Electronics (alt.electronics)

TJ Hertz

Default 100V appliance on 110v power supply

I've got a Japanese-bought AKAI S1000 sampler that says "100v AC" on the
back. I live in the UK, where the power supply is 240V or thereabouts. Can I
use a 110V transformer, or does it need to be strictly 100V?

Thanks,

--
tj hertz

Phil Allison

"TJ Hertz"

I've got a Japanese-bought AKAI S1000 sampler that says "100v AC" on the
back. I live in the UK, where the power supply is 240V or thereabouts. Can
use a 110V transformer, or does it need to be strictly 100V?

** Only by taking the item to an audio service shop and having them run
tests ( using a " variac" and AC current meter) will you find out your
answer.

I often do this for customers so they know the right size and type of
step-down to use.

.......... Phil

TimPerry

"TJ Hertz" wrote in message
news
I've got a Japanese-bought AKAI S1000 sampler that says "100v AC" on the
back. I live in the UK, where the power supply is 240V or thereabouts. Can

use a 110V transformer, or does it need to be strictly 100V?

Thanks,

--
tj hertz

It probably needs to be 100V. assuming it uses +/- 15Vdc internally the
10% or so may make the regulators run hot and therefore have shortened
life.

You can find the manual here http://www.vintagesynth.com/index2.html

Its possible that the internal transformer can be required for your voltage.
If not a buck/boost transformer in addition to the 240 to 120 step down
transformer will be needed.

An autotransformer would also work but i would not recomend it for the
average user as it would be too easy for it to get misadjusted and
consiquently blow up your vintage gear.

Richard Crowley

"TJ Hertz" wrote ...
I've got a Japanese-bought AKAI S1000 sampler that says
"100v AC" on the back. I live in the UK, where the power
supply is 240V or thereabouts. Can I use a 110V transformer,
or does it need to be strictly 100V?

I wouldn't risk 110V. So get a 10-12V transformer and hook it up
to "buck" part of the 110V to reduce it to ~100V.
Ben Bradley

In rec.audio.pro, alt.electronics and alt.engineering.electrical, On
Tue, 31 May 2005 02:21:23 GMT, "TJ Hertz"
wrote:

I've got a Japanese-bought AKAI S1000 sampler that says "100v AC" on the
back. I live in the UK, where the power supply is 240V or thereabouts. Can I
use a 110V transformer, or does it need to be strictly 100V?

As others answered, as-is it's best to put a 'nominal' 100V into
it. But open it up (or look on the back panel, even), see if there are
any switches or plugs around the transformer. There might be two, one
to switch between 100V or 120V, the other for (100-120V) or
(200-240V). It could be as easy as moving a plug around to make it
work on a 'nominal' USA 120V line voltage.

I looked at the manual, found he
http://www.akaipro.com/archives.html
direct link if you're really lazy:
http://www.akaipro.com/archive_doc/S1000Manual.zip
and didn't see anything about a 100V option. It says:
120VAC, 60Hz (USA, Canada)
220VAC, 50Hz (Europe, except UK)
240VAC, 50OHz (UK, Australia)
but never says how to switch between them, or if it's possible or
neccesary.
I also have no clue whether this is a switching or a linear supply,
though a knowledgable person could tell which it is with about three
seconds of looking at the innards. This can make a difference in how
and whether it can be (or even needs to be) switched.

Thanks,

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

TJ Hertz

Richard Crowley wrote:
"TJ Hertz" wrote ...
I've got a Japanese-bought AKAI S1000 sampler that says
"100v AC" on the back. I live in the UK, where the power
supply is 240V or thereabouts. Can I use a 110V transformer,
or does it need to be strictly 100V?

I wouldn't risk 110V. So get a 10-12V transformer and hook it up
to "buck" part of the 110V to reduce it to ~100V.

Can you explain this in more detail? Thanks.

--
tj hertz

Palindr˜»me

TJ Hertz wrote:

Richard Crowley wrote:

"TJ Hertz" wrote ...

I've got a Japanese-bought AKAI S1000 sampler that says
"100v AC" on the back. I live in the UK, where the power
supply is 240V or thereabouts. Can I use a 110V transformer,
or does it need to be strictly 100V?

I wouldn't risk 110V. So get a 10-12V transformer and hook it up
to "buck" part of the 110V to reduce it to ~100V.

Can you explain this in more detail? Thanks.

Usual warnings about this is mains and can easily kill.
Usual warnings about getting it wrong can cause a fire and
burn the house down. Usual warnings about not doing it
unless you are a professional. Usual warnings about, at the
very least, getting this wrong could destroy the equipment
you are actually worrying about. Usual warnings about, if
you have to ask what a "buck" or "boost" circuit is, you
quite possibly don't have the knowledge and experience to be
attempting this for the first time - especially on anything
that you value.

In theory:

You get a mains to 10 or 12 volt transformer and connect its
primary across the mains - thus producing 10 or 12 volts ac
from the secondary. You get a mains to 110 volt transformer
and connect its primary across the mains - thus producing
110 volts ac on its secondary. So the primaries are in
parallel across the supply.

Then you connect the secondaries in series, thus:

You then take a wire from the 110 volts secondary terminal
and connect it to one terminal of the 10/12 volts secondary.
Measure the voltage between the remaining unused secondary
terminals (one unused on each transformer secondary). If the
voltage is 100 volts - then those are the terminals that you
take power off for the load. If the voltage is too high
(higher than either secondary on its own), move the link
wire to ther other terminal on the 10/12 volt secondary and
repeat. Bingo, it should have dropped and you should have
100 volts now.

Basically, one secondary winding is made to be out of phase
with the other and thus cancels out some of the voltage
produced by it.

One variant of the technique is to connect the secondary of
the second transformer in series with the primary of the
first. There are other variants.

However, it all gets a little more complicated than that in
practice. Picking the right transformers is the key -
particularly as small transformers typically have terrible
regulation and their output voltages can vary widely with
load. Thus, while the output voltage may look fine off load
- it can change substantially when load is applied.

For many bits of equipment, too low a supply voltage can be
as bad as too high.

Personally, if I was concerned that the voltage was out of
specification for the equipment, I would use a variac and
set the voltage precisely, whilst on load. You can get
little variacs cheaply enough - try ebay, for example, that
is where I have got several of mine. Once set, fix the
adjusting knob in place - if it gets accidently moved you
would be in the doo doo. You can buy them bare or in an
enclosure with fitted mains lead and output socket - the
latter may be what you are looking for..

--
HTH

Sue

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

The extension for japanese websites is .co.jp , and most products made for
japanese market aren't probably even listed in international sites.Even if
TJ does it with the voltage, there's still the problem with the different
mains frequency.Evenmore, I never liked the transformer solution, they are
bulky, poorly constructed and add another ring in the chain so it's
difficult to troubleshoot the appliance.IMHO TJ should buy something from
the UK, that best fits his needs.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
wrote:

[...]

Richard Crowley

"Dimitrios Tzortzakakis" wrote...
The extension for japanese websites is .co.jp , and most
products made for japanese market aren't probably even
listed in international sites.Even if TJ does it with the
voltage, there's still the problem with the different mains
frequency.

Usually only high-power equipment, or older equipment that
uses synchronous motors is mains-frequency sensitive. This
classic synth seems like it would not fit into either category.

Evenmore, I never liked the transformer solution, they are
bulky, poorly constructed and add another ring in the chain
so it's difficult to troubleshoot the appliance.

No question that transformers are all that.

IMHO TJ should buy something from the UK, that best fits
his needs.

Seems unlikely that anyone could find a classic (which I took
to mean long out of production) Japanese synth wired for UK
power.
Phil Allison

"Dimitrios Tzortzakakis"

The extension for japanese websites is .co.jp , and most products made for
japanese market aren't probably even listed in international sites.Even if
TJ does it with the voltage, there's still the problem with the different
mains frequency.

** Japan has both 50Hz and 60 Hz AC power, see:

http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

As a result, appliances made for their local market normally have
transformers made to cope with 50 Hz.

As a rule, even Japanese gear sold into the USA is OK on 50 Hz power, it is
only US and Canadian made gear sold for local use where the transformers are
sized purely for 60 Hz.

............. Phil

Phil Allison

"Richard Crowley"

Usually only high-power equipment, or older equipment that
uses synchronous motors is mains-frequency sensitive. This
classic synth seems like it would not fit into either category.

** Err - what is your idea of "high-power" ??

I regularly see AC transformers that run at an unsafe high temp because of
being used on 50 Hz power - when they were originally engineered for 60
Hz. The VA ratings involved are anywhere from 5 VA upwards.

Where low temp grades of enamel wire ( ie 90C) have been used - burn out
failures are a common event too.

Seems unlikely that anyone could find a classic (which I took
to mean long out of production) Japanese synth wired for UK power.

** Huh ????

So you think that Akai never sold export models of a "classic" synth into
the UK, Europe and Aussie ??

............. Phil

Steve Urbach

wrote:

I've got a Japanese-bought AKAI S1000 sampler that says "100v AC" on the
back. I live in the UK, where the power supply is 240V or thereabouts. Can I
use a 110V transformer, or does it need to be strictly 100V?

Thanks,

You may have 2 problems:

1) Japan is 60Hz, UK is 50 Hz. Mains transformers and motors need
more iron for 50Hz and may overheat without it.

2) 240 to 100V Voltage, It may be simpler to go the 240V @ 50Hz to
12VDC and run a 60Hz inverter designed for Japans 100V.
, _
, | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
, | )erek No JUNK in my email please
, ____|_/ragonsclaw
, / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped?
http://www.grid.org
Phil Allison

"Steve Urbach"
"TJ Hertz"

I've got a Japanese-bought AKAI S1000 sampler that says "100v AC" on the
back. I live in the UK, where the power supply is 240V or thereabouts. Can
use a 110V transformer, or does it need to be strictly 100V?

You may have 2 problems:

1) Japan is 60Hz, UK is 50 Hz. Mains transformers and motors need
more iron for 50Hz and may overheat without it.

** Japan has both 50Hz and 60 Hz AC power, see:

http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

As a result, appliances made for their local market normally have
transformers made to cope with 50 Hz.

2) 240 to 100V Voltage, It may be simpler to go the 240V @ 50Hz to
12VDC and run a 60Hz inverter designed for Japans 100V.

** Insane.

............... Phil

polleke

it will be very high not only the voltage as transformers are often
220/110 it would mean you will have 120 on your transformer.
better is to use a variac this way you can set it on around 80
volts and start it up.
it is not only the voltage but also the frequency change. a small
variac is rather cheap.

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

So, that's a synth?I thought that TJ with "sampler"meant some new japanese,
super high-tech device yet unknown to me.Then definitely, find maybe some
electrician or some kind of expert, that will take the responsibility (very
important point) to make your vintage gear working in UK.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
[...]

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

I understand that, but I think that probably japanese products will have
labels and instructions in japanese, and most companies have an entirely
different brand-name in japanese, than in export models.The problems with
different voltages and frequencies appear in European Union railways.In
Switzerland,Austria and Germany, the catenary system is 15kV, 16 2/3 HZ, and
of course everything, from normal locomotives to the high speed ICE is
designed only for this.In France is 1.5 kV and 3 kV DC, and in Greece we
have now 25 kV 50 Hz, so a German series locomotive would be totally
useless.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

"Dimitrios Tzortzakakis"

The extension for japanese websites is .co.jp , and most products made

for
japanese market aren't probably even listed in international sites.Even

if
TJ does it with the voltage, there's still the problem with the

different
mains frequency.

** Japan has both 50Hz and 60 Hz AC power, see:

http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

As a result, appliances made for their local market normally have
transformers made to cope with 50 Hz.

As a rule, even Japanese gear sold into the USA is OK on 50 Hz power, it

is
only US and Canadian made gear sold for local use where the transformers

are
sized purely for 60 Hz.

............ Phil

Phil Allison

"Dimitrios Tzortzakakis"

I understand that,

** Like ****ing hell you do.

but I think that probably japanese products will have
labels and instructions in japanese, and most companies have an entirely
different brand-name in japanese, than in export models.

** The unit is a local Japanese model ( hence rated for 100 volts) - see
the original post.

The problems with
different voltages and frequencies appear in European Union railways.

** Tres ****ing irrelevant - mate.

............ Phil

[...]

Rich Grise

On Tue, 31 May 2005 02:21:23 +0000, TJ Hertz wrote:

I've got a Japanese-bought AKAI S1000 sampler that says "100v AC" on the
back. I live in the UK, where the power supply is 240V or thereabouts. Can I
use a 110V transformer, or does it need to be strictly 100V?

As you've probably noticed by now, there's lots of noise on USENET.

If you can get a UK/100V transformer, do that, unless the AKAI is switch-
or jumper-selectable for different mains - I noticed that the manual does
mention UK wiring, but it was about taking care that it's earthed properly
and that hot and neutral are wired properly - this suggests to me that
there is either a jumper plug, a switch, or a terminal board to select
mains voltage. If so, then clearly this is the way to go.

If there isn't a switch or jumper plug on the back panel, and you're
not afraid to open up the case, take a look. It might be glaringly
obvious what you need to do, but if you see no options whatever, then
use the transformer. If it looks like there are options for different
solder connections, you might be able to figure it out, if you're handy
with a soldering iron. If you aren't confident of your electronics
skills, the wisest course of action (unless you can get a proper 240/100V
transformer for less than, say, UKP35-50) your safest option is to take it
to a qualified service person - they could do the switchover in a matter
of minutes, if it can be switched over. Failing that, the transformer
is the only option.

I'm hesitant to recommend a buck arrangement, unless you're confident
that you know what you're doing, but if it isn't switchable, and you
already have the 110V transformer, then this would be the cheapest.

Good Luck!
Rich