JimL

Joey, I have dry wood termites leaving fecal pellets on my window
sill. They do not have any moisture needs as they get it from the
wood itself.

I have the other kind too!

JimL

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:56:48 -0400, Joey
wrote:

You would be best off with a termite contract for best protection.
Termites live in the ground below the surface in total darkness. They
tunnel upwards to the wood by creating a dirt tunnel around them. This
is what you would see under a house or up the side of a brick/block.
Effective termite treatment is done in the soil where they live not
inside the walls of the house. By the time they get to the walls damage
is being done. During the spring months termites swarm and if you see
what looks like ants with wings--these are probably termites. I have a
termite contact and have had damage in the past which they had to
replace/repair a 20 foot section. Occasionally, I go under my house and
inspect for these dirt tunnels since I don't really trust all the
termite inspecters. Termites need moisture to live so they dryer you
can keep the soil around your house the better off you'll be.

Our house is four years old. We have tubes in the wall and every three
months pest control company comes and sprays inside the walls through
those tubes. Recently we've been seeing ants in the kitchen and in
master bath. In the past four years we havent' re-caulked those areas.
Only after seeing ants I recaulked the shower area and kitchen.

I was wondering this ant problem is a wake up call for a more regular
preventive maintenance! At what age of the house do we start evaluating
for termite prevention? Since our house is four years old, can we rely
on the pest control guys for few more years or should we start thinking
about termite prevention?

We live in the south. so the temperatures are pretty mild in winter and
hot in summer.

Thanks.