Rudy

Any sites you can recommend? Or books?

"Making Kitchen Cabinets" a foolproof system..
Taunton Press 1998
By Paul Levine

On our last house, I got bids from 13.5K to 15K for the cabinets.. 27
cabinets and 32 drawers
I said WTH, bought the book and built the whole works with raised panel oak
doors and European 35mm Blum hinges for under 4 grand and that included
buying a new table saw. The secret is to just build the cases and order the
doors. I got them from Decor-a tive Specialties out of California for $
1400. (27cabinets)
I could barely buy the OAK for that. They were around $ 10.50 SF then in
1999. Probably closer to $ 15 now but they did a nice job. I had to get
them thru a local dealer so picked a small cabinet shop who marked them up
very little.
For the drawer sides and backs, I used 9 ply 1/2" Baltic birch which is very
solid and easy to work with. It comes in strange 5'X5' sheets
The drawer fronts were cut from 1x5, 1x6 1x8 and 1x10 Oak from Home
Depot..cut square and then ran the edges thru the router table for some
definition. Got some very nice Copper hardware knobs and pulls (AZ the
"Copper state) Amerock brand from the same hardware place. HD couldnt touch
them for quality and price..Lowes carries a lot better selection of better
quality hardware BTW.
I used Blum 22" drawer sliders bought by the case (of 25 pair) from a local
hardware distributor that were quality made in Germany or such for about
half the price of the Taiwan Liberty brand stocked by HDepot. For the cases,
I used 3/4" oak A2 plywood instead of melamine. For support, I built the
upper wall cabinets with oak face frame (cut from 1x3 oak) and the lower
base cabinets, I built Euro style with no face frames. The doors were
ordered with close edge tolerance so the 1'4" reveal was the same on both
upper and lower cabinets. Got many compliments on them. The built up
countertops were done with 2" bevelled oak front edge trim cut and stained
to match the finish of the cabinets. The 4' X 6' island top was done in
granite since we saved so much on the cabinets. BTW, I had just retired so
I had plenty of time to finish the job. We were building the whole house
which we contracted out the heavy stuff but did all the inside work other
than hanging the sheetrock, ourselves.
good Luck

Rudy