Billa

Default Li-Ion charger

first please forgive me if this is out of topic
Sice I lost the original cable I'm trying to find instruction to build
a charger for my digital-camera battery.
It's a DPS-9000 digipower 7,2 Volts ?mAh Li-Ion

I have to find specification/drawings/suggestions to build a device
that will charge properly my battery without making it explode, using
a 15.0 volts dc 800 mAh as input (one of the two components of the
switching power supply has this output, and I've lost the second
component!!)

I hope to find suggestions (any kind) in this newsgroup!

tnx
Jerry G.

These batteries are a little more sophisticated than a simple charge. First,
you have to know the recommended charge rate for your battery. You will have
to be able to design the charger to properly cut off when the battery is
fully charged, and then be able to go in to a maintaining state for it. You
will also have to know the recommended average current rate to keep the
battery maintained.

As for schematics of these chargers, there are text books around with
examples of them, but you would have to re-design one to work to the proper
specs for the particular battery.

As for building these types of chargers, I found it more feasible to buy the
proper one for the type of battery being used. This is a safer and more
reliable way to do things. An exception would be if you are designing a
charger for an R&D research project to manufacture your own product.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Billa" wrote in message
om...
first please forgive me if this is out of topic
Sice I lost the original cable I'm trying to find instruction to build
a charger for my digital-camera battery.
It's a DPS-9000 digipower 7,2 Volts ?mAh Li-Ion

I have to find specification/drawings/suggestions to build a device
that will charge properly my battery without making it explode, using
a 15.0 volts dc 800 mAh as input (one of the two components of the
switching power supply has this output, and I've lost the second
component!!)

I hope to find suggestions (any kind) in this newsgroup!

tnx

mike

Billa wrote:
first please forgive me if this is out of topic
Sice I lost the original cable I'm trying to find instruction to build
a charger for my digital-camera battery.
It's a DPS-9000 digipower 7,2 Volts ?mAh Li-Ion

I have to find specification/drawings/suggestions to build a device
that will charge properly my battery without making it explode, using
a 15.0 volts dc 800 mAh as input (one of the two components of the
switching power supply has this output, and I've lost the second
component!!)

I hope to find suggestions (any kind) in this newsgroup!

tnx

Don't even try.
If you have to ask the question, you're not gonna be able to do it
safely. And anybody who gave you specific advice would be liable
if/when you set yourself on fire.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html

Jerry G.

I also forgot to mention, that when designing chargers, they have to be made
very reliable for the dedicated battery type. If it goes over current, there
is a chance for the battery to overheat and explode. The dedicated chargers
monitor the temperature of the battery, current flow under charge, and the
voltage of the battery under charge. They adjust exactly to fit to the specs
of the battery. This is especially done for dedicated batteries that are
used in appliances, computers, and in home entertainment equipment.

There are what is known as industrial battery chargers for industrial
batteries. These are usually gel type cells, and fall under a different
approach to their design.

A battery charger must also meet specific safety requirements under the UL,
EU, and CSA regulations. This has to do with the safety of use. If you use a
home made charger at home, or any home made device, and there is an incident
with it, your insurance company may demand an investigation to implement
non-payment of any policies. All devices that you use at home, that operate
from the AC mains, must meet very specific and ridged standards for
performance and mainly safety.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Billa" wrote in message
om...
first please forgive me if this is out of topic
Sice I lost the original cable I'm trying to find instruction to build
a charger for my digital-camera battery.
It's a DPS-9000 digipower 7,2 Volts ?mAh Li-Ion

I have to find specification/drawings/suggestions to build a device
that will charge properly my battery without making it explode, using
a 15.0 volts dc 800 mAh as input (one of the two components of the
switching power supply has this output, and I've lost the second
component!!)

I hope to find suggestions (any kind) in this newsgroup!

tnx

NSM

"Billa" wrote in message
om...
first please forgive me if this is out of topic
Sice I lost the original cable I'm trying to find instruction to build
a charger for my digital-camera battery.
It's a DPS-9000 digipower 7,2 Volts ?mAh Li-Ion

I have to find specification/drawings/suggestions to build a device
that will charge properly my battery without making it explode, using
a 15.0 volts dc 800 mAh as input (one of the two components of the
switching power supply has this output, and I've lost the second
component!!)

I hope to find suggestions (any kind) in this newsgroup!

Sorry you are in Italy. You can buy those on eBay for as little as $5 -
universal LiON charger - but that's a USA price.

none

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:40:38 -0800, mike wrote:

Billa wrote:
first please forgive me if this is out of topic
Sice I lost the original cable I'm trying to find instruction to build
a charger for my digital-camera battery.
It's a DPS-9000 digipower 7,2 Volts ?mAh Li-Ion

I have to find specification/drawings/suggestions to build a device
that will charge properly my battery without making it explode, using
a 15.0 volts dc 800 mAh as input (one of the two components of the
switching power supply has this output, and I've lost the second
component!!)

I hope to find suggestions (any kind) in this newsgroup!

tnx

Don't even try.
If you have to ask the question, you're not gonna be able to do it
safely. And anybody who gave you specific advice would be liable
if/when you set yourself on fire.
mike

Mike is correct, if you don't know what you're doing Li-on batteries
can cause serious harm.(They'll blow up under just about any kind of
abuse, such as being exposed to heat or overcharging. i.e.
overcharging is a definite no-no.)
That said I got tired of my li-on camcorder batteries dieing in
mid-life as well.( the control circuit/brain inside the module that
actually controls the charge rate and output tends to die long before
the Li-on cells themselves die outright.)
I have several DV camcorders that I've successfully adapted Nicads too
to get away from this problem

Exactly what model of camcorder do you have? I'm guesiing that at 7.2v
it's a bit older than the later one's that run on 7.4v.(I have both
types.)
I took all my Canon Zr series DV cams that run on 7.4v modules and
switched them over to 9.6 volt Nicad cordless drill batteries.( gotten
at my local Harbor Freight for 3.99 each)
The ZR's ACTUALLY run on 9.5v which the battery module steps up from
the 7.4 Li-on's.
Look at the voltage rating that's written on the camera around the
plug for the AC adapter/charger on your particular camera.
That's the voltage you'll need to match in whatever battery module you
use as a replacement.
If it's an odd value you can add or subtract cells as needed to match
it.
Use either Nicads or Nimh as they're the easiest/safest to charge.
Chargers for these type cells can be gotten cheaply and easily.(I have
a Ray-O-Vac charger that'll charge both types )
If you prefer to stay oem try this link, I've gotten good quality
aftermarket modules for various cameras at a good price from him.

www.thebattman.com