Mr Angry

Default Crap B&Q Mains Halogen Spots

If your considering buying mains halogen spotlights from B&Q here's my
experience which may make you reconsider.

I recently brought 18 Mains Halogen Potlights from B&Q, and found
after fitting that 6 of the halogen bulbs failed within 3 days. I
returned the bulbs together with the invoice as proof of purchase and
was told there was no garauntee on the halogen bulbs.

I pointed out that the bulbs concerned GU10's had a 1500 hour
gaurantee, as indicated on the packaging of the spare bulbs.
To my amazement the manager of the Kidderminster store argued that
these were not the same bulbs even though the model GU10 was clearly
printed on the lamp.

He said the bulbs supplied were only intended to last a short time
hence the price of the halogen lamps, and the replacements would last
longer. I was also told that several people had returned these lamps
and had been told the same.

Well if these lamps are fitted with sub-standard bulbs it should be
written on the box which it is not. I intend to report this to the
trading standards on principle not because of the cost involved.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced these problems with the
mains halogen spotlights from B&Q.
Brad

I've not heard of this I must admit. If you had returned them to my store (I
work for B&Q) I would have replaced the bulbs no problem.

Do you know the name of the manager who you spoke to in Kidderminster?

Brad

"Mr Angry" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Andy Hall

On 8 Mar 2004 07:08:46 -0800, (Mr Angry)
wrote:

[...]

I agree. If the lamps are short lifetime, then they should state
that clearly on the packaging. It would be reasonable to assume that
lifetime is the same as replacement lamps from the same store unless
it states otherwise.

The guy's a jobsworth. Bypass him, return the product and insist on
compensation for the wasted trip.

Failing that, TS and Small Claims Procedure.

Nil illegitimis carborundum.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
NewsGroups

"Mr Angry" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Surley this is against SOGA and also Trades Descriptions. If you have
purchased these items, even if they are marked at a low price, they should
work in accordance with the instructions/manuals/box description e.g. the
box says that the bulb should last 1500 hours. Are there any signs on the
box/manual/till reciept that the bulbs are different to those specified. If
not, then you have been sold something that is different to what was
advertised for sale, so they are breaking Trades Descriptions. Get the local
trading standards involved.

Brad

Another thought... can you give me the barcode number of the lights and I'll
check with the supplier when I'm back at work tomorrow.

It might be true that they are short life light bulbs.. or it might be BS.
If it is true though I would hope that they would say so on the box. The
last company I worked for sold inkjet printers and I used to hate the way
that some of the manufacturers supplied machines with half empty
cartridges.. but they justified not putting this on the boxes because these
were available to buy separately as "light use". No one ever stocked the
light use cartridges as they were only about £5 cheaper than a full one.

From a retailers perspective I hate the cheap tricks some companies use and
if one of B&Q's suppliers is doing this I will raise it as a trading issue
with the relevant people.

Brad

"Mr Angry" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Brad

GU10 is simply a stardard size of bulb, many manufactures will produce these
bulbs.. no doubt of different quality. Reading Mr Angrys posting I don't
think the box actually stated which brand of bulbs were in the box nor their
expected lifespan. Just because B&Q sell replacement bulbs with a guaranteed
lifespan does not indicate that any light they sell will have these bulbs
included.

My concern is that a manufacturer would supply bulbs designed to last a
couple of days without warning customers, I don't think they do though.

Brad

"NewsGroups" wrote in message

"Mr Angry" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Tony Bryer

In article , Mr Angry
wrote:
He said the bulbs supplied were only intended to last a short time
hence the price of the halogen lamps, and the replacements would
last longer.

Inspired by the fact that quite a few printers are reputed to come
with half-full ink cartridges so you have to replace them before long
perhaps? FWIW the mains halogen bulbs in my mum's kitchen have a
relatively short life *and* take out the MCB when they fail.

Christian McArdle

I recently brought 18 Mains Halogen Potlights from B&Q, and found
after fitting that 6 of the halogen bulbs failed within 3 days.

How did you install the light fittings? Perhaps the biggest effect on
halogen bulb life is the method of installation. In particular, these
fittings run hot and need good airflow to keep the temperature down. If this
doesn't happen because they are fitted in an insulated roof void, then the
bulbs will pop like corn.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

Inspired by the fact that quite a few printers are reputed to come
with half-full ink cartridges so you have to replace them before long
perhaps?

When I bought my printer, it came with a free second toner cartridge in the
box. Both cartridges were (clearly marked, so no deception) half full. Why
they just didn't supply a single full cartridge, I have no idea. It gives me
more spares for refilling, I suppose!

Christian.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Brad" writes:
GU10 is simply a stardard size of bulb, many manufactures will produce these
bulbs.. no doubt of different quality. Reading Mr Angrys posting I don't
think the box actually stated which brand of bulbs were in the box nor their
expected lifespan. Just because B&Q sell replacement bulbs with a guaranteed
lifespan does not indicate that any light they sell will have these bulbs
included.

My concern is that a manufacturer would supply bulbs designed to last a
couple of days without warning customers, I don't think they do though.

Not as such.
However, it would not surprise me if manufactucturer
found the cheapest possible lamps to install. You
might also check they are 240V and not, say 220V lamps.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Parish

Tony Bryer wrote:

FWIW the mains halogen bulbs in my mum's kitchen have a
relatively short life *and* take out the MCB when they fail.

Replace the MCB(s) with type C ones. I did and haven't had any nuisance
tripping from popping lamps since.
Parish

Christian McArdle wrote:

Inspired by the fact that quite a few printers are reputed to come
with half-full ink cartridges so you have to replace them before long
perhaps?

When I bought my printer, it came with a free second toner cartridge in the
box. Both cartridges were (clearly marked, so no deception) half full. Why
they just didn't supply a single full cartridge, I have no idea. It gives me
more spares for refilling, I suppose!

Do you find refilling works OK? Which refill kit do you use?

Christian.

In uk.d-i-y, NewsGroups wrote:

Surley this is against SOGA and also Trades Descriptions. If you have
purchased these items, even if they are marked at a low price, they should
work in accordance with the instructions/manuals/box description e.g. the
box says that the bulb should last 1500 hours. Are there any signs on the
box/manual/till reciept that the bulbs are different to those specified. If
not, then you have been sold something that is different to what was
advertised for sale, so they are breaking Trades Descriptions. Get the local
trading standards involved.

pour material="water" temperature_max="8" temperature_units="celsius"

At least at the two B&Q whorehouses I frequent, there are *very* clear
notices on the shelves concerning their halogen light fittings. The gist
of these notices is that the bulbs supplied in the packaging are a bonus
freebie, supplied out of the goodness of B&Q's heart, to allow you to test
the fitting is functional upon installation, but that they will *not* replace
those included bulbs if they fail.

(One might even see an objective justification for this practice: it's
plausible that container- and pallet-loads of bulbs-shipped-on-their-own
are rather better protected against mechanical shocks, if not treated
more kindly by GudzIn-GudzOut handlers, than loads made up of generic
D-I-Y Goods. On top of which, mfrs of the fittings aren't going to bother
spending any more than they can get away with on the included bulbs...)

Now, it seems that the Customer Relations people at the OP's B&Q may have
failed to explain this policy politely, charmingly, disarmningly, and
explicitly: but you'd have to establish the absence of any notification
of the type I've seen (without paying special attention!) at my local
B&Qs...
/pour

Stefek
Tony Bryer

In article , Parish wrote:
Replace the MCB(s) with type C ones. I did and haven't had any nuisance
tripping from popping lamps since.

Thanks for the tip

Tim \(Remove NOSPAM.

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
I recently brought 18 Mains Halogen Potlights from B&Q, and found
after fitting that 6 of the halogen bulbs failed within 3 days.

How did you install the light fittings? Perhaps the biggest effect on
halogen bulb life is the method of installation. In particular, these
fittings run hot and need good airflow to keep the temperature down. If

this
doesn't happen because they are fitted in an insulated roof void, then the
bulbs will pop like corn.

The truth of the matter is that no mains voltage 50mm type bulb will last
anything like "long enough" due to its flawed design- and its popularity is
only because of the convienience factor of not having to install a
transformer as with a 12v unit.

Tim..

Tony

"Mr Angry" wrote in message
m...
[...]

This is a bit like a laser printer I recently bought. A print cart was
supplied and only on RTFMing did I find the amount of toner supplied in the
'free' cart covered only 1000 pages instead of the normal 5000 page
replacement carts. No where did it say this on the box!

This may be standard practice but I didn't know and I justified the price of
the printer based on a full toner cart.

All dodgy dealing IMO.

Tony

Lee

I find B&Q light fittings are expensive anyway.
I bought some *very* cheap mains halogen fittings from Ikea, each of
which came with five separately packaged Osram 2000hr GU10 lamps.

Now if Ikea can manage it.... of course the fitting itself is
cheap crap

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com
G&M

"Mr Angry" wrote in message
m...
He said the bulbs supplied were only intended to last a short time

hence the price of the halogen lamps, and the replacements would last
longer. I was also told that several people had returned these lamps
and had been told the same.

Well if these lamps are fitted with sub-standard bulbs it should be
written on the box which it is not. I intend to report this to the
trading standards on principle not because of the cost involved.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced these problems with the
mains halogen spotlights from B&Q

Yep - 2 out of 6 gone in under 2 weeks.

G&M

"Brad" wrote in message
Another thought... can you give me the barcode number of the lights and

I'll
check with the supplier when I'm back at work tomorrow.

It might be true that they are short life light bulbs.. or it might be BS.
If it is true though I would hope that they would say so on the box. The
last company I worked for sold inkjet printers and I used to hate the way
that some of the manufacturers supplied machines with half empty
cartridges.. but they justified not putting this on the boxes because

these
were available to buy separately as "light use". No one ever stocked the
light use cartridges as they were only about £5 cheaper than a full one.

From a retailers perspective I hate the cheap tricks some companies use

and
if one of B&Q's suppliers is doing this I will raise it as a trading issue
with the relevant people.

Could you raise the crap switches fitted to so many of the Performance Pro
range. Sanders, plane and several others have all failed with the switch.
B&Q refunded my money without argument but these would be good tools if they
just fixed this.

John

I find it annoying that a supplier seems to go out of its way to produce
something that is substandard. In the case of the bulb, possibly 90% of it
is of good quality - the glass, the contacts, the packing, the shipping,
etc. Why spoil it by fitting a poor quality filament?

It is in the same category as cheap batteries. Such a waste of resources and
I bet Duracell enjoy better profits.

--

Regards

John

"G&M" wrote in message

"Brad" wrote in message
Another thought... can you give me the barcode number of the lights and

I'll
check with the supplier when I'm back at work tomorrow.

It might be true that they are short life light bulbs.. or it might be

BS.
If it is true though I would hope that they would say so on the box.

The
last company I worked for sold inkjet printers and I used to hate the

way
that some of the manufacturers supplied machines with half empty
cartridges.. but they justified not putting this on the boxes because

these
were available to buy separately as "light use". No one ever stocked the
light use cartridges as they were only about £5 cheaper than a full one.

From a retailers perspective I hate the cheap tricks some companies use

and
if one of B&Q's suppliers is doing this I will raise it as a trading

issue
with the relevant people.

Could you raise the crap switches fitted to so many of the Performance Pro
range. Sanders, plane and several others have all failed with the switch.
B&Q refunded my money without argument but these would be good tools if

they
just fixed this.

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Harry Ziman

Even if the box did not say 1500 hours there is an expectation that the
goods are fit for purpose which they clearly were not. Your claim is against
the retailer, not the manufacturer and I would have thought it cast iron.
"NewsGroups" wrote in message

"Mr Angry" wrote in message
m...
[...]

David Hearn

Mr Angry wrote:
If your considering buying mains halogen spotlights from B&Q here's my
experience which may make you reconsider.

I recently brought 18 Mains Halogen Potlights from B&Q, and found
after fitting that 6 of the halogen bulbs failed within 3 days. I
returned the bulbs together with the invoice as proof of purchase and
was told there was no garauntee on the halogen bulbs.

My 4 GU10 spot light fitting from B&Q came with 4x GU10 bulbs. After about
4 months we've had no problem with any of them.

If I find one gone tomorrow - It'll be because I posted this!

David

rob

We had similar problems with bulbs popping, in our kitchen we have 2 light
fittings with 4 bulbs in each, we estimated that in the 2 years we had them,
we had to change the bulbs at a rate of 2 a month. thats 48 bulbs at 6.99
ave price total cost £335. The light fittings only cost about £25 each.
I made a complaint to the manager and pointed out that in the last year I
had spent about £6000 there, whilst building the extension. He didnt even
bother to argue, told us to get two new fittings off the shelf.
Could not fault them at all. This store made 40 odd million profit last
year, so it was nothing to them really.
He gave one piece of advice which is worth noting, to buy a dimmer switch to
reduce the surge of electric when switching on the lights, this works.
New lights up 6 months, 1 bulb gone. better than before.
rob

"Mr Angry" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Ev'ryday Me

"Mr Angry" wrote in message
m...

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced these problems with the
mains halogen spotlights from B&Q.

I recently bought a four set light and a 3 set light, dimmable 230v units.
Out of the 7 halogens, 4 blew within one week. I returned these and
customer services told me to get the boxes from the shelves and replace the
lights, faulty for new. I went away happy until the same thing happened the
following week.

I then took all 7 back and insisted that they exchange what I considered to
be sub-standard lamps for better ones. After much trying to blag there way
out of the situation by saying stuff like I've got earth faults etc. they
did swap them all for more expensive lamps and no extra charge to me. The
lamps in the end came to more than the units.

These lights haven't failed yet and they've been in for 6 months now.

Stand your ground and take names and times if you have to.

---
Me

T i m

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 22:26:33 -0000, "Ev'ryday Me"
wrote:

"Mr Angry" wrote in message
om...

[...]

My Daughter and I did similar with one of those little desklamps with
the telescopic arms. We bought it to illuminate a small 'breeding'
tank for her tropical fish. The tank was too small for any std light
fitting so I cut out the black plastic lid and replaced it with some
clear sheet. We placed the lamp so it shone down from a good 8" above
the clear lid and all was well for about 3 months (it was on a
timeswitch and on from 8am to 6pm).

Then the bulb failed I replaced it (checked fuse etc) but noticed the
plastic base had melted slightly (and presubanly the transformer had
gone o/c). I took it back (to an upmarket shed g) and told them the
story. The assistant took it to the manager who said I could change it
for another "this time" but it shouldn't really be used for that
purpose?

I said it was used for the purpose of creating light and as there was
no mention of any restrictions to how long it should be on a day? I
would also return the replacement if it failed!

2 months later it did fail (a different model as well) and they
started to kick up more of a fuss re replacement. I stood my ground,
kept polite and went away with another different model (even paid the
difference to show I wasn't trying to con them..).

My challenge was for them to show me where it said that I couldn't
leave the light on 24/7 if I chose to? I had no issue replacing a
failed bulb. (I think I also *mentioned* the words 'merchantable
quality', 'fit for purpose' and TS g)

All the best ..

T i m

The Natural Philosopher

rob wrote:

He gave one piece of advice which is worth noting, to buy a dimmer switch to
reduce the surge of electric when switching on the lights, this works.
New lights up 6 months, 1 bulb gone. better than before.

Mmm. Not one of any LVlights on soft start toroids ahs gone in two years.

I have lost all of the ones on electronic transformers after about 18-24
months. That may be because they were cheapos that came with the lights,
or it may be the less soft staring on those units. Tey ARE on dimers,
but my diners you just push them to come on...at full brightenss
sometimes :-)

Moral. LV are better, LV with soft start are even better than that, and
better lamps last longer.

rob

Dave Plowman

In article ,
wrote:
At least at the two B&Q whorehouses I frequent, there are *very* clear
notices on the shelves concerning their halogen light fittings. The gist
of these notices is that the bulbs supplied in the packaging are a bonus
freebie, supplied out of the goodness of B&Q's heart, to allow you to
test the fitting is functional upon installation, but that they will
*not* replace those included bulbs if they fail.

Well, if they're just there to check the fitting is functional, what's to
stop you saying it didn't work *at all* and getting a full refund?

FWIW, I've got somewhat over a dozen *low voltage* lamps in different
sets all bought from the sheds, and have so far only had one lamp
failure. So if it is the case that they're supplying sub standard ones,
it must be recent.

--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Martin Angove

In message ,
" Tim \(Remove NOSPAM." wrote:

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
I recently brought 18 Mains Halogen Potlights from B&Q, and found
after fitting that 6 of the halogen bulbs failed within 3 days.

How did you install the light fittings? Perhaps the biggest effect on
halogen bulb life is the method of installation. In particular, these
fittings run hot and need good airflow to keep the temperature down. If

this
doesn't happen because they are fitted in an insulated roof void, then the
bulbs will pop like corn.

The truth of the matter is that no mains voltage 50mm type bulb will last
anything like "long enough" due to its flawed design- and its popularity is
only because of the convienience factor of not having to install a
transformer as with a 12v unit.

Now you've got me interested. In what way is the design of a mains
voltage halogen bulb "flawed", and in what way will a similar Wattage
12V halogen be better? I have fitted literally hundreds of the 12V
things and can't say I was ever overly impressed with their lifespan
(though some manufacturers are better than others). I've only fitted a
few 240V bulbs so far, but as far as I can tell their failure rate isn't
any worse than the 12V-ers.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... To shoot a mime, do you use a silencer?
Parish

Martin Angove wrote:

Now you've got me interested. In what way is the design of a mains
voltage halogen bulb "flawed", and in what way will a similar Wattage
12V halogen be better? I have fitted literally hundreds of the 12V

I don't know what he means by "flawed", but a 12v one has a thicker
filament (lower resistance for the lower voltage) so is more resistant
to thermal and mechanical shock/stress.

things and can't say I was ever overly impressed with their lifespan
(though some manufacturers are better than others). I've only fitted a
few 240V bulbs so far, but as far as I can tell their failure rate isn't
any worse than the 12V-ers.

Hwyl!

M.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Martin Angove wrote:
Now you've got me interested. In what way is the design of a mains
voltage halogen bulb "flawed", and in what way will a similar Wattage
12V halogen be better? I have fitted literally hundreds of the 12V
things and can't say I was ever overly impressed with their lifespan
(though some manufacturers are better than others). I've only fitted a
few 240V bulbs so far, but as far as I can tell their failure rate isn't
any worse than the 12V-ers.

Like for like, they've got a less robust filament, so will suffer from
vibration more.

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
Martin Angove wrote:

Now you've got me interested. In what way is the design of a mains
voltage halogen bulb "flawed", and in what way will a similar Wattage
12V halogen be better? I have fitted literally hundreds of the 12V
things and can't say I was ever overly impressed with their lifespan
(though some manufacturers are better than others). I've only fitted a
few 240V bulbs so far, but as far as I can tell their failure rate isn't
any worse than the 12V-ers.

Like for like, they've got a less robust filament, so will suffer from
vibration more.

All I can say is I dobn't replace 12v bulbs at 1.20 a shot half so often
as my friends replace mains ones at 4 quid a shot.

I reckon the trnasformer costs are covered in the first week or so :0-)

Parish

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
All I can say is I dobn't replace 12v bulbs at 1.20 a shot

You don't get them at Woolies then? £5.99 *each* for a 12v 35W MR16!

half so often as my friends replace mains ones at 4 quid a shot.

I reckon the trnasformer costs are covered in the first week or so
:0-)

Martin Angove

In message ,
Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
Martin Angove wrote:
Now you've got me interested. In what way is the design of a mains
voltage halogen bulb "flawed", and in what way will a similar Wattage
12V halogen be better? I have fitted literally hundreds of the 12V
things and can't say I was ever overly impressed with their lifespan
(though some manufacturers are better than others). I've only fitted a
few 240V bulbs so far, but as far as I can tell their failure rate isn't
any worse than the 12V-ers.

Like for like, they've got a less robust filament, so will suffer from
vibration more.

But just how much vibration does your average ceiling-mounted lamp
encounter? I suppose with "spot" fittings there's more chance of the
filament being in a non-optimal orientation, but this would apply
equally to 12V, and why don't 240V tungsten bulbs (which also have very
thin filaments) seem to pop so often (less often than 12V halogens
even)? Is the larger envelope better at taking heat away from the
filament, or is it down to the way they filament is supported?

Why aren't all bulbs built like car headlamp bulbs, if vibration is an
issue?

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... A)bort R)etry G)et a stick and kill it.
Brad

So Mr Angry

You posted your complaint on Monday... I've offered to help but you don't
seem interested.

Brad

--
To email, substitute nospam with ukretailers

Brad

So where have you gone Mr Angry... you seemed very quick to threaten trading
standards but when someone from B&Q actually offers to help..... you ignore
them?

I asked which lights you bought.. and who told you that they would not take
them back but you've not replied all week.

Brad

--
To email, substitute nospam with ukretailers

Simon Avery

Tony Bryer wrote:

Hello Tony

TB| Inspired by the fact that quite a few printers are reputed
TB| to come with half-full ink cartridges so you have to replace
TB| them before long perhaps? FWIW the mains halogen bulbs in my
TB| mum's kitchen have a relatively short life *and* take out
TB| the MCB when they fail.

Mmm, that's interesting, cos normal tungsten filament bulbs here cause
the MCB to trip when they fail, but the shiny B&Q Halogens I put in
don't.

Or at least, the only halogen to die so far, didn't. 1 within two
weeks, out of five installed. I bought a bunch of spares from Screwfix
and haven't had to use them yet.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

Brad

It's quite annoying really. Someone posts a complaint about a "crap product"
and yet ignores my offers to help. Maybe Mr Angry should have called himself
something else.......

Brad

--
To email, substitute nospam with ukretailers

Mains Halogen Lights - Loft Insulation Safety Question john UK diy 3 February 16th 04 12:47 PM
Mains Halogen Bulbs Stuart UK diy 21 December 26th 03 04:37 PM
wiring for mains halogen lighting Jim UK diy 4 October 31st 03 01:49 PM
Mains failure generator switching tips? Chris Wilson UK diy 5 October 15th 03 12:12 AM