Doug Miller

In article , (v) wrote:

At the office, we get sequential calls on our numbers from time to
time, and if our lines are not especially busy, I don't say anything
at all. I say "hello" or maybe "hold on" and just let the call sit
there. The longer I can waste their time waiting for someone to talk
to them, the less productive their day will be.

I did that to a telemarketer a number of years ago - told him "hold on", set
the phone down, and went back to talking with my friends in the other room.
This guy was either really new on the job, or as dumb as a doorknob -
_five_full_minutes_ later, I went to hang up the phone, and heard him saying
"Mr. Miller? Mr. Miller? Are you there, Mr. Miller?"

--
Regards,