DL

Default 12-2 outlet power lines interference with Speaker / Subwoofer in-wall wiring

I tried alt.home-theater and alt.home-theater.misc with no results on this
specific question.

I am in the process of finishing my basement and have run in-wall speaker
wire (Monster CI-Pro) for the speakers and subwoofer lines. Is there a
problem running the speaker wiring right next to the normal 12-2 outlet
power lines? For a 6' distance, the speaker wires are run next to the power
(110v 12-2) wires. Will this cause a problem interference that will be
noticable when the AV/Stereo is being used? I was told that this might
cause interference with the speaker or subwoofer operation.

David

Matt

David-

It might. It probably will.

Better to avoid running any kind of AV next to power lines.

The problem would be worse if you were running the signal (ie tuner,
turntable, cd) output lines near the power wires; however it's always
best to keep any AV feeds as far away from AC as possible.

Bennett Price

DL wrote:

I tried alt.home-theater and alt.home-theater.misc with no results on this
specific question.

I am in the process of finishing my basement and have run in-wall speaker
wire (Monster CI-Pro) for the speakers and subwoofer lines. Is there a
problem running the speaker wiring right next to the normal 12-2 outlet
power lines? For a 6' distance, the speaker wires are run next to the power
(110v 12-2) wires. Will this cause a problem interference that will be
noticable when the AV/Stereo is being used? I was told that this might
cause interference with the speaker or subwoofer operation.

David

No, you won't cause hum. If you have the equipment at hand, just try it
- put 6' of speaker wire next to an extension cord and listen for hum
with and without a load on the extension cord. If the wires were signal
(tuner output, e.g.) there might be a problem; if they were magnetic
phono cartridge there would definitely be a problem.
Mark

Bennett Price wrote:
DL wrote:

[...]

Agreed, a speaker lead is not likely to pick up hum.
Good suggestion to try it.

Mark

Jeff Wisnia

Mark wrote:

Bennett Price wrote:

DL wrote:

[...]

While I too wouldn't think that you could induce enough hum into speaker
leads to hear it, especially if you twisted the speaker leads about one
turn per foot, it is interesting to see that the Monster Cable Company
recommends keeping speaker leads away from power cables. See the
penultimate sentence in the second section on this page:

http://www.monstercable.com/connecti...eaker_HU_4.asp

And as you just implied, "One successful test is worth a thousand expert
opinions."

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Bill

DL wrote:
I tried alt.home-theater and alt.home-theater.misc with no results on this
specific question.

I am in the process of finishing my basement and have run in-wall speaker
wire (Monster CI-Pro) for the speakers and subwoofer lines. Is there a
problem running the speaker wiring right next to the normal 12-2 outlet
power lines? For a 6' distance, the speaker wires are run next to the power
(110v 12-2) wires. Will this cause a problem interference that will be
noticable when the AV/Stereo is being used? I was told that this might
cause interference with the speaker or subwoofer operation.

David

As others have said you probably won't get any
noticeable hum. But have you considered safety? I
recommend that you don't have any signal cables in the
same wall cavity as power cables. A short is unlikely,
but if it happens it could be serious.

Bill Gill
w_tom

The issue is safety. Power wires should always remain at
least a few inches separated from low voltages. This for both
human safety and for transistor safety.

In the meantime, buying any products from Monster Cables
suggests you also want to buy a Brooklyn Bridge.

DL wrote:
I tried alt.home-theater and alt.home-theater.misc with no results on this
specific question.

I am in the process of finishing my basement and have run in-wall speaker
wire (Monster CI-Pro) for the speakers and subwoofer lines. Is there a
problem running the speaker wiring right next to the normal 12-2 outlet
power lines? For a 6' distance, the speaker wires are run next to the power
(110v 12-2) wires. Will this cause a problem interference that will be
noticable when the AV/Stereo is being used? I was told that this might
cause interference with the speaker or subwoofer operation.

David

Matt

In the meantime, buying any products from Monster Cables
suggests you also want to buy a Brooklyn Bridge.

True that. I fail to see the added value of a 10/2 stranded cable from
monster at what, $75; and a 10/2 stranded cable over in the wiring
section at lowes for $10.

As if anyone really needed 10 guage wire for speaqkers in the first
place.

Personally, I just buy standard lamp cord for my speakers.

Chris Lewis

According to w_tom :
The issue is safety. Power wires should always remain at
least a few inches separated from low voltages. This for both
human safety and for transistor safety.

Treat AV wiring as class II low voltage wiring: As much as
possible, it should be kept at least 12" away from power,
and cross only at right angles.

In the meantime, buying any products from Monster Cables
suggests you also want to buy a Brooklyn Bridge.

It seems particularly silly to buy stupidly expensive Monster
Cables to reduce noise, and, yet, put it right next to noise
sources - that will induce orders of magnitude more noise (not
that it's that much with speakers) than the Monster Cable
could feasibly eliminate.

If you're going to spend the money on Monster Cable myth,
you might as well go all the way.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis

According to Jeff Wisnia :
While I too wouldn't think that you could induce enough hum into speaker
leads to hear it, especially if you twisted the speaker leads about one
turn per foot, it is interesting to see that the Monster Cable Company
recommends keeping speaker leads away from power cables. See the
penultimate sentence in the second section on this page:

http://www.monstercable.com/connecti...eaker_HU_4.asp

And as you just implied, "One successful test is worth a thousand expert
opinions."

If one relied on the "one successful test" theory, nobody'd buy Monster
Cable either ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

DL

I purchased the cable I did because it was rated for in-wall and the gauge
of the wire, not the brand name, it just happened to be Monster cable. I
went to several local retailers and did not find what I wanted. I also feel
that I got a decent deal on the internet for the wire. What does this have
to do with buying the Brooklyn Bridge. While I do agree that prices on
Monster cable can be very high if you don't shop around and buy in larger
quantities, it's dirt cheap compared to some of the high end specialty
wiring that aduiophiles pay for their cabling. I also don't think it is of
the same quality of lamp cord purchased at Home Depot or Lowes.

DL wrote:
I tried alt.home-theater and alt.home-theater.misc with no results on
this
specific question.

I am in the process of finishing my basement and have run in-wall speaker
wire (Monster CI-Pro) for the speakers and subwoofer lines. Is there a
problem running the speaker wiring right next to the normal 12-2 outlet
power lines? For a 6' distance, the speaker wires are run next to the
power
(110v 12-2) wires. Will this cause a problem interference that will be
noticable when the AV/Stereo is being used? I was told that this might
cause interference with the speaker or subwoofer operation.

David

w_tom

Find same quality cable at Home Depot or Lowes. Monster
Cable products sell at phenomenally higher prices for
something no better than sold in the hardware store. Those
buying Monster Cable products tend to also buy the Brooklyn
Bridge. Again, the separation from power lines is about
safety.

DL wrote:
I purchased the cable I did because it was rated for in-wall and
the gauge of the wire, not the brand name, it just happened to be
Monster cable. I went to several local retailers and did not
find what I wanted. I also feel that I got a decent deal on the
internet for the wire. What does this have to do with buying
the Brooklyn Bridge. While I do agree that prices on Monster
cable can be very high if you don't shop around and buy in
larger quantities, it's dirt cheap compared to some of the high
end specialty wiring that aduiophiles pay for their cabling. I
also don't think it is of the same quality of lamp cord
purchased at Home Depot or Lowes.

2-prong outlet, 3-prong p barry martin Home Repair 2 November 27th 04 04:14 AM
Got this dog: JVC NV-55D500, tries to power up but it's not that simple. Art Electronics Repair 3 July 17th 04 03:42 AM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
Power supplies are burning out jbr Electronics Repair 19 January 22nd 04 05:47 AM
Switched wall power outlet? volts500 Home Repair 0 July 15th 03 01:04 AM