Peter Reilley

Default Do unused floricient bulbs go bad?

About 5 years ago I installed a bunch of fluorescent light
fixtures in my shop. They all used the 4 foot bulbs that
are rated for 34 watts. At the same time I bought a box
of 10 bulbs for spares. Now some of the original bulbs are
starting to go so I replaced them with my spares. More than
half of my spare bulbs are bad. They start OK but flicker
on and off continuously. When I hit a good bulb, they work
OK so the fixture is good.

Do fluorescent bulbs die with age even when not used?
I stored them next to a heating duct. In the winter they
are warmed to perhaps 130 degrees F. Would this have
an effect?

They are Philips Con-O-Watt Cool White bulbs.

Pete.

henning

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:40:53 -0500, "Peter Reilley" wrote:
About 5 years ago I installed a bunch of fluorescent light
fixtures in my shop. They all used the 4 foot bulbs that
are rated for 34 watts. At the same time I bought a box
of 10 bulbs for spares. Now some of the original bulbs are
starting to go so I replaced them with my spares. More than
half of my spare bulbs are bad. They start OK but flicker
on and off continuously. When I hit a good bulb, they work
OK so the fixture is good.

Do fluorescent bulbs die with age even when not used?
I stored them next to a heating duct. In the winter they
are warmed to perhaps 130 degrees F. Would this have
an effect?

They are Philips Con-O-Watt Cool White bulbs.

Pete.

I asume there is a certain ammount of diffusion in and out of the buld . That would kill it in the long run. But 5 years seems like a very short shelflife. Do they
get a lot of temperature changes?
Henning

John

Peter Reilley wrote:

About 5 years ago I installed a bunch of fluorescent light
fixtures in my shop. They all used the 4 foot bulbs that
are rated for 34 watts. At the same time I bought a box
of 10 bulbs for spares. Now some of the original bulbs are
starting to go so I replaced them with my spares. More than
half of my spare bulbs are bad. They start OK but flicker
on and off continuously. When I hit a good bulb, they work
OK so the fixture is good.

Do fluorescent bulbs die with age even when not used?
I stored them next to a heating duct. In the winter they
are warmed to perhaps 130 degrees F. Would this have
an effect?

Try to flip a tube end for end around. That sometimes works.
--
SATOR AREPO TENET OPERA ROTAS
Have 5 nice days! John

John Ings

wrote:

Do fluorescent bulbs die with age even when not used?
I stored them next to a heating duct. In the winter they
are warmed to perhaps 130 degrees F. Would this have
an effect?

"Typically, the lamp shelf life is over five years. However, long term
storage should include packaging with desiccants."

http://www.jkllamps.com/faqs.html

Wayne

Are you using 40 watt bulbs in the 34 watt light?

Peter Reilley

I had a better look at the light fixture. There is no ballast transformer,
only two
plastic boxes that have two wires attached. There is no label giving
wattage
rating. The original bulbs say F40CW and "made in USA", no brand name.

The new (bad) bulbs say Philips Econ-O-Watt F40CW/RS/EW 34 watt USA.

If I swap the remaining old but good bulbs around, the fixtures work OK.

Pete.

"Wayne" makowicki wrote in message
Are you using 40 watt bulbs in the 34 watt light?

Peter Reilley

wrote:
[...]

They are stored above a heating duct. Thus they cycle on and off with the
furnace.
Could this kill them?

Pete.

Peter Reilley

"John" wrote in message
Peter Reilley wrote:

[...]

I tried your suggestion but no improvement.

Thanks,
Pete.

Stan Schaefer

"Peter Reilley" wrote in message ...
About 5 years ago I installed a bunch of fluorescent light
fixtures in my shop. They all used the 4 foot bulbs that
are rated for 34 watts. At the same time I bought a box
of 10 bulbs for spares. Now some of the original bulbs are
starting to go so I replaced them with my spares. More than
half of my spare bulbs are bad. They start OK but flicker
on and off continuously. When I hit a good bulb, they work
OK so the fixture is good.

Do fluorescent bulbs die with age even when not used?
I stored them next to a heating duct. In the winter they
are warmed to perhaps 130 degrees F. Would this have
an effect?

They are Philips Con-O-Watt Cool White bulbs.

Pete.

Ordinarily, tubes don't deteriorate just sitting there. I supposed
you could get enough vibration to bust the starting filaments or the
contacts could get corroded from too much moisture, but they're like
normal light bulbs, nothing much to go bad from just sitting there.

You might have a marginal ballast, new tubes are harder to start and
will usually flicker a little(or a lot) until the discharge stabilizes
as the tube warms up. Sometimes takes a half hour or better,
depending on the ambient temperature. You could also have some
corroded contacts on either the tube or the fixture.

Is your shop inside or outside? If it's an unheated shop outside in
the winter, you won't get satisfactory results with regular tubes in
cold weather, you'd need outside-rated flourescent tubes. These are
higher pressure inside to make cold starting easier and have a shorter
life. There's some higher-voltage ballasts rated for outside use,
too, same reason. I've never used one but my dad installed a lot of
them at service stations.

Stan

Martin H. Eastburn

Peter Reilley wrote:

I had a better look at the light fixture. There is no ballast transformer,
only two
plastic boxes that have two wires attached. There is no label giving
wattage
rating. The original bulbs say F40CW and "made in USA", no brand name.

The new (bad) bulbs say Philips Econ-O-Watt F40CW/RS/EW 34 watt USA.

If I swap the remaining old but good bulbs around, the fixtures work OK.

Pete.

"Wayne" makowicki wrote in message

Are you using 40 watt bulbs in the 34 watt light?

Are those the ones with the green ring around one or both ends ? - a bit skinny also ?
They require different ballast units. I remember when the (prior) company changed out the
old ones for the new type - got them free with rebate from the city. Saved tons of electricity...

Wondering -

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Peter Reilley

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
m...
Peter Reilley wrote:

[...]

They do have green rings around both ends. They are the normal diameter.
What does the green ring mean?

Thanks,
Pete.

Glenn Lyford

They do have green rings around both ends. They are the normal
diameter. What does the green ring mean?

Energy saving bulb, needs an energy saving balast to run
correctly.

--Glenn Lyford
Jim Stewart

Glenn Lyford wrote:

They do have green rings around both ends. They are the normal
diameter. What does the green ring mean?

Energy saving bulb, needs an energy saving balast to run
correctly.

Don't say that to the 20 or so I've installed at
my office. They don't know and they've been working
fine for about 4 years.

Gerald Miller

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:27:51 GMT, Glenn Lyford
wrote:

They do have green rings around both ends. They are the normal
diameter. What does the green ring mean?

Energy saving bulb, needs an energy saving balast to run
correctly.

--Glenn Lyford

OK, so what is the payback time for these tubes and ballasts assuming
an eight hour per day "on" time. How long before I see significant
savings in my pocket.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Martin H. Eastburn

Peter Reilley wrote:

[...]

I thought the green ends were :
1. more efficient
2. requires special ballasts
3. No Hg within. (requiring different ballasts to start...)

That is what I got in passing.

I think you can find something on the web at Phillips or Ge or somewhere.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Bruce L. Bergman

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:09:22 -0500, "Peter Reilley"
wrote:
"Wayne" makowicki wrote in message
Are you using 40 watt bulbs in the 34 watt light?

I had a better look at the light fixture. There is no ballast transformer,
only two plastic boxes that have two wires attached. There is no
label giving wattage rating. The original bulbs say F40CW and
"made in USA", no brand name.

The new (bad) bulbs say Philips Econ-O-Watt F40CW/RS/EW 34
watt USA.
If I swap the remaining old but good bulbs around, the fixtures work OK.

Pete.

If those are the cheapie Lights Of America fixtures, they have
either simple reactance ballasts and some sort of a starter -
old-style preheat system. Or a homebrew electronic ballast that isn't
worth the powder it'd take to blow it to...

If you paid under $10 for the fixtures, they're junk. The cheapest
half-decent Lithonia (or other real name brand) shop lights are about
$15 each, and have a real rapid start ballast inside that can handle
the ES/EW lamps.

I toss the LOA or other ultra-cheap imported fixtures at the first
sign of trouble, they aren't even worth messing with.

Preheat ballasts and newer Rapid Start lamps do not get along,
especially Energy Saver 34W lamps and double especially the
low-mercury Alto lamps with the green end-shells.

And consider that the lower mercury bulbs may need to be warm to
start - the old rule was 50F to 60F range to start a regular 40W
fluorescent, and the Alto is probably more sensitive. Cold
temperatures require High Output lamps, special ballasts, or both.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Dan Caster

Energy saving bulbs are really a crock. The bulbs are lower wattage
bulbs ( 34 watts instead of 40 ). So they use less power, but guess
what they produce less light. So if whoever did the lighting design
installed more fixtures than necessary, you can use energy saving
bulbs and save some money. You would have saved more by installing
fewer fixtures and using the full wattage bulbs.

Assuming 8 hr a day and 34 watts instead of 40, well that would be 48
watt hours a day. Assuming 50 weeks at 5 days a week, that would be
12 kwh and at 8 cents a kwh, why almost a dollar.

Dan

Gerald Miller wrote in message

Energy saving bulb, needs an energy saving balast to run
correctly.

--Glenn Lyford

OK, so what is the payback time for these tubes and ballasts assuming
an eight hour per day "on" time. How long before I see significant
savings in my pocket.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Peter Reilley

wrote:
"Wayne" makowicki wrote in message
Are you using 40 watt bulbs in the 34 watt light?

I had a better look at the light fixture. There is no ballast

transformer,
only two plastic boxes that have two wires attached. There is no
label giving wattage rating. The original bulbs say F40CW and
"made in USA", no brand name.

The new (bad) bulbs say Philips Econ-O-Watt F40CW/RS/EW 34
watt USA.
If I swap the remaining old but good bulbs around, the fixtures work OK.

Pete.

If those are the cheapie Lights Of America fixtures, they have
either simple reactance ballasts and some sort of a starter -
old-style preheat system. Or a homebrew electronic ballast that isn't
worth the powder it'd take to blow it to...

They probably are LOA.

[...]

I think that you are probably right on. It looks like I will be changing
some fixtures.

Thanks,
Pete.

Bruce L. Bergman

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:30:55 -0500, "Peter Reilley"
wrote:

I think that you are probably right on. It looks like I will be changing
some fixtures.

Home Depot has good prices on the real Lithonia shop light fixtures
with real ballasts and real lampholders (that can really be repaired
instead of just tossed and replaced). Their $15 one isn't bad and the
$25 one is nice, with an oversized reflector. If you don't have a HD,
check with Lowes or one of the other biggies.

And look at the Special Order book for lots of other ideas.

Oh, and to get back to the original subject: Yes, lamps can go bad
just sitting around, but after maybe 10 or 20 years. They can lose
their vacuum through flaws in the glass, the seals around the wire
leads at the ends, and other odd stuff.

So if you find some oldies in the rafters try them, worst case you
toss a few bad ones. You can check the filament resistance with an
ohmmeter to toss the no-good used ones.

-- Bruce --

ATP

Peter Reilley wrote:
"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in
message ...
wrote:
[...]

Spamtrapped address: Remove the python and the invalid, and use a
net.

I think that you are probably right on. It looks like I will be
changing some fixtures.

Thanks,
Pete.

Responding to Bruce- LOA sucks big time, that's for sure. As far as the cold
temperatures, I have a bunch of salvaged T8 fixtures in my garage and they
will start at 10 degrees- light output is reduced, but they always come on.

JM

quoting:
About 5 years ago I installed a bunch of fluorescent light
fixtures in my shop. They all used the 4 foot bulbs that
are rated for 34 watts. At the same time I bought a box
of 10 bulbs for spares. Now some of the original bulbs are
starting to go so I replaced them with my spares. More than
half of my spare bulbs are bad. They start OK but flicker
on and off continuously. When I hit a good bulb, they work
OK so the fixture is good.

Do fluorescent bulbs die with age even when not used?
I stored them next to a heating duct. In the winter they
are warmed to perhaps 130 degrees F. Would this have
an effect?

They are Philips Con-O-Watt Cool White bulbs.

Pete.

Fluorescent bulbs do not normally go bad by sitting in storage. However,
tiny defects in the seals can slowly let air into the bulbs. It is very
possible that air has made its way into the bulbs in the ceiling also, thus
making them go out. Another known defect, the bulbs could have not been
givin enough mercury, and making their light output drop suddenly.

On the general side of things, 34w bulbs are more prone to non-starting when
something's acting up. If it doesn't work, try it with 40w bulbs. Also,
stay away from 34w bulbs if you're using very inexpensive "shoplite" type
fixtures, or Lights of America brand. The ballasts in these cheap fixtures
often can't handle 34w bulbs. 34w bulbs do work in the cheap fixtures when
they're new, but problems always crop up years later. All in all, 40w bulbs
are always brighter than 34w ones, and are compatible with the majority of
ballasts. It's a good idea to stick with 40w bulbs.

Gerald Miller

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:24:07 GMT, (JM)
wrote:

quoting:
[...]

YEAH-BUTT they're not politically correctly energy efficient! Just
like the new PC toilets that you need to flush twice after every beer.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Halopin G9 40W bulbs? Rufus A UK diy 2 July 21st 04 04:43 PM
Damn downlighters - can't unscrew bulbs!!! Mike Jones UK diy 17 February 12th 04 06:03 AM
Bulbs blowing (again). Mal UK diy 7 November 17th 03 09:01 PM
Incandescent bulbs - Lumen output ? froggers UK diy 7 November 1st 03 07:42 PM