Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

Default More Americans Worse Off Financially Than a Year Ago

The voyage to the bottom of the toilet just never gets old for us
americans, does it?

How low will we go?

"The share of Americans saying they are financially worse off
compared with a year ago is, by historical standards, high
-- eight percentage points above the average.

The record high of 55% occurred in May and September 2008,
the year (and, in the latter case, the month) of the global
financial meltdown orchestrated by GW Bush and Alan Greenspan"

========================

January 15, 2014

More Americans Worse Off Financially Than a Year Ago

http://www.gallup.com/poll/166850/am...-year-ago.aspx

More Americans Worse Off Financially Than a Year Ago
Yet most expect to be better off within a year, as if living in a fairy
tale.

WASHINGTON, D.C. - More Americans, 42%, say they are financially worse
off now than they were a year ago, reversing the lower levels found over
the past two years. Just more than a third of Americans say their
financial situation has improved from a year ago.

These results come from Gallup's annual "Mood of the Nation" poll,
conducted Jan. 5-8. Gallup has found that Americans' economic
confidence, self-reported consumer spending, and perceptions of job
creation improved in 2013. Despite Americans' more positive views of the
overall U.S. economy in 2013, nearly two-thirds believe their personal
financial situation deteriorated or was stable over the past year.

Though down from mid-2013, the percentage of Americans saying they are
financially better off than a year ago is nearly in line with the
historical average (38%), spanning 1976-2014. On the other hand, the
share of Americans saying they are financially worse off compared with a
year ago is, by historical standards, high -- eight percentage points
above the average. The record high of 55% occurred in May and September
2008, the year (and, in the latter case, the month) of the global
financial meltdown.

Most Americans Have High Economic Hopes for Year Ahead, because they're
****ing idiots with no intelligence, memory, or ability to reason

While many Americans say the past year was a financial dud, a majority
(55%) predict that at this time next year they will be financially
better off. Child-like optimism about the future may still be the
predominant feeling, but the overall positivity of the nation's personal
financial predictions appears to be easing, compared with the average
during the past decade.

Bottom Line

Despite a sustained, if sluggish, economic recovery that has lasted
nearly five years, most Americans report being no better off financially
than they were a year ago. Indeed, the share of Americans saying last
year put them in a worse financial position is on the higher end of the
1976-2014 trend. Although this would seem to suggest that many Americans
begin this year in a state of financial unease, a majority instead
believe the next year will be financially uplifting. As previous years
show, Americans are typically more positive about their future compared
with their assessments of the past, a testament to the enduring sense of
optimism many Americans share about their financial future.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On 1/15/2014 7:11 PM, Gallup wrote:
The voyage to the bottom of the toilet just never gets old for us
americans, does it?

How low will we go?

WASHINGTON, D.C. - More Americans, 42%, say they are financially worse
off now than they were a year ago, reversing the lower levels found over
the past two years. Just more than a third of Americans say their
financial situation has improved from a year ago.

Bottom Line

Despite a sustained, if sluggish, economic recovery that has lasted
nearly five years, most Americans report being no better off financially
than they were a year ago. Indeed, the share of Americans saying last

When each year gets worse, who in his right
mind calls that a "sustained recovery"?

Oh, wait, politicians do. Nevermind.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 1/15/2014 7:11 PM, Gallup wrote:
The voyage to the bottom of the toilet just never gets old for us
americans, does it?

How low will we go?

WASHINGTON, D.C. - More Americans, 42%, say they are financially worse
off now than they were a year ago, reversing the lower levels found over

Due to cutbacks, an across the board cut of 10%,no raises, loss of matching
401k funds, insurance, the people where I worked are worse off than they
were over 10 years ago, maybe almost 15 years ago. I retired 2 years ago
and with the pension funds I managed to salvage, I am beter off retired than
working.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On 01/15/2014 04:31 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

When each year gets worse, who in his right
mind calls that a "sustained recovery"?

Oh, wait, politicians do. Nevermind.

"Recovery" = "It could have been worse."

--
Cheers, Bev
If you are going to try cross-country skiing,
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

The Real Bev wrote:
On 01/15/2014 04:31 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

When each year gets worse, who in his right
mind calls that a "sustained recovery"?

Oh, wait, politicians do. Nevermind.

"Recovery" = "It could have been worse."

Hi,
Isn't that what happens when a country or household live beyond their
means? Some thing has to give..... but what can you do? Money does not
grow on the trees, print more money? I guess not.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On 1/16/2014 7:44 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
On 01/15/2014 04:31 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

When each year gets worse, who in his right
mind calls that a "sustained recovery"?

Oh, wait, politicians do. Nevermind.

"Recovery" = "It could have been worse."

Hi,
Isn't that what happens when a country or household live beyond their
means? Some thing has to give..... but what can you do? Money does not
grow on the trees, print more money? I guess not.

US government has been printing $85 billion per month although they are
cutting down to $75 billion with "recovery".

petroleum products and food as commodities are excluded and other things
only a warped economist would love.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

The Real Bev wrote:
On 01/15/2014 04:31 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

When each year gets worse, who in his right
mind calls that a "sustained recovery"?

Oh, wait, politicians do. Nevermind.

"Recovery" = "It could have been worse."

Hi,
Isn't that what happens when a country or household live beyond their
means? Some thing has to give..... but what can you do? Money does not
grow on the trees, print more money? I guess not.

US government has been printing $85 billion per month although they are
cutting down to $75 billion with "recovery".

Said not to cause inflation but you ought to see how they calculate it:
petroleum products and food as commodities are excluded and other things
only a warped economist would love.

Hmm,
Inflation? May be price stays same but noticed deep con caved bottom of
fruit jam jars, mandrels on toilet paper diameter getting bigger,
etc., etc. Economic woes U.S. is facing now started way back in the days
of Nixon, and Greenspan. Greenspan is not a trained economist,
he is a mathematician. Read his biography?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 18:28:17 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Economic woes U.S. is facing now started way back in the days
of Nixon, and Greenspan.

Why are Americans still taxed for the post Civil War debit? Our "woes"
started long before Nixon, et al.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 19:11:49 -0500, Gallup wrote:

The voyage to the bottom of the toilet just never gets old for us
americans, does it?

Ignore Home Guy. He is from Quebec, a French Canuck. Pretends to
worry about things that do not matter, presently across the border. I
bet Canada will be forced into speaking French.

Aside, take the "Beiber" back before he throws eggs at American homes.

Leave us with Shania Twain.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

Oren wrote:

The voyage to the bottom of the toilet just never gets old for us
americans, does it?

Ignore Home Guy. He is from Quebec, a French Canuck.

Um - no. Not from Q-bec.

Pretends to worry about things that do not matter, presently
across the border. I bet Canada will be forced into speaking
French.

While the US will be a primarily spanish-speaking country in about 20
years, rest assured that Canada will never become predominantly
french-speaking.

Aside, take the "Beiber" back before he throws eggs at American
homes.

Leave us with Shania Twain.

What about Avril Lavigne?

Pamela Anderson?

Donald Sutherland?

Michael J Fox?

Dan Aykroyd?

Mike Meyers?

Martin Short?

Jim Carrey?

William Shatner?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 21:33:39 -0500, House Man wrote:

Oren wrote:

The voyage to the bottom of the toilet just never gets old for us
americans, does it?

Ignore Home Guy. He is from Quebec, a French Canuck.

Um - no. Not from Q-bec.

Home Guy, funny you picked "House Man" as a nym shift.

House Man: in a male prison is a cell block orderly job.

I'd have you return to your cell, take off the leopard un dies and
dress according to the proper dress code. Instruct you then to mop the
floors, clean the areas of responsibility. If you messed with me I
would have you making big rocks into little rocks on a gun squad.
Don't press your luck with me, House Man!

Pretends to worry about things that do not matter, presently
across the border. I bet Canada will be forced into speaking
French.

While the US will be a primarily spanish-speaking country in about 20
years, rest assured that Canada will never become predominantly
french-speaking.

Aside, take the "Beiber" back before he throws eggs at American
homes.

Leave us with Shania Twain.

What about Avril Lavigne?

Pamela Anderson?

Donald Sutherland?

Michael J Fox?

Dan Aykroyd?

Mike Meyers?

Martin Short?

Jim Carrey?

William Shatner?

Take them ALL back! Right now. America would be better off.

You farkin canuck
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On 1/15/14 6:52 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Due to cutbacks, an across the board cut of 10%,no raises, loss of matching
401k funds, insurance, the people where I worked are worse off than they
were over 10 years ago, maybe almost 15 years ago. I retired 2 years ago
and with the pension funds I managed to salvage, I am beter off retired than
working.

Inflation calculator here
http://tinyurl.com/5h38zj at the Dollar Times.
Someone making $5.00 per hour in 1976 would have had to make
$20.68 per hour in 2013 to stay even. Tax not included.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On 1/16/2014 9:09 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 1/15/14 6:52 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Due to cutbacks, an across the board cut of 10%,no raises, loss of
matching
401k funds, insurance, the people where I worked are worse off than they
were over 10 years ago, maybe almost 15 years ago. I retired 2 years ago
and with the pension funds I managed to salvage, I am beter off
retired than
working.

Inflation calculator here
http://tinyurl.com/5h38zj at the Dollar Times.
Someone making $5.00 per hour in 1976 would have had to make
$20.68 per hour in 2013 to stay even. Tax not included.

I wish they would use the CPI of say, 1970. I wonder what the past 30
years would look like. Whatever calculation they use, I still do not
believe it represents the modern buying power(or lack thereof) of the
U.S. dollar. Though, not knowing what comprises the CPI might change
my mind, but being able to fully fund a trip to a movie, for four
people, for under $20 contrasted with that being the price for just
myself, today, makes me scratch my head. Hell, back then I was able to
purchase more per person. Now, I get a ticket, a small tub of popcorn,
a med drink, a package of Red Vines, and some Milk Duds. I used to
get tickets, a large popcorn, a large drink, Red Vines, Milk Duds, Hot
Tamales and about the same for three other people. The before prices
were Cali, the current is Arky. I have no idea what Cali is like, now.

A trip to the grocery store and the pump...

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On 1/17/14 1:11 AM, SteveF wrote:

I wish they would use the CPI of say, 1970. I wonder what the past 30
years would look like. Whatever calculation they use, I still do not
believe it represents the modern buying power(or lack thereof) of the
U.S. dollar. Though, not knowing what comprises the CPI might change
my mind, but being able to fully fund a trip to a movie, for four
people, for under $20 contrasted with that being the price for just
myself, today, makes me scratch my head. Hell, back then I was able to
purchase more per person. Now, I get a ticket, a small tub of popcorn,
a med drink, a package of Red Vines, and some Milk Duds. I used to
get tickets, a large popcorn, a large drink, Red Vines, Milk Duds, Hot
Tamales and about the same for three other people. The before prices
were Cali, the current is Arky. I have no idea what Cali is like, now.

A trip to the grocery store and the pump...

A bit here from the U.S. Department of Agricultu
http://tinyurl.com/mpzq8tc
Americans spend about 10% of our income on food if memory serves.
Inflation adjusted gas prices from inflationdata.com
http://tinyurl.com/emy76

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
news:lbct7s$b08$ A bit here from the U.S. Department of Agricultu
http://tinyurl.com/mpzq8tc
Americans spend about 10% of our income on food if memory serves.

It all depends on how much you make. People making large ammounts of money
have a lower percentage than the average and poor people. Also is that just
food, or all things bought in the grocery store such as wiping paper and
other products that are not eaten.
Does eating out count in that also ? A meal at a mid scale place could cost
a big percentage of the weks budget.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 17:44:32 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
On 01/15/2014 04:31 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

When each year gets worse, who in his right
mind calls that a "sustained recovery"?

Oh, wait, politicians do. Nevermind.

"Recovery" = "It could have been worse."

Hi,
Isn't that what happens when a country or household live beyond their
means? Some thing has to give..... but what can you do? Money does not
grow on the trees, print more money? I guess not.

But that's *exactly* what your messiah is doing.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On 1/17/14 9:57 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
news:lbct7s$b08$ A bit here from the U.S. Department of Agricultu
http://tinyurl.com/mpzq8tc
Americans spend about 10% of our income on food if memory serves.

It all depends on how much you make. People making large ammounts of money
have a lower percentage than the average and poor people. Also is that just
food, or all things bought in the grocery store such as wiping paper and
other products that are not eaten.
Does eating out count in that also ? A meal at a mid scale place could cost
a big percentage of the weks budget.

Clicking on the first link on this page will answer some of your
questions. http://tinyurl.com/kjj8tfu will take you to a Bing
search page.
The Economic Research Service of the United States Department of
Agriculture tracks that kind of thing. There's also a bunch of other
stuff. Somewhere there is a table listing the farm to consumer price
spreads. A farmer might get a nickel out of the price of a loaf of
bread for example.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

Engel index still stands. What producer(farmer) gets vs. consumer pays,
how many layers are there in between? That is part of free economy.