Eric Tonks

A rafter will only be 7 feet long with a 5' span and a 2' overhang if it is
a flat roof. Any slope will add to the length.

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I'm building a picnic pavilion and was trying to figure out
what size rafters I need. I'm trying to get away with 2X4's 24" OTC.
The building is 10'X16' so the span is 5' on each side. There will be
an overhang of about 2 feet. So the rafter needs to be 7 feet but for
calculations it is only 5 feet (ridge board to top sill plate). Can I
get away with 2X4's? I'm in southwestern PA, zone 5.

Here's the stats for my area:

Code: BOCA 1999
Wind: 80
Ground Snow: 25

Live Load:20
*Roof Snow:18
Exposu B

Acceleration Coefficient (Aa):0.05
*Roof Snow is a calculation based on the Ground Snow.

Thanks,

Sam Hopkins