Stuart

Default Mains Halogen Bulbs

Can anyone tell me the difference between GU10 and GZ10 Mains Halogen
bulbs . The GU10 are described as aluminium . Is it to do with the
reflector ??
Stuart
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Stuart writes:
Can anyone tell me the difference between GU10 and GZ10 Mains Halogen
bulbs . The GU10 are described as aluminium . Is it to do with the
reflector ??

Yes.
GZ10 are dichroic lamps which dump a lot of heat back into the fitting.
GU10 are aluminium reflector lamps which direct more of the heat out
with the light beam.

You can use GU10 lamps in GZ10 fittings, but not the other way round.
The lamp bases are slightly different and should prevent GZ10 lamps
being used in fittings not designed to handle the extra heat being
dumped backwards.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Al Reynolds

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Stuart writes:
Can anyone tell me the difference between GU10 and GZ10 Mains Halogen
bulbs . The GU10 are described as aluminium . Is it to do with the
reflector ??

Yes.
GZ10 are dichroic lamps which dump a lot of heat back into the fitting.
GU10 are aluminium reflector lamps which direct more of the heat out
with the light beam.

Even more helpfully, Sainsbury's label them both as dichroic on their
price labels!

Cheapest GU10s I've found is Wickes 5 for £15. Anyone seen cheaper?
Al

Stuart

Stuart writes:
Can anyone tell me the difference between GU10 and GZ10 Mains Halogen
bulbs . The GU10 are described as aluminium . Is it to do with the
reflector ??

Yes.
GZ10 are dichroic lamps which dump a lot of heat back into the fitting.
GU10 are aluminium reflector lamps which direct more of the heat out
with the light beam.

Even more helpfully, Sainsbury's label them both as dichroic on their
price labels!

Cheapest GU10s I've found is Wickes 5 for £15. Anyone seen cheaper?
Al

Screwfix do these
plus postage of course .
Stuart
Dave Gibson

Stuart writes:
Can anyone tell me the difference between GU10 and GZ10 Mains Halogen
bulbs . The GU10 are described as aluminium . Is it to do with the
reflector ??

Yes.
GZ10 are dichroic lamps which dump a lot of heat back into the fitting.
GU10 are aluminium reflector lamps which direct more of the heat out
with the light beam.

Even more helpfully, Sainsbury's label them both as dichroic on their
price labels!

Cheapest GU10s I've found is Wickes 5 for £15. Anyone seen cheaper?
Al

Check the nominal lifetime of the bulbs ... the cheapies are generally only
rated at 1000hrs, whereas the slightly more expensive ones are 2000 hrs. BTW
the screwfix more expensive GU10's are made by Osram and are rated at 2000
hrs.

You pays yer money, yer takes yer choice!

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Gibson" writes:

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
Check the nominal lifetime of the bulbs ... the cheapies are generally only
rated at 1000hrs, whereas the slightly more expensive ones are 2000 hrs. BTW
the screwfix more expensive GU10's are made by Osram and are rated at 2000
hrs.

You pays yer money, yer takes yer choice!

Also bear in mind that the main cost is that of the electricity
used, not the bulb. Using a shorter life bulb may give you higher
light output and enable use of fewer or lower wattage lamps, which
will make a much more significant cost reduction than the difference
in bulb prices.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dave Gibson

"Dave Gibson" writes:

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
Check the nominal lifetime of the bulbs ... the cheapies are generally

only
rated at 1000hrs, whereas the slightly more expensive ones are 2000 hrs.

BTW
the screwfix more expensive GU10's are made by Osram and are rated at

2000
hrs.

You pays yer money, yer takes yer choice!

Also bear in mind that the main cost is that of the electricity
used, not the bulb. Using a shorter life bulb may give you higher
light output and enable use of fewer or lower wattage lamps, which
will make a much more significant cost reduction than the difference
in bulb prices.

--
Andrew Gabriel

WTF?
50W is 50W in my book!

1000hrs at 50W costs about £3.00 at 6p per kWh.
2000hrs at 50W costs about £6.00.

Also the GU10's that come *complete* with the fitting I reckon have an
average life of 200hrs or less.

Dave

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Dave Gibson wrote:
Also bear in mind that the main cost is that of the electricity
used, not the bulb. Using a shorter life bulb may give you higher
light output and enable use of fewer or lower wattage lamps, which
will make a much more significant cost reduction than the difference
in bulb prices.

WTF?
50W is 50W in my book!

That's the energy consumed - nothing to do with the light output. Look at
fluorescents etc to see the difference between the two. And closer to
home, car headlight bulbs vary in light output dramatically for the same
power consumption.

1000hrs at 50W costs about £3.00 at 6p per kWh.
2000hrs at 50W costs about £6.00.

Yes, but the light output is also a factor, which you've omitted.

Also the GU10's that come *complete* with the fitting I reckon have an
average life of 200hrs or less.

Dunno about that. It will depend on other things.

--
*I have a degree in liberal arts -- do you want fries with that

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
The Natural Philosopher

"Dave Gibson" writes:

[...]

Got to agree. Bulb cost domiantes in mains halogens.

LV ones its the electricity - over 1000 hours for sure.

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
Dave Gibson wrote:

Also bear in mind that the main cost is that of the electricity
used, not the bulb. Using a shorter life bulb may give you higher
light output and enable use of fewer or lower wattage lamps, which
will make a much more significant cost reduction than the difference
in bulb prices.

WTF?
50W is 50W in my book!

That's the energy consumed - nothing to do with the light output. Look at
fluorescents etc to see the difference between the two. And closer to
home, car headlight bulbs vary in light output dramatically for the same
power consumption.

Average lightbulb is around 1-2%.efficient. Halogen being at the upper
end, and cheapo dim long lifers at the other.

However the eye perceives brightness logarithmically. To be twice as
brght probably means 4-10 times the power. That makes efficiencty
variations of even 2:1 pretty insignifiocant.

1000hrs at 50W costs about £3.00 at 6p per kWh.
2000hrs at 50W costs about £6.00.

Yes, but the light output is also a factor, which you've omitted.

Its pretty irrelevant, as I have indicated.

Also the GU10's that come *complete* with the fitting I reckon have an
average life of 200hrs or less.

Dunno about that. It will depend on other things.

yeah. Right. Yawn.

Lee Blaver

Dave Gibson wrote:

snip

Also the GU10's that come *complete* with the fitting I reckon have an
average life of 200hrs or less.

Dave

The 5 GU10s that came with a £20 fiting we bought from IKEA were all
Osram 2000 Hr ones, but I know what you mean

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

Dave Plowman

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Average lightbulb is around 1-2%.efficient. Halogen being at the upper
end, and cheapo dim long lifers at the other.

However the eye perceives brightness logarithmically. To be twice as
brght probably means 4-10 times the power. That makes efficiencty
variations of even 2:1 pretty insignifiocant.

I recently changed the bulbs in my car headlights. Same size. The
difference in light output was *dramatic*.

I couldn't give a toss about the theory, but the practice means a great
deal.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Capitol

Dave Plowman wrote in message
I recently changed the bulbs in my car headlights. Same size. The
difference in light output was *dramatic*.

From what, to what?
Regards
Capitol

Dave Gibson

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Average lightbulb is around 1-2%.efficient. Halogen being at the upper
end, and cheapo dim long lifers at the other.

However the eye perceives brightness logarithmically. To be twice as
brght probably means 4-10 times the power. That makes efficiencty
variations of even 2:1 pretty insignifiocant.

I recently changed the bulbs in my car headlights. Same size. The
difference in light output was *dramatic*.

I couldn't give a toss about the theory, but the practice means a great
deal.

That's because the old ones are shagged due to the vaporized metal from the
filament blackening the inside of the glass envelope. I am assuming they are
not halogen (or gas discharge for that matter) which do not suffer such a
loss of output with ageing.

Dave

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Capitol

Having just had to replace a LV halogen fitting for someone else, my opinion
is that the product is a pile of "****". The transformer had failed from
overheating(IKEA), was a nightmare to mount and service and had only lasted
3 years. Bearing in mind the cost of the halogen lamps, the short life and
the unreliability, long life low energy lamps are a far better product. I
recently mounted a mains halogen product, and it suffered from much the
same difficulties (and mechanical frailty). There must be a market for
attractively styled long life lamps, when do we see the products?
Regards
Capitol

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Dave Gibson wrote:
I recently changed the bulbs in my car headlights. Same size. The
difference in light output was *dramatic*.

I couldn't give a toss about the theory, but the practice means a
great deal.

That's because the old ones are shagged due to the vaporized metal from
the filament blackening the inside of the glass envelope. I am assuming
they are not halogen (or gas discharge for that matter) which do not
suffer such a loss of output with ageing.

I don't know what sort of car you have, but halogen bulbs have been
standard on most for many a year.

Nor were they visibly blackened.

--
*Don't squat with your spurs on *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Average lightbulb is around 1-2%.efficient. Halogen being at the upper
end, and cheapo dim long lifers at the other.

However the eye perceives brightness logarithmically. To be twice as
brght probably means 4-10 times the power. That makes efficiencty
variations of even 2:1 pretty insignifiocant.

I recently changed the bulbs in my car headlights. Same size. The
difference in light output was *dramatic*.

Wattage probably varied then. I got failed on an MOT for having 'wrong
bulb' in rear lights. I hadn't - just two different brands.

I couldn't give a toss about the theory, but the practice means a great
deal.

The Natural Philosopher

Capitol wrote:

Having just had to replace a LV halogen fitting for someone else, my opinion
is that the product is a pile of "****". The transformer had failed from
overheating(IKEA), was a nightmare to mount and service and had only lasted
3 years. Bearing in mind the cost of the halogen lamps, the short life and
the unreliability, long life low energy lamps are a far better product. I
recently mounted a mains halogen product, and it suffered from much the
same difficulties (and mechanical frailty). There must be a market for
attractively styled long life lamps, when do we see the products?
Regards
Capitol

Well, apart from one out of 25 toroids failing from overheating (buried
in isnualtion - even cutout didn't save it) all mey LV enewey and eyere
stuff is gound fine.

Just pay a little more and avoid teh sheds.

Stuart

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 21:57:06 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Capitol wrote:

[...]

all mey LV enewey and eyere ??
translation anyone ??? :-)
Stuart

Lee Blaver

Stuart wrote:

Well, apart from one out of 25 toroids failing from overheating (buried
in isnualtion - even cutout didn't save it) all mey LV enewey and eyere
stuff is gound fine.

Just pay a little more and avoid teh sheds.

all mey LV enewey and eyere ??
translation anyone ??? :-)
Stuart

Seems clear enough to me, that he meant "..all my LV Newey and Eyre
stuff..."

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

Dave Plowman

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I recently changed the bulbs in my car headlights. Same size. The
difference in light output was *dramatic*.

Wattage probably varied then. I got failed on an MOT for having 'wrong
bulb' in rear lights. I hadn't - just two different brands.

They were pulling your plonker. They have no way of measuring the light
output. The usual reason for a 'fail' is the wrong colour due to the
plastic of the 'lens' having deteriorated.

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn