Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Billy

Default Plantation shutters - in or out?

Here's a strange question for this group but I don't know where else to ask it.

The wife and I are looking at installing about $5000 worth of plantation
shutters, mainly because we have a lot of windows (and an 18ft ceiling in the
family room) on the east side of the house. There are problems, therefore,
with too much bright light, heat, and damaging rays on the furniture and
artwork/photos. Since we are getting them on sale, the wife wants to also do
the dining room and living room on the west side.

I always thought wood shutters added to the value of the house, but I spoke to
my mother today who told me that some of the decorating shows she watches are
tending toward removing shutters.

I don't watch these shows, but it put just a big enough bug in my head to make
me second guess spending this kind of money.

So are plantation (real wood) shutters on their way "out of style", or did she
misinterpret what she saw? I know that on shows like Trading Spaces they always
want to remove ceiling fans, but removing hundreds/thousands of dollars worth of
wood shutters is a different animal altogether!

And another question -

The wife likes the 3.5 inch slats on the shutters, which I am ok with, but on
our second floor I have installed 2inch wood blinds on the windows. Is it
considered "bad taste", or would it look odd, to have 3.5 inch shutters on the
windows on the bottom floor and 2inch wood blinds on the top floor (with respect
to the view from the street?) Should we do all the shutters 3.5" or is it ok to
mix?
Brikp

I like real shutters. Ones that actually operate, their original intended
purpose. Are plantation shutters inside or out?

Outside shutters are traditionally done raised pannel on 1st floor and
louvered on 2nd floor. It was done this way, I think, for ventalation on
second floor and security on 1st.

As I write this I am guessing you are taling about inside.

Do what you like IMO.

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

George

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

Unless it is really important to you to mimic what is done on a TV program
then who cares if they are "in" or "out" as long as they serve a practical
purpose and it is something you are happy with? Its not as if you are
painting your house purple with yellow stripes.

Billy

Unless it is really important to you to mimic what is done on a TV program
then who cares if they are "in" or "out" as long as they serve a practical
purpose and it is something you are happy with? Its not as if you are
painting your house purple with yellow stripes.

Uh oh, I guess I need to return the purple paint.

The #1 important thing is to make sure we do something that adds value to the
house. I could staple a tarp over the windows to solve the light and heat
problems I mentioned, but nobody would buy the house like that.

It's kind of like when my mother tried to sell our old house a few years ago.
When you live on your own for nearly two decades you acquire an objectivity that
did not exist when you were living at home. So, for the first time I was able
to really see the corn-yellow cabinet tops and avacado green fridge for all
their swinging-70's-inspired glory. I bet it looked quite "in" at the time, but
now it just makes you look nervously over your shoulder for John Travolta to
burst out of the pantry and start strutting around while humming 'Stayin Alive'.

I know shutters are not such an extreme example (we are also getting white to
match the trim - can't get much more generic than that) but the cost involved
forces me to find some reassurance it will be a worthwhile investment.
D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Billy wrote:

So are plantation (real wood) shutters on their way "out of style", or did she
misinterpret what she saw? I

Who cares? Do you like them or not? I know I like them, but certain fine
draperies are also nice.

Should we do all the shutters 3.5" or is it ok to mix?

Why are you asking us? It's your house.

Dimitri

Travis Jordan

Billy wrote:
/snip/
I know shutters are not such an extreme example (we are also getting
white to match the trim - can't get much more generic than that) but
the cost involved forces me to find some reassurance it will be a
worthwhile investment.

Investment? I think not. Studies show that adding minor external
details such as new trim, doors, etc. rarely return more than 50% of
their cost when the home is sold. So if you like the shutters, then go
ahead and install 'em. But although they be a sensible expenditure of
money for you, they aren't a good investment in the classical sense.

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Travis Jordan wrote:
Billy wrote:
/snip/

I know shutters are not such an extreme example (we are also getting
white to match the trim - can't get much more generic than that) but
the cost involved forces me to find some reassurance it will be a
worthwhile investment.

Investment? I think not. Studies show that adding minor external
details such as new trim, doors, etc. rarely return more than 50% of
their cost when the home is sold.

This is an internal detail, but the idea is the same. Even if they return
50% on cost that could be substantial, though. In terms of resale, I
would speculate that shutters return more than draperies simply because
the shutters are fixed. Draperies are often not included in the sale of
a house, but shutters certainly will be. There is some value in moving
into a house that does not have bare windows. We all see people move into
new houses and do the tinfoil, paper, and/or sheet thing until the window
coverings are ordered and arrive (which can take months!). I know that I did
it myself.

...they aren't a good investment in the classical sense.

No, of course not. They won't ever return more than what you paid for
them. Some expenses hold value better than others, though.

Dimitri

Tracy

Billy wrote in message . ..

The #1 important thing is to make sure we do something that adds value to the
house. I could staple a tarp over the windows to solve the light and heat
problems I mentioned, but nobody would buy the house like that.

I don't see them as often as I used to, especially not in higher-end
homes. And you definitely won't recoup the cost when you sell. But it
sounds like you *need* them, so you should still consider it. You
might also consider plantation blinds, which have a similar function
but are much less expensive.
Tracy

Billy wrote in message . ..

Our problem is how to cover the windows to block the sun in the early day, but
still allow us to open the blinds if we want to see the trees after the sun has
passed over the house. Only way I know of is some sort of motorized blind, or
the shutters (I could rig up a pole with a small hook on the end to push or pull
the louver handle).

I'd go with the motorized blinds. Last time I checked, they cost less
than comparable plantation shutters, and they're easy enough to hide
under a pretty valance for people who don't always want to see them.