Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents
D. Gerasimatos

Default HOAs - your opinions?

In article .com,
wrote:
"I think you are overestimating how many would-be buyers really care
about what color the
house 2 blocks over (or even next door) is. A nice, well-maintained
house
is a nice, well-maintained house whether it is green, blue, beige,
pink,
orange, or purple. "

And I think you are choosing to conveniently focus on house color and
refer to the houses as "well-maintained."

It helps to focus on the most eggregious examples of stupidity. There is
absolutely no reason to be concerned about the color of a house unless
perhaps it is an historic neighborhood. Yet, for some reason, HOAs
often want to regulate house colors.

Dimitri

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents
Percival P. Cassidy

On 12/22/05 03:34 pm D. Gerasimatos wrote:

"I think you are overestimating how many would-be buyers really care
about what color the
house 2 blocks over (or even next door) is. A nice, well-maintained
house
is a nice, well-maintained house whether it is green, blue, beige,
pink,
orange, or purple. "

And I think you are choosing to conveniently focus on house color and
refer to the houses as "well-maintained."

It helps to focus on the most eggregious examples of stupidity. There is
absolutely no reason to be concerned about the color of a house unless
perhaps it is an historic neighborhood. Yet, for some reason, HOAs
often want to regulate house colors.

I read of a case where a bomeowner repainted the outside of his house
using the same color paint used by the original builder. But since the
other houses had faded paint, the newly painted one was the standout,
and the HOA got after the owner for this.

Perce
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents
D. Gerasimatos

In article , Todd H. wrote:
(D. Gerasimatos) writes:
In article . com,
wrote:

Interesting position. So, a municipality can set limits on parking
RV's, trucks, lawn ornaments, house color, or whatever else they
choose, then it's OK? But if a HOA is set up for a neighborhood with
the same intention, then it's not?

HOAs charge you for the privilege.

Don't kid yourself -- so does your municipality. Unless you've found
a way around paying property tax.

In an area with HOAs you get to pay the HOA fees *plus* the property tax.

Dimitri

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents
Todd H.

(D. Gerasimatos) writes:

In article , Todd H. wrote:
(D. Gerasimatos) writes:
In article . com,
wrote:

Interesting position. So, a municipality can set limits on parking
RV's, trucks, lawn ornaments, house color, or whatever else they
choose, then it's OK? But if a HOA is set up for a neighborhood with
the same intention, then it's not?

HOAs charge you for the privilege.

Don't kid yourself -- so does your municipality. Unless you've found
a way around paying property tax.

In an area with HOAs you get to pay the HOA fees *plus* the property
tax.

That's right.

But...consider the possibility that when the subdivision was built and
several "mini-parks" if you will ("common areas" in HOA parlance), and
the snow removal for the area is taken care of by the HOA. This is
the case in one subdivision around here (probably several actually).
Yearly fees are pretty modest, like $90.

That's money the municipality doesn't have to spend providing these
services. And hence, the less budgetary pressure on the municipality
in providing those services. Which means less pressure to increase
taxes and need to extract money from that subdivision to cover that.
And depending on how taxing is legislated and line items broken out in
your county... consider that the fees one pays in that taxing
district's HOA is offset by a tax savings vs. if the HOA weren't
providing those services.

Again, like every facet discussed within this thread, whether any of
these generalizations are actually true is strongly dependent on the
individual HOA and municipality's intersection of services, laws, and
circumstances. It's hard to know of course, cus taxing and
districting's granularity on this varies all over the place.

There is a place of HOA's. They're not all evil and completely useless.
There is a place for non-HOA neighborhoods too because HOA's do have
their drawbacks, and there are plenty of worthless ones out there.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents

"87. shinypenny
Dec 22, 5:06 pm show options

With municipalities, you vote someone into office, and then the routine

decisions get made without taking it to another vote every single time.

If you don't like the decisions that were made, you can vote the person

out of office.

In a HOA, you can't vote them out of their home and out of the
neighborhood forever. You can, however, make their life so miserable
they decide to sell and move. Which means lots of petty battles,
feuding hostile neighbors, and energies that could be spent elsewhere.
While nothing ever gets decided, and the whole neighborhood goes to pot

anyway. "

This is one mixed up and totally wrong analogy. In a HOA, you most
certainly can vote the board and/or officers out of office. Every HOA
I've seen, the members of the board are elected for a term, exactly
like a municipality. Plus, most have procedures for taking out
officers, board members, etc. In fact, the procedure for removal from
most HOA is a lot easier than trying to remove a municipal official.
These kinds of comments make me wonder how much real experience or
common sense some of you have.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents

"In an area with HOAs you get to pay the HOA fees *plus* the property
tax.

Dimitri "

Well, whoopee! And what does that have to do with anything? You
claimed previously that the fact that HOA make you pay somehow makes
them different. Someone pointed out to you that municipalities make
you pay too, and a whole lot more, through property tax. And everyone
knows they are for different things. A HOA fee may include a pool or
landscape maintenance. A municipality pays for roads, fire dept,
police, etc.

So, what exactly is your point?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents
D. Gerasimatos

In article .com,
wrote:

Well, whoopee! And what does that have to do with anything? You
claimed previously that the fact that HOA make you pay somehow makes
them different. Someone pointed out to you that municipalities make
you pay too, and a whole lot more, through property tax. And everyone
knows they are for different things. A HOA fee may include a pool or
landscape maintenance. A municipality pays for roads, fire dept,
police, etc.

So, what exactly is your point?

The point here is that an HOA charges fees to do many of the same things
that municipalities are already paid to worry about. There isn't much
value-added unless you think legislating house color is worthwhile. Yes,
sometimes there are common areas paid for by HOAs and that's often an
advantage to living in an HOA if you enjoy a particular amenity (pool,
horse trail, golf course). Of course, you pay for it even if you never use
it. My family lived in a few developments with an HOA and often when I went
to use the community pool I was the only person there - and these were in
the warm climes of Arizona and San Diego. A lot of people weren't getting
their money's worth, which was great for my family, but bad for a lot of
others.

Dimitri

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents

HOAs - your opinions?

Good place for control freaks and busybodies with too much time on
their hands to work out their frustrations on the minority faction.
Generally run by old divorcee bitches who can't attract a man anymore
and short men who had their lunch money stolen when they were kids in
school. Great for people that like to mind other peoples' business.
Hell for people who like freedom and want to live a normal life.-Jitney

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents

1. AS A PURCHASER OF PROPERTY IN THIS COMMUNITY, YOU WILL BE OBLIGATED

TO BE A MEMBER OF A HOMEOWNERS' ASSOCIATION.(snip)

13th Amendment, U.S. Constitution, Section 1:

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for
crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist
within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents

"JerryL" in
:

Did it ever occur to you that there is zero building in San Francisco
so the existing homes are priced so high?

zero building? not true. but i haven't noticed too many brightly colored houses either. i'd
like to see the silver one.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents

"Robert Hallsey" in
news.com:

Besides, prices are high because San Francisco is a desirable place to
live

hey keep that quiet..
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents

"Percival P. Cassidy" in
:

We bought a house and deliberately avoided anything in a "planned
development" and/or with an HOA. Several of our neighbors have boats
or motorhomes parked in their driveways or alongside their houses.
Down the block somebody parks a "commercial vehicle" (namely, a van
proclaiming itself to belong to somebody or other's office-cleaning
service) in his driveway most of the day. The people across the street
have three vehicles parked in their driveway most of the time because
their triple garage is occupied by other vehicles and other items that
they are gradually trying to unload. On the corner lot during daylight
hours in fine weather are a bunch of reconditionaed lawn mowers for
sale. Many houses have roof- or chimney-mounted TV antennas. In each
direction there is a house with a tower supporting an amateur radio or
CB antenna. All of these would no doubt incur the wrath of the HOA
Gestapo if we had an HOA, but thankfully we don't: this is a nice
neighborhood that does not remind me of Pete Seeger's "little boxes
all made of ticky-tacky, and they all look just the same," and we all
get along.

Perce

hobby airplane in the garage. etc.

people who want to live on their property. those people have such nerve.

as long as it isn't more dangerous, biohazard, toxic , flammable (than "normal" homes!)

noise http://www.google.com/search?q=conce...eighbors+Scher

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents

(Charles H. Buchholtz) in
:

Prices went up, and the starving artists had to move out.

Venice Beach
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents

"P. Thompson" in
ocaldomain:

Well, I have sold a house. With a rental on one side

scary :-)

and with a
model-T sized single car detached garage with a four foot driveway and
a busybody

that's a real problem, and no purple paint will give that away.

with wacked-out landscaping

wakked out? i'm curious.

on the other side and made a
fine profit.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents

"Percival P. Cassidy" in :

I read of a case where a bomeowner repainted the outside of his house
using the same color paint used by the original builder. But since the
other houses had faded paint, the newly painted one was the standout,
and the HOA got after the owner for this.

after a few paintjobs, all of the houses will be white. :-)

if you replace your driveway,it has to be pre-greyed?
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Many houses have roof- or chimney-mounted TV antennas.

Federal law prohibits any restrictions on OTA TV antennas, microwave TV antennas
or satellite antennas less than 1 meter in diameter. The HOA cannot prohibit
these.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents
Tomes

"Todd H." wrote in message ...
However, the market does need buyers like you. I have friends trying
to sell their house that's aobut 100 yards from high voltage right of
way. Like you, they were quite accepting and "dosn't bother us" when
they bought their place brand new. Now it's 5 years later, they have
a growing family and want to move, but cannot... their house has been
on the market 9 months, they're learning that perhaps they should've
considered the whims of pickier buyers before pulling the trigger.

That was one of my top criteria when looking for the houses I have bought.
I would never buy a house where I can see power lines like that, much less
within 100 yards and possibly be affected by electromagnetic fields. Makes
me cringe to just think about it. I see many houses built right near these
and am constantly amazed that they sell these to anyone.
Tomes

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents
KLS

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 12:44:43 +0000 (UTC), "
wrote:

(D. Gerasimatos) in
:

I see a purple house and go "Wow, that person must really like purple."
I wouldn't paint my house purple, but there are some purple houses in
my neighborhood. What's the big deal about it? In fact, even though I
think it isn't attractive my girlfriend just loves one of them. Different
strokes for different folks. It's just paint. If the house I want to buy
is purple then I'll paint it. If the house next door is purple then what
do I care? It's not my house.

so if you want to attract girlfriends, move *near* a purple house?

He doesn't need to, he's already got a girlfriend.

Finish Nailer opinions?? Ol' Texan Woodworking 5 January 17th 05 10:42 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Buying a new press brake, opinions? KMC Metalworking 2 August 3rd 04 07:02 PM
Wagner Contractor sprayers opinions Dave Home Repair 2 July 1st 04 11:20 PM
Opinions on computer home design software Jeff Home Repair 0 January 16th 04 03:27 AM