John Stumbles

Default Intelligent NiCd/NiMH charger

I'm looking for a charger for AAA, AA and C size (and ideally also PP3) NiCd
and NiMH batteries which fast charges with delta V sensing to cut off each
cell when fully charged. AIUI the delta V which signifies full charge is
different for NiCd and NiMH (-ve for NiCd, +ve for NiMH?).

I think there's a Varta charger which does this: there was a Green shop in
Hastings doing them for £20 last year but they've closed now and don't have
any stock left. I'm told there's someone doing them at a subway under
Waterloo Station (at an address that sounds rib-ticklingly like the address
to send the money to in Monty Python's Blackmail :-).

Maplin do a 'Vanson' (who they?) charger for £30 but it only talks about -ve
delta V. (Vanson's website - quovadis.tv doesn't even mention this charger,
and other retailers' websites say nothing except claiming intelligence of
charging).

Any suggestions?

Bonus points for one which runs off a 12V supply too!

tia

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

The Natural Philosopher

John Stumbles wrote:

[...]

Go to a model shop, or look at some of the online model shops.

I have modified all my rechargeables to be 'model compatible' so now
have a vast array of interconnection leads to plug everything into
various chargrs I sue for eth electric aeroplanes.

Biggest problem will be e.g. cell holders to charge multiple cells. I
solved this my using packs of cells with model style connectors on them
and throwing away teh 'in appliance' cell holders. This may not be
possible for some kit.

Check out brands like Schulze, Supernova etc etc.

Good chargers ain't cheap tho. Expect to pay up to 50 squids for a
halfway decent one, and up to 500 for a top of the line bells and
whistles one.

Conversely, the one I use most is sold for car racers at about £25, and
does 6-8 cells off the mains at 3.5A with delta peak - its a bit hard on
the 500ma/h and 1100 ma/h cells, but fine for AA sizes and up. But you
can always trickle them...

Bonus points for one which runs off a 12V supply too!

tia

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
-+

Jack

"John Stumbles" ] wrote in
:

I'm looking for a charger for AAA, AA and C size (and ideally also
PP3) NiCd and NiMH batteries which fast charges with delta V sensing
to cut off each cell when fully charged. AIUI the delta V which
signifies full charge is different for NiCd and NiMH (-ve for NiCd,
+ve for NiMH?).

google: Ansmann

Cheers

parish

John Stumbles wrote:

[...]

I just got a Uniross fast (2 hour) charger that uses delta V sensing.
Mine only does AA and AAA but they do others. Mine came complete with a
mains brick *and* a car cigarette lighter adaptor.

tia

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Alan

Have a look round www.budgetbatteries.co.uk

I bought an Ansmann charger from them a few months back and it's been great.

Alan.

"John Stumbles" ] wrote in message
[...]

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+
-+

John Stumbles

"John Stumbles" ] wrote in message
I'm looking for a charger for AAA, AA and C size (and ideally also PP3)

NiCd
and NiMH batteries which fast charges with delta V sensing to cut off each
cell when fully charged. AIUI the delta V which signifies full charge is
different for NiCd and NiMH (-ve for NiCd, +ve for NiMH?).

To answer my own question (since none of you useless shower did ;-) I did
what I should have done in the first place and googled sci.electronics for
delta V.
My synopsis is: both NiCd and NiMH show a -ve dV at full charge, as a result
of temperature rise i.e. +ve dT (which is maybe where I got the idea I had
about +ve dV).

With NiMH the effect is much smaller than with NiCd so a NiMH charger can be
used for NiCds but not (necessarily) the other way round.

Thanks to everyone who replied re Ansmann, Uniross and model chargers. The
latter I'm interested in for big sprog's Nikko arsey car and maybe some
cordless tools (but these have 14.4V, 18V and 24V packs) but for the range
of 1, 2, 3 and 4-cell toys and appliances around the house a discrete cell
charger is the only way to go.

cheers

--
John Stumbles