are people like you here as you are eventually going to hurt
someone. as I said there are plenty of pros in here to answer these
questions so why do you feel it is necessary to give improper and sometimes
dangerous advice? I really would like to understand why you feel you must do
this? to anyone else reading this. Please do not follow his advice as it can
be dangerous or cause injury.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... Sorry, can't think of an insult stupid enough for you.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Colbyt

"HvacTech2" wrote in message

questions so why do you feel it is necessary to give improper and

sometimes
dangerous advice? I really would like to understand why you feel you must

do
this? to anyone else reading this. Please do not follow his advice as it

can
be dangerous or cause injury.

-= HvacTech2 =-

.. Sorry, can't think of an insult stupid enough for you.

Without addressing the specifics of this thread of which I have no knowledge
let me go on he record as stating two facts:

1. Joseph has contributed accurate, timely advice in several thread in this
group in the past.

2. This group is currently being attacked by troll like HVAC people who
ruined their own group and are trying to do the same here. They offer no
constructive advice an attack people who contribute.

Whether "HvacTech2" is one of those trolls or not
I leave it for you to Google, read all the posts he has made and decide for
yourself.

Colbyt