Default Termite preventive maintenance

Our house is four years old. We have tubes in the wall and every three
months pest control company comes and sprays inside the walls through
those tubes. Recently we've been seeing ants in the kitchen and in
master bath. In the past four years we havent' re-caulked those areas.
Only after seeing ants I recaulked the shower area and kitchen.

I was wondering this ant problem is a wake up call for a more regular
preventive maintenance! At what age of the house do we start evaluating
for termite prevention? Since our house is four years old, can we rely
on the pest control guys for few more years or should we start thinking
about termite prevention?

We live in the south. so the temperatures are pretty mild in winter and
hot in summer.

Thanks.

Joey

You would be best off with a termite contract for best protection.
Termites live in the ground below the surface in total darkness. They
tunnel upwards to the wood by creating a dirt tunnel around them. This
is what you would see under a house or up the side of a brick/block.
Effective termite treatment is done in the soil where they live not
inside the walls of the house. By the time they get to the walls damage
is being done. During the spring months termites swarm and if you see
what looks like ants with wings--these are probably termites. I have a
termite contact and have had damage in the past which they had to
replace/repair a 20 foot section. Occasionally, I go under my house and
inspect for these dirt tunnels since I don't really trust all the
termite inspecters. Termites need moisture to live so they dryer you
can keep the soil around your house the better off you'll be.

Our house is four years old. We have tubes in the wall and every three
months pest control company comes and sprays inside the walls through
those tubes. Recently we've been seeing ants in the kitchen and in
master bath. In the past four years we havent' re-caulked those areas.
Only after seeing ants I recaulked the shower area and kitchen.

I was wondering this ant problem is a wake up call for a more regular
preventive maintenance! At what age of the house do we start evaluating
for termite prevention? Since our house is four years old, can we rely
on the pest control guys for few more years or should we start thinking
about termite prevention?

We live in the south. so the temperatures are pretty mild in winter and
hot in summer.

Thanks.

Lar

In article .com,
says...
I was wondering this ant problem is a wake up call for a more regular
preventive maintenance! At what age of the house do we start evaluating
for termite prevention? Since our house is four years old, can we rely
on the pest control guys for few more years or should we start thinking
about termite prevention?

I'm in Dallas and the thought is homes with a sprinkler system will
probably get termites with 4-7 years, the homes that don't have the
systems will get them 7-10 years. The regular pest service would have
no real effect on termites other than maybe pushing them into the
interior of the home rather than them just entering along the
foundation. My preference for preventative would be a termidor
application on at least the perimeter. Many companies will gladly
install baiting systems since the monitoring generates revenue for them
year round, but none would protect the home as well as a minimal
termidor treatment and many companies will treat the perimeter with
termidor then set up the baits anyway. Check around with
friends/neighbors on who they use and trust, check several companies,
usually the established local company will service you better at a more
friendly price. Every company will have their own ideas on pricing. As
for me a preventative is usually $200-$300 cheaper on average than the
same home with termites found and I doubt I'm the only one out there
offering the price break, though you may have to check with a number of
companies.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Bob S.

I was wondering this ant problem is a wake up call for a more regular
preventive maintenance! At what age of the house do we start

evaluating
for termite prevention? Since our house is four years old, can we

rely
on the pest control guys for few more years or should we start

thinking
about termite prevention?

We live in the south. so the temperatures are pretty mild in winter

and
hot in summer.

Thanks.

Years back, termite protection (Chlordane)lasted about 30 years. Then
the government got involved, took it off the market, and the
replacement (Dursban) lasted 5-7 years. Now it has been banned also,
and the new product "might" last 2-3 years. Unless you're very
knowledgeable about pesticides and their application, I would suggest a
yearly application by your local pest control folks.

Bob S.

Roy Starrin

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:44:27 -0500, Lar
wrote:

Actually many of the old timers seem to like the newest products better
than chlordane. Less call backs.

Which newest products?

Bob S.

Lar wrote:

Termidor, I have yet to have a call back on any home treated with it

and
the Gou't testing shows it to be the only product on the market since

chlordane to go over 7 years at 100% effectiveness, It's now over 10
years at 100% effectiveness with the tests...

Anything that effective has got to prove harmful to .1% of lab rats,
which tells me the Gov't will pull it's use real soon. :)

Bob S.

JimL

Joey, I have dry wood termites leaving fecal pellets on my window
sill. They do not have any moisture needs as they get it from the
wood itself.

I have the other kind too!

JimL

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:56:48 -0400, Joey
wrote:

[...]

Brett Miller

I was thinking about treating some wood with
termite poison and burying it around the house in a small bottle.
The bottle would be buried inverted to keep out the water.
Would this be ok, or would it be a half ass attempt at making
something like sentra con?

On 19 Apr 2005 22:01:43 -0700, "Bob S."

[...]

Lar

In article ,
says...
I was thinking about treating some wood with
termite poison and burying it around the house in a small bottle.
The bottle would be buried inverted to keep out the water.
Would this be ok, or would it be a half ass attempt at making
something like sentra con?

Speaking of Simple Con...er Sentricon....
http://www.arrow-pestcontrol.com/sen1.JPG
http://www.arrow-pestcontrol.com/sen2.JPG
these two pictures are on opposite side of the foundation wall. This
home was on service since April '99... $2900 install $380 a year to
maintain..the tube, I would guess is 3-6 years old..probably closer to 6

Sentricon is a growth regulator that interrupts the the growth of the
insect not a true toxin. Any of the termite liquids you would be able
to use legally will have a repellency to them so the termites would just
avoid the stations you make...as the home above shows, there is no
guarantee the termites will go to any baits stations to begin with.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

Termite control dino Home Repair 2 October 20th 04 10:12 PM
Home maintenance vs. condo maintenance Jeff Bello Home Repair 7 May 26th 04 02:40 PM
Buying a house with termite damage techshare Home Repair 9 March 26th 04 04:14 AM
Termite Activity Reported in Home Email Invalid Home Ownership 5 March 21st 04 05:14 PM
termite question Krystonia5 Home Repair 8 March 17th 04 04:51 AM