Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

David Zeit

Default Appliances opinions requested

x-no-archive: yes

Suppose you were going to replace a washer and dryer, stove,
refrigerator, portable dishwasher and microwave oven.......what brand
would you go with? Why? All are electric.

If you have bought a particular brand in the past year would you by it
again? Why?

Hate to do it but the 20+ year old, 25 on the Toshiba microwave,
appliances are showing signs of age.

I'm told only Maytag appliances with "dependable care" on the face plate
are real Maytag appliances. And dealers are high on Whirlpool for all
appliances. And we have dug out past issues of Consumer Reports.
BUT...........we are interested in real people's real life experiences
with these appliances. So here's you chance to say what a great choice
you made or to complain about a product and help a fellow consumer.

Please reply to the NG and no e-mails. Thanks.

Rick F.

In article , David Zeit wrote:
x-no-archive: yes

Suppose you were going to replace a washer and dryer, stove,
refrigerator, portable dishwasher and microwave oven.......what brand
would you go with? Why? All are electric.

If you have bought a particular brand in the past year would you by it
again? Why?

Hate to do it but the 20+ year old, 25 on the Toshiba microwave,
appliances are showing signs of age.

I'm told only Maytag appliances with "dependable care" on the face plate
are real Maytag appliances. And dealers are high on Whirlpool for all
appliances. And we have dug out past issues of Consumer Reports.
BUT...........we are interested in real people's real life experiences
with these appliances. So here's you chance to say what a great choice
you made or to complain about a product and help a fellow consumer.

Let's see.. We've got a Miele dishwasher we bought a bit over a year ago
and absolutely love it for several reasons -- 3 racks, built-in water softener,
QUIET, QUIET, QUIET.. For washers & dryers, I'd run far far away from
Maytag.. Everone I know that has one needs 1+ repairs per YEAR as Maytag's
quality is down in the toilet.. We've got a pair of LG washer + Dryer and
love them. They're front loading and work great compaired to their old
Maytag replacements.

I can't speak for the other appliances you mention..

Todd H.

David Zeit writes:
Suppose you were going to replace a washer and dryer, stove,
refrigerator, portable dishwasher and microwave oven.......what brand
would you go with? Why? All are electric.

I'd get to the library and look into the latest issue of Consumer
Reports that did a report on the appliance class in question and buy
accordingly.

For washer/dryer about 4 years ago, that steered me to a Kenmore 70
Series which has been a joy and a great bang for the buck.

Consumer's Union accepts no advertising and does independent testing
and has done so for years. They're not steered me wrong once.

Car and electronics experts though, question their conclusions on auto
and audio items from time to time, but for appliances, I have no
datapoints questioning their credibility on these recommendations.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
WhoIsIt

avid Zeit wrote:
[...]

FWIW:

My Sears Kenmore electric dryer is 24 years old- replaced the heating
element twice and the timer once. But it's still on the original belt
and rollers.

Kenmore washer is 10 or 15 years old, Kenmore fridge is 5 years old,
Maytag dishwasher is 4 years old- all no problems.

Whirlpool double oven electric stove is 28 years old- it all works, no
problems in the 5 years I've lived with it.

Sharp microwave lasted about 1.5 years till the display started to go.
It cooked fine but setting it was a bit of a crapshoot.

WhoIsIt wrote:
FWIW:

My Sears Kenmore electric dryer is 24 years old- replaced the heating
element twice and the timer once. But it's still on the original belt
and rollers.

Kenmore washer is 10 or 15 years old, Kenmore fridge is 5 years old,

Kenmore is just a brand. The appliances are actually made by an appliance
manufacturer (GE, Amana, LG, Samsung, Maytag, Whirlpool, Roper, etc) to
Sears' specifications.

Murray Peterson

David Zeit wrote in
:

Suppose you were going to replace a washer and dryer, stove,
refrigerator, portable dishwasher and microwave oven.......

Just did that (new house, all appliances sold with previous house)

what brand would you go with? Why? All are electric.

Dishwasher -- Bosch (like the Miele, quiet, quiet, quiet). Love it
Fridge -- Kenmore (Sears floor model, $1800 price reduction).
Stove -- Frigidaire (looked nice, low cost smooth-top slide-in unit) OK
Microwave -- Panasonic (liked the controls and sensor features)
Washer/Dryer -- Kenmore units recommended by Consumer reports. Very good
units, and they do our clothes much faster than the old units. Front
loaders really do save you energy.

If you have bought a particular brand in the past year would you by it
again? Why?

Bosch dishwasher -- this is our second one, and we wouldn't have anything
else (except perhaps a Miele).

For smooth top cooktops, look for one that has a halogen "burner". Those
things heat up *fast*.

I agree that its worthwhile looking into Consumer Reports ~but also
evaluating what they say. Not everything they find may be relevant for
your case. Generally though I have been pleased with their
recommendations. I have also referred to Epinions.com especially when
you have a particular question or product to look at.
Recently it does seem that Kenmore appliances are at or near the top of
most lists. And I agree that Maytag and Kitchenaid have fallen from
where they used to be.

Lila Godel

David Zeit wrote:
x-no-archive: yes

Suppose you were going to replace a washer and dryer, stove,
refrigerator, portable dishwasher and microwave oven.......what brand
would you go with? Why? All are electric.

If you have bought a particular brand in the past year would you by it
again? Why?

I would have to say Kenmore for the washer and dryer. When we moved
into our Decatur, GA house in August of 1983 my parents brought with
them the Kenmore washer (top loader) and dryer they had gotten sometime
in the 1970's. In February 2004 the washer agitator quit moving and a
new Kenmore washer (top loader) was acquired as the repair estimate for
the old one was around $300. One month later the dryer stopped drying
and a new Kenmore dryer was acquired.

When we moved out of the house on January 7, 2005 the new units which
the buyer insisted on having were still working. At our new house in
Knoxville, TN we have similar models that are working great.

Also you did not mention small appliance, however is worth noting that
KitchenAid might be a good choice for a stand mixer. When my mom was
making cookies shortly after her 1972 marriage the mixer she had bought
before the marriage short circuited. The replacement KitchenAid (6
quart bowl) is still in use today and as far as I know as never been
serviced.

Baumatic appliances - any opinions? newman UK diy 12 May 20th 05 09:26 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Vinyl Siding on A House Opinions Requested, Please Robert11 Home Ownership 0 August 22nd 04 10:24 PM
kitchen appliances - electrics advice Pete UK diy 1 July 30th 04 06:16 PM
Refi Opinions Requested JLC Home Ownership 2 July 13th 04 10:31 PM