Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mikhael47

Default Lifetime of an outdoor GFCI

I have an outdoor GFCI outlet. About every two years, I have to replace the
outlet. It doesn't trip very often (if at all) between the time I install
the new one, and the time it finally starts to trip constantly. I do run
pond equipment on this circuit all summer. It seems to fail in the winter
time when I either plug my truck's block heater in, or I try and start my
snowblower. It doesn't trip if I plug my xmas lights into it.

I am not an expert electrician, however when I built our home, I was present
when the wiring for the house was done. I can confirm that there is no
damage to the circuit cabling. This leads me to believe that the GFCI
itself is failing. If I replace the GFCI it will work as expected.

My question is, is it reasonable to only expect 2 years of regular service
out of a GFCI? What are the recommended brands for outdoor use?

Thanks

Mike

RIDGID Lifetime warranty on power tools StacyW Home Repair 29 December 14th 16 01:39 AM
Cordless drills Alan Woodworking 33 November 21st 03 07:12 PM
Sears Craftsman lifetime warranty John Holbrook Metalworking 8 September 30th 03 12:51 AM