Old April 11th 05, 01:33 PM
Tech-Home

Default Building Kitchen Cabinets

I'm looking at building my own kitchen cabinets but would like some
information about doing this.

Any sites you can recommend? Or books?

thanks,
Brian

Old April 11th 05, 01:42 PM
Jim Ranieri

"Tech-Home" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking at building my own kitchen cabinets but would like some
information about doing this.

Any sites you can recommend? Or books?

I'm doing the same thing.
"Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets" by Jim Tolpin is a very good
resource.

Old April 11th 05, 10:17 PM
Richard J Kinch

Tech-Home writes:

I'm looking at building my own kitchen cabinets but would like some
information about doing this.

Build some for the garage first for practice. Then you'll do a better job
where fit and finish are more important.
Old April 11th 05, 11:50 PM
Bob Haar

On 2005/4/11 8:33 AM, "Tech-Home" wrote:

I'm looking at building my own kitchen cabinets but would like some
information about doing this.

I would not recommend this as your first project in cabinet construction. It
can be a big job and the end product is usually in a place of high
visisbility. On the other hand, if you have experience in woodworking for
other kinds of furniture grade projects, then you should be OK. The joinery
and finishing is pretty standard. Getting drawers that hold up and fit well
is probably the most challenging part.

Any sites you can recommend? Or books?

Try the rec.woodworking newsgroup. For books, I recommend The Complete
Illustrated Guide to Furniture and Cabinet Construction by Andy Rae. This is
part of a series by Taunton Press that I like.

Old April 12th 05, 12:39 AM
Jim Yanik

nospambob wrote in
:

Google rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 07:42:19 -0500, "Jim Ranieri" nah, wrote:

"Tech-Home" wrote in message
groups.com...
I'm looking at building my own kitchen cabinets but would like some
information about doing this.

Any sites you can recommend? Or books?

I'm doing the same thing.
"Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets" by Jim Tolpin is a very good
resource.

Woodworkers Supply offers classes on building them.
You even build a sample to keep.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old April 12th 05, 01:05 AM
Pat

A cupboard is a box. Boxes are simple to make.
Drawers are hard. I get along fine with no drawers in my kitchen.
Doors are hard. Buy them from a custom door shop.
Or make simple plywood doors.
So make some boxes. Install them on the wall if uppers
or on a 2X4 frame if lowers. Add face frames.
Cover exposed ends with prefinished paneling.

A house full of cupboards is a lot of plywood.
Bring the plywood home in a pickup.
Slide each sheet out the truck onto some saw horses and
cut it up using a cutting list, straight edge and circular saw.
Many pieces will be similiar so pile the pieces in stacks.
Assemble the boxes. Air tools are nice.

Fine craftmanship is not neccessary.
No need to make small ones. I usually make
one cupboard that fits the entire wall/space.

Old April 12th 05, 04:28 AM
Rudy

Any sites you can recommend? Or books?

"Making Kitchen Cabinets" a foolproof system..
Taunton Press 1998
By Paul Levine

On our last house, I got bids from 13.5K to 15K for the cabinets.. 27
cabinets and 32 drawers
I said WTH, bought the book and built the whole works with raised panel oak
doors and European 35mm Blum hinges for under 4 grand and that included
buying a new table saw. The secret is to just build the cases and order the
doors. I got them from Decor-a tive Specialties out of California for $
1400. (27cabinets)
I could barely buy the OAK for that. They were around $ 10.50 SF then in
1999. Probably closer to $ 15 now but they did a nice job. I had to get
them thru a local dealer so picked a small cabinet shop who marked them up
very little.
For the drawer sides and backs, I used 9 ply 1/2" Baltic birch which is very
solid and easy to work with. It comes in strange 5'X5' sheets
The drawer fronts were cut from 1x5, 1x6 1x8 and 1x10 Oak from Home
Depot..cut square and then ran the edges thru the router table for some
definition. Got some very nice Copper hardware knobs and pulls (AZ the
"Copper state) Amerock brand from the same hardware place. HD couldnt touch
them for quality and price..Lowes carries a lot better selection of better
quality hardware BTW.
I used Blum 22" drawer sliders bought by the case (of 25 pair) from a local
hardware distributor that were quality made in Germany or such for about
half the price of the Taiwan Liberty brand stocked by HDepot. For the cases,
I used 3/4" oak A2 plywood instead of melamine. For support, I built the
upper wall cabinets with oak face frame (cut from 1x3 oak) and the lower
base cabinets, I built Euro style with no face frames. The doors were
ordered with close edge tolerance so the 1'4" reveal was the same on both
upper and lower cabinets. Got many compliments on them. The built up
countertops were done with 2" bevelled oak front edge trim cut and stained
to match the finish of the cabinets. The 4' X 6' island top was done in
granite since we saved so much on the cabinets. BTW, I had just retired so
I had plenty of time to finish the job. We were building the whole house
which we contracted out the heavy stuff but did all the inside work other
than hanging the sheetrock, ourselves.
good Luck

Rudy

Old April 12th 05, 04:42 AM
Rudy

The doors were
ordered with close edge tolerance so the 1'4" reveal

Shouldnt type in the dark..should be 1/4" reveal

Old April 12th 05, 04:58 AM
RicodJour

Tech-Home wrote:
I'm looking at building my own kitchen cabinets but would like some
information about doing this.

Any sites you can recommend? Or books?

Yep.

http://www.cabparts.com/main.html for the cabinet boxes. I'd go with
the 32mm system. Faceframes take up too much room and are a waste of
cabinet space.

There are tons of place online that will sell you doors and drawer
fronts custom made to your specifications - species, size, style,
prefinished or ready for you to finish. When you do your search look
for kitchen cabinet refacing suppliers.

I've never used this company, but I like their online quote form for
drawers:
http://www.quickdrawer.com/default.asp