Sparky

Doc wrote:
I've gone through about 6 of these supposed "1 year" bulbs in about 3
months, in light sockets in the garage that are only on sporadically.
They're shorter lived than the regular cheapie bulbs I've been using.

Anyone find them to last anything like what's claimed for them?

Most lightbulbs are rated for "X" number of hours at 4 hours per day, 7
days a week. Phillips Duramax bulbs are among the best for logevity in
normal household situations, however, garage door openers create
vibration which will reduce the life of the bulb. As well, if you live
out in the country (or perhaps even in an urban setting) where power
spikes are frequent, these will also dramatically shorten the life of
the bulb.

Depending on where you are on the planet, I'd suggest switching to a
13-15w compact flourescent (Commercial Electric, commonly sold at Home
Depot, or Phillips are my picks) which will normally last 5-7 years and
produce more lumens than the 60w incandescent bulbs they are commonly
compared to. As a bonus, they are much more energy efficient and the
ozone layer and your bank account will thank you in the long run.

If you don't like the temperature of the light they emit, Phillips makes
an excellent "Country" bulb (they are marked as such) which are
advertised to work up to 6000 hours. You might also consider trying a
rough service bulb.

Having said that, I've been using DuraMax bulbs forever and have had
very good success with them.

Finally, consider returning the bulbs to the store where you bought
them. If that batch of bulbs got bashed around during shipping, it could
cause premature failure.

Cheers
Sparky