kris

(Sam Hopkins) wrote in message . com...
Hello,

I'm building a picnic pavilion and was trying to figure out
what size rafters I need. I'm trying to get away with 2X4's 24" OTC.
The building is 10'X16' so the span is 5' on each side. There will be
an overhang of about 2 feet. So the rafter needs to be 7 feet but for
calculations it is only 5 feet (ridge board to top sill plate). Can I
get away with 2X4's? I'm in southwestern PA, zone 5.

Here's the stats for my area:

Code: BOCA 1999
Wind: 80
Ground Snow: 25

Live Load:20
*Roof Snow:18
Exposu B

Acceleration Coefficient (Aa):0.05
*Roof Snow is a calculation based on the Ground Snow.

Thanks,

Sam Hopkins

Sam

Keep in mind that the building code is minimum acceptable
requirements. If your planning on enjoying your picnic pavilion for
years to come, I would suggest using 2x6 rafter material, 16" O.C. I
prefer the 2x6 for the same reason Harry mentioned, after cutting out
for the birdsmouth, there is little material left for structural
strength.

Good luck
kl