Default IF YOUR SO SMART TELL ME WHAT THIS IS !!!!

Ive a throw away TV i salvaged, i knew it worked, and it does, i can
hook up dvd and game consoles but there is not cable plug in, its been
torn out. Does anyone know whta that peice is called? its the peice
that the cable line screws into in the back of the tv ... the tele is
an orion vhs player combo model, its about 19 maybe 21 inches if that
helps .. smarty pants

Jerry G.

The connector can be a number of many types. Some types of them are
line isolated, so that the AC mains is isolated from the antenna return
path to prevent an electrical hazard between the TV's potential and the
antenna ground. Some tuner modules have internal isolation. There are
also models that are external from the tuner module itself, and are a
stand alone type module outside of the tuner.

You would have to first determine the specication required. From that,
you must then determine what type of connector configuration is
required. This would mean opening up the set, and then removing and
opening the tuner module, if necessary.

Sometimes when these are damaged, the circuit board in the tuner is
damaged if the connector is mounted directly on it.

Once all the above is determined, and if you can locate a compatible
connector, then it us the skill of the tech person to be able to change
the connector. If the tuner module is too badly damaged to be repaired,
then a new module will be required.

For safety issues, I would suggest you give the set out for proper
service. Depending on how the connector is broken, will determine if
the repair is able to be done, or is do-able. As far as parts are
consered, if this is a throw-away set, origional parts such as a tuner
module, or a custom type connector, will be impossible to obtain,
unless you can find a scrapper set with one that is identical, and is
in good condition.

Jerry G.
======

brill jerry, thanks alot. i opened it and its a long rectangular slim
shiny box that plugs into a circuit board, it just has a yanked out
cable connector in the back, the male peice i guess u would call it,
its torn of like someone yanked the cord off and broke it in process.
board look ok, still connected just damaged connector box thingy. even
if you dont reply with more info on this youve helped alot, so thinks
jerry.

dont you look stupid

dearest plonk master,

As you may not have noticed one Jerry G. has already responded.
so you can kiss my arse!

William R. Walsh

Hi!

This probably happened when someone was moving the TV set. The cable was too
short and the connector on the end of that box just got ripped out! I've
never had it happen and I've always found the ones on the TV sets here to be
very firmly attached, but I guess with enough abuse anything is possible.

You could try to locate a new end (it's probably a 75 ohm round, possibly
"female" connector...sorry, I don't know the exact term for that type) and
if you have the time, skill, and an understanding of how to work safely
inside the set, it could possibly be repaired. A new module is probably
rather expensive and likely will be hard to find given that Orion is a
lower-end brand that may not have a lot of service parts available.

If you can't get the parts or don't feel comfortable working inside the set,
then you could probably just use it as it is with the video/audio inputs.
The set shouldn't "notice the difference" and you could use a VCR or cable
box as a tuner. I doubt that the safety of the set will be impacted in any
significant way.

William

excellent - 75 ohm round, i fugred it was female, but the idea of
useing a cable box as a tuner thats brill, hadnt thought of it. thanks
to you mr. walsh.

William R. Walsh

Hi!

wrote in message
ups.com...
excellent - 75 ohm round, i fugred it was female, but the idea of
useing a cable box as a tuner thats brill, hadnt thought of it. thanks
to you mr. walsh.

Another good use of this technique is to drive old video monitors with
composite (separate video and audio connections) inputs but no tuner. I'm
speaking of the old monitors that would have once gone with Apple II,
Commodore 64 or other computers of similar vintage. Most of them have
onboard speakers and can be repurposed into a nice, small and very high
clarity TV set. I have here a very nice Magnavox monitor with stereo audio.
It goes well with a DVD player and puts off a very nice picture with decent
sound. (Plus, the "color kill" switch that makes everything green can make
for a more interesting way to watch TV... :-) )

By the way...I wrote down cable box in my reply a little too soon. That may
or may not work. I don't think I've ever seen a cable box with composite
output, but I haven't been around a lot of cable TV systems.

William

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 01:48:38 GMT, "William R. Walsh"
wrote:

Hi!

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]