Ben Bradley

In rec.audio.pro, alt.electronics and alt.engineering.electrical, On
Tue, 31 May 2005 02:21:23 GMT, "TJ Hertz"
wrote:

I've got a Japanese-bought AKAI S1000 sampler that says "100v AC" on the
back. I live in the UK, where the power supply is 240V or thereabouts. Can I
use a 110V transformer, or does it need to be strictly 100V?

As others answered, as-is it's best to put a 'nominal' 100V into
it. But open it up (or look on the back panel, even), see if there are
any switches or plugs around the transformer. There might be two, one
to switch between 100V or 120V, the other for (100-120V) or
(200-240V). It could be as easy as moving a plug around to make it
work on a 'nominal' USA 120V line voltage.

I looked at the manual, found he
http://www.akaipro.com/archives.html
direct link if you're really lazy:
http://www.akaipro.com/archive_doc/S1000Manual.zip
and didn't see anything about a 100V option. It says:
120VAC, 60Hz (USA, Canada)
220VAC, 50Hz (Europe, except UK)
240VAC, 50OHz (UK, Australia)
but never says how to switch between them, or if it's possible or
neccesary.
I also have no clue whether this is a switching or a linear supply,
though a knowledgable person could tell which it is with about three
seconds of looking at the innards. This can make a difference in how
and whether it can be (or even needs to be) switched.

Thanks,

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley