Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Sam Hopkins

Default Rafter size

Hello,

I'm building a picnic pavilion and was trying to figure out
what size rafters I need. I'm trying to get away with 2X4's 24" OTC.
The building is 10'X16' so the span is 5' on each side. There will be
an overhang of about 2 feet. So the rafter needs to be 7 feet but for
calculations it is only 5 feet (ridge board to top sill plate). Can I
get away with 2X4's? I'm in southwestern PA, zone 5.

Here's the stats for my area:

Code: BOCA 1999
Wind: 80
Ground Snow: 25

Live Load:20
*Roof Snow:18
Exposu B

Acceleration Coefficient (Aa):0.05
*Roof Snow is a calculation based on the Ground Snow.

Thanks,

Sam Hopkins

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 21:19:28 -0400, someone wrote:

A rafter will only be 7 feet long with a 5' span and a 2' overhang if it is
a flat roof. Any slope will add to the length.

He'll be buying 8 foot anyway, I presume.

-v.

On 10 Oct 2004 07:01:34 -0700, someone wrote:

... buys at a
real lumber yard where they will cut them for him....

?? I think of a "home center" as someplace that cuts boards for
customers, and a "real lumber yard" as someplace that sells stock
sizes to contractors who have their own saws and cut their own
lengths!

-v.

On 12 Oct 2004 06:29:00 -0700, someone wrote:

Wrong. I have never seen a 'real' lumberyard that didn't cater
heavily to homeowners/handymen. Eveyone I do business with is more
than happy to cut to size for me.

Oh, my local lumberyard has a sign on the wall "cuts $1 ea."; they'll
do it. But as I stand at the counter, I see that the overwhelming
majority of the quantities sold are stock lengths - often full bundles
or pallets - that the users will cut themselves.

My personal observation is that most customers of real lumber yards do
NOT have their wood cut for them, even though the yards will do it for
the occasional customer who asks for it.

I don't recall ever having a lumber yard cut a board or even a panel
for me, though its been a lot of years, maybe I did sometime way back
whenever.

-v.

Harry K

(v) wrote in message ...
On 12 Oct 2004 06:29:00 -0700, someone wrote:

Wrong. I have never seen a 'real' lumberyard that didn't cater
heavily to homeowners/handymen. Eveyone I do business with is more
than happy to cut to size for me.

Oh, my local lumberyard has a sign on the wall "cuts $1 ea."; they'll
do it. But as I stand at the counter, I see that the overwhelming
majority of the quantities sold are stock lengths - often full bundles
or pallets - that the users will cut themselves.

My personal observation is that most customers of real lumber yards do
NOT have their wood cut for them, even though the yards will do it for
the occasional customer who asks for it.

I don't recall ever having a lumber yard cut a board or even a panel
for me, though its been a lot of years, maybe I did sometime way back
whenever.

-v.

Your choice at a lumber yard. Buy stock sizes and throw away cut-offs
or ask for cuts (usually no charge) to get the size you really need
with no waste. Note though that the no charge price will usually be
for you to take the whole thing. They aren't about to cut a 8' down
to 7' and then charge 7' price. In the sample under discussion here,
my local yard will gladly cut 14' down to two 7' no problem. My
practice still is after all these years is to make out a cutting list,
figure the most ecomical sizes to buy, and if necessary have the
lumber cut to specified size for hauling convenience. My haulers have
been full-size PU where hauling anything over about 10' becomes a
problem.

Harry K