Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default RJ45 Flush mounted wall Jack Wiring Help

Hi, am to clean up my house and don't want all these etherwires on the
floor so i am running everything trought my attic, I have enought wire
to got to each room. I purchaced Philips Modular outlets wall plate
RJ45 type, and here is my question I know how to wire the cat 5 cable
but i can't seem to find a wiring scheme for the wall plate it has 8
coundutors Blue, Orange, black, red, greenish blue, yellow, brown and
white. They don't match up to the colors for the ether cable. I was
wondering if anybody know where i can find the scheme or if anybody
know what it, i would really appriciate it. Thanks
-Josh

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
Rick Blaine wrote:

wrote:

Hi, am to clean up my house and don't want all these etherwires on the
floor so i am running everything trought my attic, I have enought wire
to got to each room. I purchaced Philips Modular outlets wall plate
RJ45 type, and here is my question I know how to wire the cat 5 cable
but i can't seem to find a wiring scheme for the wall plate it has 8
coundutors Blue, Orange, black, red, greenish blue, yellow, brown and
white. They don't match up to the colors for the ether cable. I was
wondering if anybody know where i can find the scheme or if anybody
know what it, i would really appriciate it. Thanks

The colors are immaterial. While its useful to have the wire color match the
jack, as long as you are consistent, you can use any scheme you like.

That will work, especially for short runs. The caveat is that
you want to keep pairs together. So pins 1 and 2 should be a
twisted pair, as are 4 and 5, 3 and 6, and 7 and 8. The blue
pair should hit pins 4 and 5, orange on 3 and 6, green on 1
and 2, and brown on 7 and 8.

You will probably need an ohm meter to figure out the pin-out.
Or if you look closely, you can sometimes trace it out. The
worst case is you break one and do a autopsy.

The standard I like is 568B:

5 - blue/white
4 - blue
3 - green/white
6 - green
1 - orange/white
2 - orange
7 - brown/white
8 - brown

Once you start, do as the poster above suggests and always stick
to the same scheme.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article . com,
wrote:
Hi, am to clean up my house and don't want all these etherwires on the
floor so i am running everything trought my attic, I have enought wire
to got to each room. I purchaced Philips Modular outlets wall plate
RJ45 type, and here is my question I know how to wire the cat 5 cable
but i can't seem to find a wiring scheme for the wall plate it has 8
coundutors Blue, Orange, black, red, greenish blue, yellow, brown and
white. They don't match up to the colors for the ether cable. I was
wondering if anybody know where i can find the scheme or if anybody
know what it, i would really appriciate it. Thanks

I think there is a standard for colors to pins but do not know it.

Try asking on comp.dcom.telecom

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red & Shasta (RIP),Red, Zero & Casey, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"John A. Weeks III" wrote:

The colors are immaterial. While its useful to have the wire color match the
jack, as long as you are consistent, you can use any scheme you like.

That will work, especially for short runs. The caveat is that
you want to keep pairs together.

That's true. I should have said the colors are immaterial, but you want to keep
the twisted pairs together. Ie, the TX pair should be twisted and the RX pair
should be twisted. On newer wiring this is easier as the pairs are the same
color, with one of the two wires being striped.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

tells us, as edited:[i]
can't seem to find a wiring scheme for [ethernet].

As John Weeks suggested, there are two wiring standards for Ethernet.
They are not interchangable. Pick one and stick to it throughout the
house. Then write it down somewhere obvious for when you add a jack in
five years (or when you sell the place and someone else has to make
sense of your wiring).

The two standards are T-568A and T-568B. Good pictures at:
http://www.cablesplususa.com/rj45-utp-guide.htm

Choosing between 568A and 568B matters a great deal to a lot of
people, but probably not you. (It matters a lot if you're maintaining
backward compatibility or bidding on a federal contract. It matters
not a lot if you're just wiring your home.) I use 568A because the
quarter landed heads.
--
"In effect, I could be replaced, without loss, by a potted plant."
- Warren Buffett, letter to Berkshire Hathaway shareholders, 2/27/04

(My entry: "2004 Most Distorted Out-of-Context Comment")