volts500

Default Switched wall power outlet?

"Scott L." wrote in message
Greetings:

Im completely stumped here. I had to replace a wall outlet over the
weekend, as the old one had developed some rust, and stopped working
(its mounted outside). It seems to be inline with the indoor outlets in
my Living Room. I replaced it, and both receptacles have power, and the
whole living room works now, too.

Heres where I get confused. One of the outlets in my living room was
switched - controlled by switches mounted on the wall at both entrances.
Now, the outlet thas used to be switched isn't - it's just always on.

Obviously, something I did caused this to happen. The outlet in question
is setup like this: there are two white wires coming into the outlet
box, four black wires, and a red wire. In the old switch (and the one I
installed), two of the blacks are twisted together (resulting in two
wires into the outlet), and plugged into the black labelled holes on the
back of the outlet. The two whites are twisted together, and in one
white hole on the back, and the red wire is in the other hole. I've
tried all possible permutations of wiring - flopping the two black
wires, swapping the white and red (but never white into black and vice
versa).

What am I doing wrong here? Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott L.

Remove the tab between the screws on the side of the receptacle where the
black and red wires are connected. If you still have the old receptacle,
take a close look at it......you'll see that the tab was removed.