D. Gerasimatos

Default Plantation shutters - in or out?

In article ,
Travis Jordan wrote:
Billy wrote:
/snip/

I know shutters are not such an extreme example (we are also getting
white to match the trim - can't get much more generic than that) but
the cost involved forces me to find some reassurance it will be a
worthwhile investment.

Investment? I think not. Studies show that adding minor external
details such as new trim, doors, etc. rarely return more than 50% of
their cost when the home is sold.

This is an internal detail, but the idea is the same. Even if they return
50% on cost that could be substantial, though. In terms of resale, I
would speculate that shutters return more than draperies simply because
the shutters are fixed. Draperies are often not included in the sale of
a house, but shutters certainly will be. There is some value in moving
into a house that does not have bare windows. We all see people move into
new houses and do the tinfoil, paper, and/or sheet thing until the window
coverings are ordered and arrive (which can take months!). I know that I did
it myself.

...they aren't a good investment in the classical sense.

No, of course not. They won't ever return more than what you paid for
them. Some expenses hold value better than others, though.

Dimitri