Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

ap

Default phone calls requesting donations...how do you handle them?

Hello,
How do people in the forum deal with constant
phone calls from the fraternal order of police
asking for donations?

We are getting plagued by these calls despite
making a donation.

Is there a # to call to be removed from their list?

THANKS

Rich Greenberg

In article . com,
ap wrote:
Hello,
How do people in the forum deal with constant
phone calls from the fraternal order of police
asking for donations?

We are getting plagued by these calls despite
making a donation.

Is there a # to call to be removed from their list?

As soon as you recognize the call, interrupt them (no need for
politeness here) and say:

"Please put this number on your do not call list and do not call again".

If they say anything other than yes, goodby, repeat again.

And if anyone thinks that donations will halp thier local law enforcers,
think again.

1) Its a professional fund raiser that gives only a small fraction to
the police.

2) Its not the police dept getting the funds, its the police union (in
most cases).

Jonathan Kamens

"ap" writes:
How do people in the forum deal with constant
phone calls from the fraternal order of police
asking for donations?

"I'm sorry, but we do not accept telephone solicitations for
charitable donations. Please put our telephone number on your
do-not-call list. Feel free to send us literature in the mail
and we'll be glad to look it over. Thank you. click"
Pray for Mojo

"ap" wrote in message
ups.com...

We are getting plagued by these calls despite
making a donation.

I just say "Put me on your do not call list" and hang up. The people
calling you for the FOP and what-not get hung up 100 times a day, they
don't care.

BTW do not say "take me off your list", that has no legal impact, you
want to be put *on* the DNC list.

Pray for Mojo wrote:
"ap" wrote in message
ups.com...

We are getting plagued by these calls despite
making a donation.

Percival P. Cassidy

On 03/30/05 06:45 pm Rich Greenberg tossed the following ingredients
into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

How do people in the forum deal with constant
phone calls from the fraternal order of police
asking for donations?

We are getting plagued by these calls despite
making a donation.

Is there a # to call to be removed from their list?

As soon as you recognize the call, interrupt them (no need for
politeness here) and say:

"Please put this number on your do not call list and do not call again".

If they say anything other than yes, goodby, repeat again.

And if anyone thinks that donations will halp thier local law enforcers,
think again.

1) Its a professional fund raiser that gives only a small fraction to
the police.

Yes, I looked this up many months back and found that one of the
companies doing this doesn't even give a percentage to the FOP or other
body: they agree to pay the FOP so much a month and get to keep the rest
for themselves.

2) Its not the police dept getting the funds, its the police union (in
most cases).

That's also true, as far as I could find out. In fact, one of the police
unions promotes this to its members on its Web site: "Look at this great
deal we've done with XYZ Fundraisers to keep your union dues down" (or
words to that effect).

John A. Weeks III

In article . com,
"ap" wrote:

How do people in the forum deal with constant
phone calls from the fraternal order of police
asking for donations?

Easy. Simply say that "I am not interested at
this time, but thanks for calling". Then hang
up.

We are getting plagued by these calls despite
making a donation.

That is how you got on this sucker list. Don't
give them anything since that only makes them
call back more often.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Terry isn't home

Buy a Furby and keep near the phone. After initial contact with the
solicitor, tell them you will put the one in charge on the phone. Wake
Furby up and let Furby do the talking. Nothing like a 6 pack & a Furby,
ahhhhhh, life is good.

"ap" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
How do people in the forum deal with constant
phone calls from the fraternal order of police
asking for donations?

We are getting plagued by these calls despite
making a donation.

Is there a # to call to be removed from their list?

THANKS

Brake Shoe

"ap" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
How do people in the forum deal with constant
phone calls from the fraternal order of police
asking for donations?

We are getting plagued by these calls despite

Ask them if they'll send you a coupon for a free traffic citation dismissal
if you contribute.

On 30 Mar 2005 15:09:10 -0800, someone wrote:

We are getting plagued by these calls despite
making a donation.

Hoo Boy, what a mark, when you MAKE a donation, instead of somehow
satisfying them, you instead get put on a list of the few people who
actually WILL give money to a telephone pitch. You have now
GUARANTEED that you will continue to receive more calls!

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:45:44 +0000 (UTC), someone wrote:

"I'm sorry, but we do not accept telephone solicitations for
charitable donations. Please put our telephone number on your
do-not-call list. Feel free to send us literature in the mail
and we'll be glad to look it over. Thank you. click"

Jon, you are way too polite!

"Put me on your do not call list." CLICK.

8 words compared to around 40.

And BTW, certain types of calls are not subject to a do not call list,
so just saying it and hanging up avoids prolonged explanations when it
is an outfit that is not subject.

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:00:10 -0500, someone wrote:

I say "My budget for financial donations is all already alocated for this
year."

But that just lets them know you DO make donations, and to be sure to
call you next year....

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:45:09 -0600, someone wrote:

Easy. Simply say that "I am not interested at
this time, but thanks for calling". Then hang
up.

If you are not going to ask to be put on the DNC list, then why bother
to say anything at all? And "thanks" for calling? Nope.

At the office, we get sequential calls on our numbers from time to
time, and if our lines are not especially busy, I don't say anything
at all. I say "hello" or maybe "hold on" and just let the call sit
there. The longer I can waste their time waiting for someone to talk
to them, the less productive their day will be.

Jim Haynes

I tell them that I will NEVER donate to any cause that is so rude as
to solicit by telephone.

--

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

DAC

Is there a # to call to be removed from their list?

Yes -- 1-888-382-1222, also at http://www.ftc.gov/donotcall/ Can have
your phone number removed via e-mail...simple and effective.

Or you can "play" with the caller...I make it my personal goal to get
them to hang up on me. From groups like the NRA that wanted to sign up
my 6 year old son. Don't recall the whole conversation but when I
accused them of advocating gun use by minor children...the clunk
happened rather quickly. Another one I "WASTED" 45 minutes of their
time by leading them deeper and deeper with a ton or questions about
their product...and talking to their manager.

It's also quite fun to take them off their script...If you want to
throw them for a loop...when they call say something like "Well [insert
name] it's about time you called...how's your family? My daughter is
blah....blah, last week we blah...blah, and keep going and going, the
weather is good, hobbies, pets, home improvement work, work are all
fair game...

Have some fun with it...or asked to be put on their DNC list after
getting the company name, the orginzation they are representing, the
name or caller employee ID number (they won't usually give full names)
and record the date. Keep the list by the phone for tracking and
logging...if you need to file against them...you will need the records.

Good luck.

Darwin

Arthur Shapiro

In article . com, "ap" wrote:
Hello,
How do people in the forum deal with constant
phone calls from the fraternal order of police
asking for donations?

I hit the asterisk key on my phone, and hang up. That switches in the
"CallScreener" device I've purchased, in which a message is read to the effect
that "this number doesn't accept solicitation calls; please add it to your
do-not-call list".

When the CallScreener failed a while back, I found it cheaper to buy ten on
eBay then one from the company! So I guess I have several lifetime's supply.

Art

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 17:55:12 GMT, someone wrote:

When the CallScreener failed a while back, I found it cheaper to buy ten on
eBay then one from the company! So I guess I have several lifetime's supply.

Whadja do with the other nine? :-)

Sell them on e-Bay?

a cell phone question RB Electronics Repair 5 March 9th 05 07:09 AM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
46/49MHz? 900MHz? 2.4GHz? Which cordless phone to use? Green Giant Electronics Repair 3 August 21st 03 04:16 PM
Cordless Phone Frequency Question lcoe Electronics Repair 2 August 18th 03 10:42 PM
2.4Ghz phone vs 900Mhz Spread Spectrum Jerry Greenberg Metalworking 0 July 16th 03 01:33 AM