Blake Patterson

Default Q about painting / removing outdoor shutters .. help!

We have two downstairs windows that have sets of aluminum shutters
(painted) beside the windows.

Photo:
http://homepage.mac.com/blakespot/.P...0Pictures/2003
-03-17%2004.00.10%20-0800/Image-C2FA30EE586E11D7.jpg

....anyway, looking at them, each one is secured to the brick by 6 normal
screws. I am unsure whether these screw directly into the brick or if
there are some kind of sleeves that were inserted for them to screw
into, inside the brick. I am wondering if it's a bad idea to remove
these shutters for painting. I can handle brush painting them, but it
would seem that a nicer look would come from using a compressed air
spray system to paint them - BUT we are also painting the front door the
same color and it was just painted on the inside-side white, so it would
seem that spraying it would likely taint the white side, so a brush is
more feasable there. Unwise to try and match color on sprayed items and
brushed items, perhaps...?

Is brushing the shutters going to look terrible? thanks.

bp

--
Heisenberg may have slept here.
RamblinOn

clipped

more feasable there. Unwise to try and match color on sprayed items and
brushed items, perhaps...?

Is brushing the shutters going to look terrible? thanks.

bp

You can mask the white side of the door to keep spray off it. If
sanded, and then brushed with a good brush, the difference should not be
noticed. I found a great little gadget, by accident, when I was getting
ready to paint louvered closet doors (arghhhhh!). There are kits, with
compressed aerosol cans and a jar for your own paint. Found 'em at home
depot. Have to thin paint (alkyd) with penetrol. Worked like a charm.
For drips, I kept a small foam brush, damp with mineral spirits, to get
the drips before they dried. The spray pattern is narrow and pretty
easy to control. Leveled out nicely. Took the doors outside to do it.
I've never used a compressor, but seemed easier than fooling with one
for a fairly small project. I sprayed the louvers and edges, did the
frame with brush. Got into the spaces between slats and the edges of
them very nicely. The previous paint job was lousy, lots of globbies
and drips - had them upside down, apparently, when they were painted
before. I did primer and paint with the little sprayer, after slicing
off the globbies and sanding.