DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rafter size (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/72509-rafter-size.html)

Sam Hopkins October 8th 04 08:05 PM

Rafter size

Hello,

I'm building a picnic pavilion and was trying to figure out
what size rafters I need. I'm trying to get away with 2X4's 24" OTC.
The building is 10'X16' so the span is 5' on each side. There will be
an overhang of about 2 feet. So the rafter needs to be 7 feet but for
calculations it is only 5 feet (ridge board to top sill plate). Can I
get away with 2X4's? I'm in southwestern PA, zone 5.

Here's the stats for my area:

Code: BOCA 1999
Wind: 80
Ground Snow: 25

Live Load:20
*Roof Snow:18
Exposu B

Acceleration Coefficient (Aa):0.05
*Roof Snow is a calculation based on the Ground Snow.

Thanks,

Sam Hopkins

Robert Morien October 8th 04 10:57 PM

In article ,
(Sam Hopkins) wrote:

Hello,

I'm building a picnic pavilion and was trying to figure out
what size rafters I need. I'm trying to get away with 2X4's 24" OTC.
The building is 10'X16' so the span is 5' on each side. There will be
an overhang of about 2 feet. So the rafter needs to be 7 feet but for
calculations it is only 5 feet (ridge board to top sill plate). Can I
get away with 2X4's? I'm in southwestern PA, zone 5.

Here's the stats for my area:

Code: BOCA 1999
Wind: 80
Ground Snow: 25

Live Load:20
*Roof Snow:18
Exposu B

Acceleration Coefficient (Aa):0.05
*Roof Snow is a calculation based on the Ground Snow.

Thanks,

Sam Hopkins

What does your building code say? You did do that research, correct?

Harry K October 9th 04 03:36 AM

Robert Morien wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Sam Hopkins) wrote:

[...]

Lots of things like that have been built with 2x4 rafters. The only
thing (other than local code) that I see wrong with them is the
weakness caused by cutting the birdsmouth. That effectively reduces
the part supporting the 2' overhand to a 2x2 or 2x3. Of course if you
use metal brackets with no birdsmouth - no problem.

Correction to your figures before you buy the lumber. Your rafters
will be longer than 7' if there is any rise at all to your roof.

Harry K

kris October 9th 04 04:20 PM

(Sam Hopkins) wrote in message . com...
Hello,

I'm building a picnic pavilion and was trying to figure out
what size rafters I need. I'm trying to get away with 2X4's 24" OTC.
The building is 10'X16' so the span is 5' on each side. There will be
an overhang of about 2 feet. So the rafter needs to be 7 feet but for
calculations it is only 5 feet (ridge board to top sill plate). Can I
get away with 2X4's? I'm in southwestern PA, zone 5.

Here's the stats for my area:

Code: BOCA 1999
Wind: 80
Ground Snow: 25

Live Load:20
*Roof Snow:18
Exposu B

Acceleration Coefficient (Aa):0.05
*Roof Snow is a calculation based on the Ground Snow.

Thanks,

Sam Hopkins

Sam

Keep in mind that the building code is minimum acceptable
requirements. If your planning on enjoying your picnic pavilion for
years to come, I would suggest using 2x6 rafter material, 16" O.C. I
prefer the 2x6 for the same reason Harry mentioned, after cutting out
for the birdsmouth, there is little material left for structural
strength.

Good luck
kl

v October 9th 04 11:36 PM

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 21:19:28 -0400, someone wrote:

A rafter will only be 7 feet long with a 5' span and a 2' overhang if it is
a flat roof. Any slope will add to the length.

He'll be buying 8 foot anyway, I presume.

-v.

Harry K October 10th 04 03:01 PM

(v) wrote in message ...
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 21:19:28 -0400, someone wrote:

A rafter will only be 7 feet long with a 5' span and a 2' overhang if it is
a flat roof. Any slope will add to the length.

He'll be buying 8 foot anyway, I presume.

-v.

If he needs 7' (doubtful) he buy 14' and cuts in half or buys at a
real lumber yard where they will cut them for him. At today's lumber
prices it pays to plan lengths and cuts carefully.

Harry K

v October 11th 04 05:44 PM

On 10 Oct 2004 07:01:34 -0700, someone wrote:

... buys at a
real lumber yard where they will cut them for him....

?? I think of a "home center" as someplace that cuts boards for
customers, and a "real lumber yard" as someplace that sells stock
sizes to contractors who have their own saws and cut their own
lengths!

-v.

Harry K October 12th 04 02:29 PM

(v) wrote in message ...
On 10 Oct 2004 07:01:34 -0700, someone wrote:

... buys at a
real lumber yard where they will cut them for him....

?? I think of a "home center" as someplace that cuts boards for
customers, and a "real lumber yard" as someplace that sells stock
sizes to contractors who have their own saws and cut their own
lengths!

-v.

Wrong. I have never seen a 'real' lumberyard that didn't cater
heavily to homeowners/handymen. Eveyone I do business with is more
than happy to cut to size for me. I have never purchased (yet) from a
"home center" if you are referring to the discount stores.

Harry K

v October 13th 04 09:21 PM

On 12 Oct 2004 06:29:00 -0700, someone wrote:

Wrong. I have never seen a 'real' lumberyard that didn't cater
heavily to homeowners/handymen. Eveyone I do business with is more
than happy to cut to size for me.

Oh, my local lumberyard has a sign on the wall "cuts $1 ea."; they'll
do it. But as I stand at the counter, I see that the overwhelming
majority of the quantities sold are stock lengths - often full bundles
or pallets - that the users will cut themselves.

My personal observation is that most customers of real lumber yards do
NOT have their wood cut for them, even though the yards will do it for
the occasional customer who asks for it.

I don't recall ever having a lumber yard cut a board or even a panel
for me, though its been a lot of years, maybe I did sometime way back
whenever.

-v.

Harry K October 14th 04 03:32 PM

(v) wrote in message ...
On 12 Oct 2004 06:29:00 -0700, someone wrote:

Wrong. I have never seen a 'real' lumberyard that didn't cater
heavily to homeowners/handymen. Eveyone I do business with is more
than happy to cut to size for me.

Oh, my local lumberyard has a sign on the wall "cuts $1 ea."; they'll
do it. But as I stand at the counter, I see that the overwhelming
majority of the quantities sold are stock lengths - often full bundles
or pallets - that the users will cut themselves.

My personal observation is that most customers of real lumber yards do
NOT have their wood cut for them, even though the yards will do it for
the occasional customer who asks for it.

I don't recall ever having a lumber yard cut a board or even a panel
for me, though its been a lot of years, maybe I did sometime way back
whenever.

-v.

Your choice at a lumber yard. Buy stock sizes and throw away cut-offs
or ask for cuts (usually no charge) to get the size you really need
with no waste. Note though that the no charge price will usually be
for you to take the whole thing. They aren't about to cut a 8' down
to 7' and then charge 7' price. In the sample under discussion here,
my local yard will gladly cut 14' down to two 7' no problem. My
practice still is after all these years is to make out a cutting list,
figure the most ecomical sizes to buy, and if necessary have the
lumber cut to specified size for hauling convenience. My haulers have
been full-size PU where hauling anything over about 10' becomes a
problem.

Harry K