Doc

Default Phillips DuraMax bulbs - seem to be crap

I've gone through about 6 of these supposed "1 year" bulbs in about 3
months, in light sockets in the garage that are only on sporadically.
They're shorter lived than the regular cheapie bulbs I've been using.

Anyone find them to last anything like what's claimed for them?

Sparky

Doc wrote:
I've gone through about 6 of these supposed "1 year" bulbs in about 3
months, in light sockets in the garage that are only on sporadically.
They're shorter lived than the regular cheapie bulbs I've been using.

Anyone find them to last anything like what's claimed for them?

Most lightbulbs are rated for "X" number of hours at 4 hours per day, 7
days a week. Phillips Duramax bulbs are among the best for logevity in
normal household situations, however, garage door openers create
vibration which will reduce the life of the bulb. As well, if you live
out in the country (or perhaps even in an urban setting) where power
spikes are frequent, these will also dramatically shorten the life of
the bulb.

Depending on where you are on the planet, I'd suggest switching to a
13-15w compact flourescent (Commercial Electric, commonly sold at Home
Depot, or Phillips are my picks) which will normally last 5-7 years and
produce more lumens than the 60w incandescent bulbs they are commonly
compared to. As a bonus, they are much more energy efficient and the
ozone layer and your bank account will thank you in the long run.

If you don't like the temperature of the light they emit, Phillips makes
an excellent "Country" bulb (they are marked as such) which are
advertised to work up to 6000 hours. You might also consider trying a
rough service bulb.

Having said that, I've been using DuraMax bulbs forever and have had
very good success with them.

Finally, consider returning the bulbs to the store where you bought
them. If that batch of bulbs got bashed around during shipping, it could
cause premature failure.

Cheers
Sparky
Larry G

"Doc" wrote in message ...
I've gone through about 6 of these supposed "1 year" bulbs in about 3
months, in light sockets in the garage that are only on sporadically.
They're shorter lived than the regular cheapie bulbs I've been using.

Anyone find them to last anything like what's claimed for them?

I bought one-year bulbs (don't know about Phillips) in an older house, and
they'd go out in about a month. Really disappointing. Then I moved to a
newer place. I've had the light on literally two years, and it's still going
strong. ::knock wood::

So, I think it depends on wiring, power surges. I also believe the old place
was haunted, which could have affected the electricity. Don't laugh until it
happens to you. ;-)

At any rate, try a few and just test it out. It may be just where you're
living.

Larry

mike60510

Sparky wrote:
Doc wrote:
[...]

I've had similar problems with this brand of lamps. Did you purchase
them at Home Depot?

Joseph Meehan

Doc wrote:
I've gone through about 6 of these supposed "1 year" bulbs in about 3
months, in light sockets in the garage that are only on sporadically.
They're shorter lived than the regular cheapie bulbs I've been using.

Anyone find them to last anything like what's claimed for them?

Likely the problem was not the lamps, but rather vibration from a door
opener or other equipment. I might add that three months continuous duty is
a good year of the normal cycle that is used for most ratings of lamp life.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joseph Meehan

Doc wrote:
I've gone through about 6 of these supposed "1 year" bulbs in about 3
months, in light sockets in the garage that are only on sporadically.
They're shorter lived than the regular cheapie bulbs I've been using.

Anyone find them to last anything like what's claimed for them?

From their web site

"Based upon an average of hours usage per day/7 days per week. Hours differ
between products, and there are exceptions. See individual packages for
details."

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Doc

"mike60510" wrote in message
oups.com...

I've had similar problems with this brand of lamps. Did you purchase
them at Home Depot?

Yes.

Doc

"Sparky" wrote in message

Most lightbulbs are rated for "X" number of hours at 4 hours per day, 7
days a week. Phillips Duramax bulbs are among the best for logevity in
normal household situations, however, garage door openers create
vibration which will reduce the life of the bulb. As well, if you live
out in the country (or perhaps even in an urban setting) where power
spikes are frequent, these will also dramatically shorten the life of
the bulb.

Don't have a garage door opener. Just the celing sockets. They have a much
shorter lifespan than other bulbs I've been using. I doubt on average
they're on even 2 hours a day.

Don Klipstein

In article , Joseph Meehan wrote:
Doc wrote:
I've gone through about 6 of these supposed "1 year" bulbs in about 3
months, in light sockets in the garage that are only on sporadically.
They're shorter lived than the regular cheapie bulbs I've been using.

Anyone find them to last anything like what's claimed for them?

Likely the problem was not the lamps, but rather vibration from a door
opener or other equipment. I might add that three months continuous duty is
a good year of the normal cycle that is used for most ratings of lamp life.

I would want to add that stress factors include people dancing
vigorously or children jumping around or even in worse cases
children bouncing balls where the jolts impact the lightbulbs in
question... Also doors slamming hard if that is jolting the lightbulbs in
question.

- Don Klipstein )
Ed Clarke

Doc wrote:
I've gone through about 6 of these supposed "1 year" bulbs in about 3
months, in light sockets in the garage that are only on sporadically.
They're shorter lived than the regular cheapie bulbs I've been using.

Anyone find them to last anything like what's claimed for them?

Likely the problem was not the lamps, but rather vibration from a door
opener or other equipment. I might add that three months continuous duty is
a good year of the normal cycle that is used for most ratings of lamp life.

I would want to add that stress factors include people dancing
vigorously or children jumping around or even in worse cases
children bouncing balls where the jolts impact the lightbulbs in
question... Also doors slamming hard if that is jolting the lightbulbs in
question.

The Philips bulbs are giving me bad service here also. Did you buy them at
Home Depot? In my case, they are 40W "fan light" bulbs in a non-fan chandelier
fixture. This lamp is in our dining room with no vibration - on in the early
morning and then again at night: three on-off cycles per day on average. Damn
things burn out frequently (month or two at most).

Home Depot has started carrying GE fanlight bulbs - no bulb failures since I
switched brands.

--
This signature left blank.