Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
User132384

Default Have I Screwed Up my GE Oven ?

Hi,

The baking element on the bottom of my 1986 GE oven developed a hole,
and was not heating up any more. So I removed the old element. Then, just for
kicks, I decided to test the current between the 2 wires that had attached to
the old element, to make sure it wasn't just a blown fuse. I used a test light
that was apparently designed for much lower voltage / wattage/ whatever, and
destroyed it instantly with a loud pop and bright flash of ligth when I made
the connection. Yes, poster child for electrical safety.

The oven still works (except for the baking element). However, the red
light under the temp dial is now constantly on, unless I turn off the breaker.
I reconnected the old element, and the red light still stays on. It is on even
when every control is set to "OFF".

There is a faint "electrical odor" now when using the circular stovetop
burners.

Have I fried / melted some wiring perhaps in the oven ? Time to yank it out
and check things ?

When I install a new baking element, will the red light go off? I don't
recall it being on until I messed with the "continuity test".

Thanks,

Poster Child for Electrical Safety