Harry K

Robert Morien wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Sam Hopkins) wrote:

Hello,

I'm building a picnic pavilion and was trying to figure out
what size rafters I need. I'm trying to get away with 2X4's 24" OTC.
The building is 10'X16' so the span is 5' on each side. There will be
an overhang of about 2 feet. So the rafter needs to be 7 feet but for
calculations it is only 5 feet (ridge board to top sill plate). Can I
get away with 2X4's? I'm in southwestern PA, zone 5.

Here's the stats for my area:

Code: BOCA 1999
Wind: 80
Ground Snow: 25

Live Load:20
*Roof Snow:18
Exposu B

Acceleration Coefficient (Aa):0.05
*Roof Snow is a calculation based on the Ground Snow.

Thanks,

Sam Hopkins

What does your building code say? You did do that research, correct?

Lots of things like that have been built with 2x4 rafters. The only
thing (other than local code) that I see wrong with them is the
weakness caused by cutting the birdsmouth. That effectively reduces
the part supporting the 2' overhand to a 2x2 or 2x3. Of course if you
use metal brackets with no birdsmouth - no problem.

Correction to your figures before you buy the lumber. Your rafters
will be longer than 7' if there is any rise at all to your roof.

Harry K