stretch

Default How glue to polythene?

Cori,

Liqiud Nails, Projects and Construction. It will glue polyethylene
sheeting. Whether it is strong enough for your application, I don't
know. Get the right Liquid Nails, there are many varieties. I have
tried many adhesives, most won't work on polyethylent. Note that
liquid nails will initially soften polyethylene, it may take 8 hours to
fully set. Good luck.

Stretch

toller

Is polythene the same as polyethylene?

Not knowing the answer to your question, I decided to do some research. A
great number of glues say they will not work on polyethylene. I only found
one that said it would; a 3M spray adhesive. But your application doesn't
sound right for a spray adhesive.

Some people say they have had success with hot melt glue. I tried it once
and it didn't work; but YMMV.

soup

Cori popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said
How can I best glue to polythene?

The polythene in question is dense and is taken from the nozzle of a
bottle. I need to glue it into place.

Of course I will key the polythene with many scatches but I need a
glue which will stick to it.

Will Araladite stick to polythene?
Will superglue stick to polythene?

May not be relevant but:-
You can find worldwide very expensive LOCTITE glue (Loctite 406,20g),
and its primer (Loctite 770,10g) for soft plastics (polyethelyne).

Always wondered is polythene and polyethelyne the same thing.

yours S

Dave Stanton

Always wondered is polythene and polyethelyne the same thing.

yours S

Polyethelyne is the correct chemical name. Polythene is actually the trade name
for it, coined I believe by ICI.

Dave
again
in the future!!
Main Man

Double sided self adhesive bitumen tape is what we offered when I sold
dpm's. Has benefit of retaining flexibility.

Recall we bought in from part of the Sellotape empire, but you could
also try googling for the company Alfas sealants.

mark b

"Cori" wrote in message
How can I best glue to polythene?

The polythene in question is dense and is taken from the nozzle of a
bottle. I need to glue it into place.

Of course I will key the polythene with many scatches but I need a
glue which will stick to it.

Will Araladite stick to polythene?
Will superglue stick to polythene?

not helpful I know but P.E. is normally fused. Gas and water mains for
example.

mark b

The Natural Philosopher

Cori wrote:

How can I best glue to polythene?

Almost nothing works.

The polythene in question is dense and is taken from the nozzle of a
bottle. I need to glue it into place.

Of course I will key the polythene with many scatches but I need a
glue which will stick to it.

Will Araladite stick to polythene?

Barely. It will stick, but almost any flexing cracks it off. Polyester
resin (car body filler ) is a bit better, but by no means a strong joint.

Will superglue stick to polythene?

No. That's why they make CA nozzles out of it.
Its a polyolefin - a naturally greasy material. Best bet is a solvent
that dissolves carrying a dissolved plastic of a different type. Maybe
contact adhesive?

I am not even sure that many solvents WILL dissolve it. Certainly none
in my ususal range of solvents do - most come in polythene bottles!

If any other alternative to using polythene exists, take it.

The Natural Philosopher

soup wrote:

Always wondered is polythene and polyethelyne the same thing.

No, but polyethylene is...

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Stanton wrote:

Always wondered is polythene and polyethelyne the same thing.

yours S

Polyethelyne is the correct chemical name. Polythene is actually the trade name
for it, coined I believe by ICI.

No, polyethylene is the correct name.

Dave

Jim Yanik

"stretch" wrote in
ups.com:

Cori,

Liqiud Nails, Projects and Construction. It will glue polyethylene
sheeting. Whether it is strong enough for your application, I don't
know. Get the right Liquid Nails, there are many varieties. I have
tried many adhesives, most won't work on polyethylent. Note that
liquid nails will initially soften polyethylene, it may take 8 hours to
fully set. Good luck.

Stretch

Have you seen those TV ads for another brand of construction adhesive that
has a much greater initial stick?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Richard J Kinch

Cori writes:

How can I best glue to poly[e]th[yl]ene?

Cannot be done, for most definitions of "glue".

Some contact adhesives will stick to it, but that is not "gluing" per se.
Bob

"Cori" wrote in message
How can I best glue to polythene?

The polythene in question is dense and is taken from the nozzle of a
bottle. I need to glue it into place.

Of course I will key the polythene with many scatches but I need a
glue which will stick to it.

Heat it up really good with a hair dryer, then use the hot glue gun.

Bob

soup

The Natural Philosopher popped their head over the parapet saw what was
going on and said
soup wrote:

Always wondered is polythene and polyethelyne the same thing.

No, but polyethylene is...

Thanks for correcting me was probably a typo, but I didn't proof read.

--
yours S

Ian_m

"Bob" wrote in message

"Cori" wrote in message
How can I best glue to polythene?

The polythene in question is dense and is taken from the nozzle of a
bottle. I need to glue it into place.

Of course I will key the polythene with many scatches but I need a
glue which will stick to it.

Heat it up really good with a hair dryer, then use the hot glue gun.

Yes it can be glued with difficulty. A PHD student I lodged with at Uni had
to make chemical preparation apparatus out of polythene due to the strange
chemicals he was working with (?). Problem with polythene is it is "oily"
and most glues won't stick.

He assembled is apparatus either by friction welding, rotate one piece in
fast and force onto other piece

or hot air gun and plastic rod

or finally etching surface with chromic acid (nasty stuff) to produce a
"crust" which can then be glued.

Ian_m wrote:

Yes it can be glued with difficulty. A PHD student I lodged with at

Uni had
to make chemical preparation apparatus out of polythene due to the

strange
chemicals he was working with (?). Problem with polythene is it is

"oily"
and most glues won't stick.

He assembled is apparatus either by friction welding, rotate one

piece in
fast and force onto other piece

or hot air gun and plastic rod

or finally etching surface with chromic acid (nasty stuff) to produce

"crust" which can then be glued.

nice explanation of best methods there. The usual home method is by
melting it, either with a heat sealer or for heavier lumps, a heated
pin.

NT

The Natural Philosopher

Ian_m wrote:

or finally etching surface with chromic acid (nasty stuff) to produce a
"crust" which can then be glued.

That is a useful trick.

What is chromic acid?

Metals form alkialis, not acids...so it can't be chromium hydroxide..

Peter Parry

On Tue, 03 May 2005 20:52:54 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Cori writes:

How can I best glue to poly[e]th[yl]ene?

Cannot be done, for most definitions of "glue".

It can, but you need to flame flash the surface first by passing the
flame from something like a propane torch over it briefly. Flashing
is a method of surface preparation for many low surface energy
plastics, such as polypropylene or polyethylene.

Surface energy defines the ability of adhesives to wet plastic
surfaces and allow adhesion. Surface wetting refers to how well a
liquid flows and intimately covers a surface.

Maximum adhesion develops when the adhesive thoroughly wets the
surface to be bonded. The better the wetting the better the surface
contact and the greater the attractive force between the adhesive and
the plastic surface.

Surfaces with low surface energy are more difficult to bond because
conventional adhesives cannot wet them resulting in minimal contact
with the plastic surface and unsatisfactory bonds.

If you put a drop of water on polyethylene it beads, if you put it on
the same surface after flame flashing it will spread. Once flashed
even cyanoacrylate (Superglue) will work successfully on
polyethylene.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
NSN

My friend, who is no longer with us, owned a shop in the Long Beach
(CA) Marina that installed polyethylene water and gas tanks in boats
and RVs. He would buy the PE tanks in all different sizes and the PE
spouts also in different sizes. Because of different applications the
tanks were manufactured with no holes and the spouts were of all
different sizes.

How to "glue" the spout to the tank ??? Well, he would cut a hole in
the tank of the appropriate size in the proper location. He would then
take the proper spout which had a flat flange on it and place it in
his 3/8" drill (with an adapter that he had made). He would then
place the flat surface of the spout flange against the tank directly
over the previously drilled hole. He would then turn on the drill. The
friction of the spout flange against the tank would heat up and melt
both the tank and spout ... thus "welding" the spout to the tank.
This took quite a bit of skill but he was real good at it.

Norm

On Tue, 03 May 2005 17:34:25 +0100, Cori wrote:

How can I best glue to polythene?

The polythene in question is dense and is taken from the nozzle of a
bottle. I need to glue it into place.

Of course I will key the polythene with many scatches but I need a
glue which will stick to it.

Will Araladite stick to polythene?
Will superglue stick to polythene?

Jim Yanik

Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

Cori writes:

How can I best glue to poly[e]th[yl]ene?

Cannot be done, for most definitions of "glue".

Some contact adhesives will stick to it, but that is not "gluing" per se.

Sure is;adhesion using contact adhesives -is- "gluing".

What's YOUR definition of "gluing"?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Ian_m

Ian_m wrote:

or finally etching surface with chromic acid (nasty stuff) to produce a
"crust" which can then be glued.

That is a useful trick.

What is chromic acid?

A quick digging around on google reveals a chromic/sulphuric acid mix is
used to etch plastic prior to plating with metals and other plastic coating.

I had a moment that I thought my chemistry memory had failed me............

Peter Parry

On Wed, 4 May 2005 11:19:31 +0100, "Ian_m" wrote:

or finally etching surface with chromic acid (nasty stuff) to produce a
"crust" which can then be glued.

A quick wipe over with a flame is much easier :-).

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
The Natural Philosopher

Ian_m wrote:

Ian_m wrote:

or finally etching surface with chromic acid (nasty stuff) to produce a
"crust" which can then be glued.

That is a useful trick.

What is chromic acid?

A quick digging around on google reveals a chromic/sulphuric acid mix is
used to etch plastic prior to plating with metals and other plastic coating.

I had a moment that I thought my chemistry memory had failed me............

Chromium trioxide apparently. And that is ACIDIC?

Well its an oxidiser certainly.
Richard J Kinch

Jim Yanik writes:

Cannot be done, for most definitions of "glue".

Some contact adhesives will stick to it, but that is not "gluing" per
se.

Sure is;adhesion using contact adhesives -is- "gluing".

What's YOUR definition of "gluing"?

Bonding with a gluey substance, gluey = viscous. Flowable adhesive that
can produce a gap-filling, liquid- or gas-tight bond.
Jim Yanik

Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

Jim Yanik writes:

Cannot be done, for most definitions of "glue".

Some contact adhesives will stick to it, but that is not "gluing" per
se.

Sure is;adhesion using contact adhesives -is- "gluing".

What's YOUR definition of "gluing"?

Bonding with a gluey substance, gluey = viscous. Flowable adhesive that
can produce a gap-filling, liquid- or gas-tight bond.

How can you define "gluing" as "bonding with a GLUEY substance"?
You're using the term (glue) to define itself.It doesn't work that way.

More accurately,it could be "bonding with a sticky substance or
'adhesive'.",and contact adhesives are sticky.
They also are "gluey",they flow,too. How do you think the contact adhesive
gets onto the object to be bonded? It either gets painted on as a liquid,or
sprayed from a can;again-liquid in aerosol form.

It doesn't have to be "gap-filling",either.It just has to adhere between
contact points.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Richard J Kinch

Jim Yanik writes:

How can you define "gluing" as "bonding with a GLUEY substance"?
You're using the term (glue) to define itself.It doesn't work that way.

You are guilty, literally, of quibbling.

Dave Stanton

Polyethelyne is the correct chemical name. Polythene is actually the
trade name for it, coined I believe by ICI.

No, polyethylene is the correct name.

Dave

Thats what I said or cant you read.

Dave

again
in the future!!
Doug Miller

In article , Dave Stanton wrote:

Polyethelyne is the correct chemical name. Polythene is actually the
trade name for it, coined I believe by ICI.

No, polyethylene is the correct name.

Dave

Thats what I said or cant you read.

He can read just fine, and, no, that isn't what you said. You misspelled it.
He didn't.

--
Regards,

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Stanton wrote:

Polyethelyne is the correct chemical name. Polythene is actually the
trade name for it, coined I believe by ICI.

No, polyethylene is the correct name.

Dave

Thats what I said or cant you read.

No, I can read, but you can't, and you can't spell either.

Look again. Carefully.

Dave

Elessar

No, I can read, but you can't, and you can't spell either.

and then wrote in another post almost immediately:

If UI wabnted to make a glass bibre seat that was to be covered in foam

I;d do this

The Natural Philosopher

Elessar wrote:

No, I can read, but you can't, and you can't spell either.

and then wrote in another post almost immediately:

If UI wabnted to make a glass bibre seat that was to be covered in foam

I;d do this

That's typing, not spelling.

Matt

Yes, but what window did she come in through?