Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Billy

Default Ocala Real Estate

I'm looking for Land in the Florida area. I was told by a friend who bought
and sold land and made double his money in Pt. St Lucie that Ocala was a
good investment too. However, I'm looking to buy land to hold, then build on
in the next 5 years for a vacation home. Ocala sounds like a place I'd like
to be. So, I go out to the realtor.com and new home websites and find land
for $15,000 to $40,000. What's the deal here? It sounds too cheap to be real
in today's hot market. What could the "strings attached" be here?

Rich Greenberg

In article ,
Billy wrote:
I'm looking for Land in the Florida area. I was told by a friend who bought
and sold land and made double his money in Pt. St Lucie that Ocala was a
good investment too. However, I'm looking to buy land to hold, then build on
in the next 5 years for a vacation home. Ocala sounds like a place I'd like
to be. So, I go out to the realtor.com and new home websites and find land
for $15,000 to $40,000. What's the deal here? It sounds too cheap to be real
in today's hot market. What could the "strings attached" be here?

Its under water at high tine.

Rich Greenberg

In article ,
Rich Greenberg wrote:
In article ,
Billy wrote:
I'm looking for Land in the Florida area. I was told by a friend who bought
and sold land and made double his money in Pt. St Lucie that Ocala was a
good investment too. However, I'm looking to buy land to hold, then build on
in the next 5 years for a vacation home. Ocala sounds like a place I'd like
to be. So, I go out to the realtor.com and new home websites and find land
for $15,000 to $40,000. What's the deal here? It sounds too cheap to be real
in today's hot market. What could the "strings attached" be here?

Its under water at high tine.

Tide, not tine. Sorry.

Rich Greenberg

In article ,
Billy wrote:
I'm looking for Land in the Florida area. I was told by a friend who bought
and sold land and made double his money in Pt. St Lucie that Ocala was a
good investment too. However, I'm looking to buy land to hold, then build on
in the next 5 years for a vacation home. Ocala sounds like a place I'd like
to be. So, I go out to the realtor.com and new home websites and find land
for $15,000 to $40,000. What's the deal here? It sounds too cheap to be real
in today's hot market. What could the "strings attached" be here?

Its under water at high tide.

Billy

But's it's in the center of the state?

"Rich Greenberg" wrote in message

--
Rich Greenberg Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321
6507

Donna

"Billy" wrote in message
I'm looking for Land in the Florida area. I was told by a friend who
bought and sold land and made double his money in Pt. St Lucie that Ocala
was a good investment too. However, I'm looking to buy land to hold, then
build on in the next 5 years for a vacation home. Ocala sounds like a
place I'd like to be. So, I go out to the realtor.com and new home
websites and find land for $15,000 to $40,000. What's the deal here? It
sounds too cheap to be real in today's hot market. What could the "strings
attached" be here?

Ocala is a nice enough town, but it's not a garden spot. It's fairly rural,
in the middle of the state. Probably you're looking at a piece of
farmland.

Florida isn't a bad place to invest -- lots of places are being built up.
Ocala will probably be one of them... eventually.

donna

Doug Miller

In article rEOGe.1443$2y2.979@trndny02, "Donna" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
I'm looking for Land in the Florida area. I was told by a friend who
bought and sold land and made double his money in Pt. St Lucie that Ocala
was a good investment too. However, I'm looking to buy land to hold, then
build on in the next 5 years for a vacation home. Ocala sounds like a
place I'd like to be. So, I go out to the realtor.com and new home
websites and find land for $15,000 to $40,000. What's the deal here? It
sounds too cheap to be real in today's hot market. What could the "strings
attached" be here?

Ocala is a nice enough town, but it's not a garden spot. It's fairly rural,
in the middle of the state. Probably you're looking at a piece of
farmland.

More likely, *swamp* land. :-)

--
Regards,

Bishoop

wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
I'm looking for Land in the Florida area. I was told by a friend who
bought and sold land and made double his money in Pt. St Lucie that
Ocala
was a good investment too. However, I'm looking to buy land to hold,
then
build on in the next 5 years for a vacation home. Ocala sounds like a
place I'd like to be. So, I go out to the realtor.com and new home
websites and find land for $15,000 to $40,000. What's the deal here? It
sounds too cheap to be real in today's hot market. What could the
"strings
attached" be here?

Ocala is a nice enough town, but it's not a garden spot. It's fairly
rural,
in the middle of the state. Probably you're looking at a piece of
farmland.

More likely, *swamp* land. :-)

I live about 20 miles from the downtown Ocala. Yes, the area is rural lots
of thoroughbred horse farms with some of the most beautiful grounds you'd
care to see.

Swamp land, NO.....

Donna

"Billy" wrote in message
Are you speculating, or sure of this?

I don't think Ocala is swampland, Billy. It's rural, mostly, although
downtown Ocala is a fairly standard small city. If you are looking for
pastureland, farmland, etc, it is a very nice place. It's also where
everyone flees to every hurricane season. Well, Ocala and Lakeland.
It's half way between Tampa and Gainesville, if I recall correctly.

Part of me hopes it doesn't get developed. There are very few places that
are this quiet left.

Why don't you go see it?

Donna

Billy

Yes, I plan to visit but what I'm looking for is vacation land/property away
from home, yet away from the crowd, which is what this sounds like. I did
read about flooding near a lake in Ocala, where peoples property actually
were up to their ankles in water and fish swimming in the area. It's at
ocala.com. I assume this was just a small area that sits near water.

"Donna" wrote in message

"Billy" wrote in message
Are you speculating, or sure of this?

I don't think Ocala is swampland, Billy. It's rural, mostly, although
downtown Ocala is a fairly standard small city. If you are looking for
pastureland, farmland, etc, it is a very nice place. It's also where
everyone flees to every hurricane season. Well, Ocala and Lakeland.
It's half way between Tampa and Gainesville, if I recall correctly.

Part of me hopes it doesn't get developed. There are very few places that
are this quiet left.

Why don't you go see it?

Donna

Billy

What is the situation with flooding in he Salt Springs areas that can be
found in the link below? Can you recommend areas that land is relatively
inexpensive and free of flooding and/or connect me with any reputable local
realtors in the Ocala area?

http://www.ocala.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...73215845159401

wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

Donna

"Billy" wrote in message
What is the situation with flooding in he Salt Springs areas that can be
found in the link below? Can you recommend areas that land is relatively
inexpensive and free of flooding and/or connect me with any reputable
local realtors in the Ocala area?

Billy, the flooding, according to the story in the link you posted, was from
the hurricanes last year. There really isn't any part of Florida that is
going to be hurricane/flood *proof*. Some places can generally be relied
on to be drier than others -- Ocala is pretty far inland, so flooding is
going to be rare. Then again, we weathered all of the hurricanes, at 7
feet above sea level, one block from the Bay in Tampa, and our house stayed
dry. Dry ish, anyway. You never know. Inland is a good bet that you
won't flood often, however.

If you're going to live in a hurricane zone, do what you can during the site
selection process, if you want to minimize your hurricane problems. Buy
inland, buy away from large bodies of water, get a decent generator, don't
buy a manufactured home, and then purchase good homeowners, wind and flood
insurance policies anyway.

As for realtors, why not do some online searches for available properties,
and contact one of the realtors listed on a property you want to visit in
person? They all have access to the same listings, mostly. I think you
can look up available properties on the MLS online, actually. When we
moved, that was what we did.

Best wishes,

Donna

JerryL

"Donna" wrote in message

good homeowners, wind and flood insurance policies anyway.

As for realtors, why not do some online searches for available properties,
and contact one of the realtors listed on a property you want to visit in
person? They all have access to the same listings, mostly. I think you
can look up available properties on the MLS online, actually. When we
moved, that was what we did.

Best wishes,

Donna

Down here in Boynton Beach Ocala is blasting with TV ads selling land.
Twenty acres from $195K and one hundred acres from $400K. Not cheap anymore
for prime land in Ocala.

Jessie B

Here is a "For Sale by Owner" site that has property listings in Ocala
and other area...
http://www.forsalebyownercenter.com/...-pricea-0.aspx

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:37:35 -0400, someone wrote:

But's it's in the center of the state?

Its under water at high tide.

It was a VERY high tide.

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:57:59 -0400, someone wrote:

Are you speculating, or sure of this?

Are YOU speculating, or sure of this???

What an idiot. OF COUSE nobody here has seen this land. Apparently,
NEITHER HAVE YOU.

You wanna buy land? GO LOOK AT IT rather than asking here.