Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

Default Lowes reselling returned merchandise

Last April DH and I bought a light fixture at Lowes, along with a few
other things for our bathroom remodel. We put the items into the pile of boxes
in the garage - the toilets and sinks and other fixtures that were waiting for
the end of the project when they could be installed. Our mistake was to not
check in all the boxes immediately to make sure nothing was broken. We also
screwed up by not keeping the reciept for that Lowes purchase, but I thought my
husband was. So we know that we screwed up.
However, the electrician broke open the boxes on the light fixtures
this week and installed them. Except for the one we bought at Lowes. Despite
being in a sealed box; it was a different finish, a different style, and it was
broken. Clearly somebody had bought it previously, shoved their old fixture
into the box and took it back to Lowes as a return. And Lowes promptly put it
back on the shelves to be resold, just like Fry's electronics is known to do.
We're going to see if we can return it this weekend, but since we made
the above screwups, we know we might just be out $50 or whatever it cost. But
at the very least, I wanted to warn you guys here, and also we can let the
store manager know that his people are not checking returned merchandise before
putting it back out to be resold. (Assuming it's not a managerial policy to
begin with...)

- Sharon
"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"
Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

I bought a computer component at Best Buy years ago. When I opened it
I found a box of chocolates and a roll of masking tape. Someone had
bought the orignial product, put miscellaneous stuff in to give it the
right "weight and rattle", re-shrink wrapped it, and returned it. I
can't blame Best Buy too much as someone obviously was being dishonest.

Bought a cordless tool set at Home Depot last year. Got it home and
found the bags were filled with saw dust. Not sure if someone returned
it for being defective or finished their job and did not need it. This
I blame HD for as it was clear the package had been opened.

I would take it back to Lowes and explain what happened. They might be
able to trace the previous buyer. They also might still give you a
replacement. I'm sure it is not the first time it has happened to
someone.

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a computer component at Best Buy years ago. When I opened it
I found a box of chocolates and a roll of masking tape. Someone had
bought the orignial product, put miscellaneous stuff in to give it the
right "weight and rattle", re-shrink wrapped it, and returned it. I
can't blame Best Buy too much as someone obviously was being dishonest.

Bought a cordless tool set at Home Depot last year. Got it home and
found the bags were filled with saw dust. Not sure if someone returned
it for being defective or finished their job and did not need it. This
I blame HD for as it was clear the package had been opened.

I would take it back to Lowes and explain what happened. They might be
able to trace the previous buyer. They also might still give you a
replacement. I'm sure it is not the first time it has happened to
someone.

I think the practice is pretty common, and shrink-wrap machines are now
pretty cheap. I recall once at circuit city, where I needed to pick up a
mouse for a relative. I pulled one out of the rack, and was walking to
register when I noticed it was upside down in the package. Carried it over
to a brighter light, and there were obvious scuff marks on the mouse, and it
was clearly a return. Taught me to be paranoid ever since then, especially
at computer shows (which appear to be dying out, at least here in flyover
country, since PCs became toasters.)

aem sends...

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

Lowe's also is big on keeping sales receipts...the store where I go has
a big sign over the returns desk outlining policy. I returned
something a few months back, had followed all the rules, and the clerk
did not want to accept it because it was a markdown. I had to ask for
the manager and he said okay right away....she said, "but we were told
yesterday....." and he cut her off and said it's okay. I think they
have too many cooks stirring the soup down there sometimes.

hubcap wrote:
writes:
I would take it back to Lowes and explain what happened. They might be
able to trace the previous buyer. They also might still give you a
replacement. I'm sure it is not the first time it has happened to
someone.

Lowes has a 30 day return policy, under normal circumstances.

-Mike

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

In article . com, "Dottie" wrote:
Lowe's also is big on keeping sales receipts...the store where I go has
a big sign over the returns desk outlining policy. I returned
something a few months back, had followed all the rules, and the clerk
did not want to accept it because it was a markdown. I had to ask for
the manager and he said okay right away....she said, "but we were told
yesterday....." and he cut her off and said it's okay. I think they
have too many cooks stirring the soup down there sometimes.

I worked part time in the electrical department at HD for about a year. I
remember one time where someone returned a 100' extension cord. It was a big
rat's nest, with mud on it, having clearly been used. HD gave the customer a
credit, and our department just tossed it. I also people returning fans at
the end of the summer, and generators after the ice storm, saying they
wouldn't start.

I can understand the stores trying to resell an item if it appears in like new
condition. For example, someone opens a package only to realize the item is
the wrong size.
Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

"Nosmo King" wrote in message
In article . com,
"Dottie" wrote:
[...]

I don't even have a problem with them reselling the dirty or 'buyer's
remorse' items, if they are so labeled and suitably discounted- Sam's club
does that in a back corner of most locations. I understand why some stores
don't wanna do that- reputation being worth more than the few recovered
dollars- but there is a whole secondary market for service return items.
Most brand-name power tools and electronics at Big Lots are service returns.
For a store that only has occasional returned items and doesn't want to
resell, they can always donate to Goodwill, Habitat ReStore, or similar. (Or
just have an unofficial spot by the dumpster for employees or whoever to
make the stuff vanish. I'd love to have a spare 100 foot cord...)

aem sends...

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

Nosmo King wrote:
In article . com, "Dottie" wrote:

[...]

When I worked in a department store (Rich's) back in the 1980's
part-time, the policy was to accept any merchandise that the store sold,
even without a receipt. There were instances of women who would "buy"
their children's fall wardrobe, and then return all the clothes in the
spring, then "buy" all the spring clothes only to return them later.
And there are plenty of instances where women bought gowns, wore them to
an event and returned them. All these situations led stores to require
a receipt. These scams by the customers force up prices and make
"customer service" very hard.

I can understand the stores trying to resell an item if it appears in like new
condition. For example, someone opens a package only to realize the item is
the wrong size.

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

Best Buy is known for this... not checking returned merchandise to make
certain it is not damaged or missing pieces before putting it back on
the shelves. I avoid any "open box" item at Best Buy or any store for
that reason.

I have to say that while it's VERY unlikely Lowe's will even care to
track down the original purchaser, it was brazen of them to put an old
fixture in the box, reseal it and return it for credit! What would they
have done if the clerk HAD opened the box in front of them to inspect?

I would go back to Lowe's and see if they'll take it. Depends on who
you get.

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

You stated that it was "in a sealed box", so what is it that you're
warning us about? Every business I know restocks returned merchandize,
if it's still sealed.

Stores can't win. If they try to resell returned merch, the guy buying
it bitches and moans. If they don't allow the return, the guy
returning it bitches and moans.

The clear solution is to have a penal restocking charge for any opened
product like 15 or 20%, then mark down those returned items the same
about and clearly label them as "returned" merchandise.

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...
You stated that it was "in a sealed box", so what is it that you're
warning us about? Every business I know restocks returned merchandize,
if it's still sealed.

Stores can't win. If they try to resell returned merch, the guy buying
it bitches and moans. If they don't allow the return, the guy
returning it bitches and moans.

The clear solution is to have a penal restocking charge for any opened
product like 15 or 20%, then mark down those returned items the same
about and clearly label them as "returned" merchandise.

Which is what actual supply houses, as opposed to stores targeted at
civilians, usually do. They trust their customers to know what the hell they
need, and to be willing to pay the restocking fee if they screw up. I've got
no heartburn with the concept. If I screw up and buy the wrong thing, and it
is a costly enough item to be worth returning, I deserve to pay a penalty.
And real supply houses find ways to discourage PITA customers, like
switching them from net 30 to cash on the barrelhead.

aem sends...

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

In article .com, "Ryan" writes:

Best Buy is known for this... not checking returned merchandise to make
certain it is not damaged or missing pieces before putting it back on
the shelves. I avoid any "open box" item at Best Buy or any store for
that reason.

I have to say that while it's VERY unlikely Lowe's will even care to
track down the original purchaser, it was brazen of them to put an old
fixture in the box, reseal it and return it for credit! What would they
have done if the clerk HAD opened the box in front of them to inspect?

I would go back to Lowe's and see if they'll take it. Depends on who
you get.

I'm the OP, so I thought I'd post a follow up. DH and I were amazed -
Lowes took it back and gave us a refund in the form of a gift card, which we
promptly used to buy the fixture we thought we got to begin with. It was VERY
nice that they gave us no fuss or friction over it, so I have to grant kudos to
Lowes for that.
The lady did look in the box to confirm the problem we reported with
it. As to whether it was later thrown away or put back on the shelf... we'll
never know.

- Sharon
"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , Sharon wrote:
In article .com, "Ryan" writes:

Best Buy is known for this... not checking returned merchandise to make
certain it is not damaged or missing pieces before putting it back on
the shelves. I avoid any "open box" item at Best Buy or any store for
that reason.

This sort of thing is done all the time.. There's an electronics store just
down the street called Fry's Electronics and they tag all of their returns
so it's easy to tell.. Just perusing the isles, you'll find lots of tagged
items of all sorts. Those are the ones I will never touch as it's likely
something is missing, etc.

YMMV..