Martin H. Eastburn

Default Do unused floricient bulbs go bad?

Peter Reilley wrote:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
m...

Peter Reilley wrote:

I had a better look at the light fixture. There is no ballast

transformer,

only two
plastic boxes that have two wires attached. There is no label giving
wattage
rating. The original bulbs say F40CW and "made in USA", no brand name.

The new (bad) bulbs say Philips Econ-O-Watt F40CW/RS/EW 34 watt USA.

If I swap the remaining old but good bulbs around, the fixtures work OK.

Pete.

"Wayne" makowicki wrote in message

Are you using 40 watt bulbs in the 34 watt light?

Are those the ones with the green ring around one or both ends ? - a bit

skinny also ?

They require different ballast units. I remember when the (prior)

company changed out the

old ones for the new type - got them free with rebate from the city.

Saved tons of electricity...

Wondering -

Martin

They do have green rings around both ends. They are the normal diameter.
What does the green ring mean?

Thanks,
Pete.

I thought the green ends were :
1. more efficient
2. requires special ballasts
3. No Hg within. (requiring different ballasts to start...)

That is what I got in passing.

I think you can find something on the web at Phillips or Ge or somewhere.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer