Pat

A cupboard is a box. Boxes are simple to make.
Drawers are hard. I get along fine with no drawers in my kitchen.
Doors are hard. Buy them from a custom door shop.
Or make simple plywood doors.
So make some boxes. Install them on the wall if uppers
or on a 2X4 frame if lowers. Add face frames.
Cover exposed ends with prefinished paneling.

A house full of cupboards is a lot of plywood.
Bring the plywood home in a pickup.
Slide each sheet out the truck onto some saw horses and
cut it up using a cutting list, straight edge and circular saw.
Many pieces will be similiar so pile the pieces in stacks.
Assemble the boxes. Air tools are nice.

Fine craftmanship is not neccessary.
No need to make small ones. I usually make
one cupboard that fits the entire wall/space.