Percival P. Cassidy

On 03/30/05 06:45 pm Rich Greenberg tossed the following ingredients
into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

How do people in the forum deal with constant
phone calls from the fraternal order of police
asking for donations?

We are getting plagued by these calls despite
making a donation.

Is there a # to call to be removed from their list?

As soon as you recognize the call, interrupt them (no need for
politeness here) and say:

"Please put this number on your do not call list and do not call again".

If they say anything other than yes, goodby, repeat again.

And if anyone thinks that donations will halp thier local law enforcers,
think again.

1) Its a professional fund raiser that gives only a small fraction to
the police.

Yes, I looked this up many months back and found that one of the
companies doing this doesn't even give a percentage to the FOP or other
body: they agree to pay the FOP so much a month and get to keep the rest
for themselves.

2) Its not the police dept getting the funds, its the police union (in
most cases).

That's also true, as far as I could find out. In fact, one of the police
unions promotes this to its members on its Web site: "Look at this great
deal we've done with XYZ Fundraisers to keep your union dues down" (or
words to that effect).