James Sweet

"Synapse" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the replies !
No, I don't know if I have power at the bake terminals. I am
afraid to test it. I don't have a voltmeter with enough resistance.

Huh? The resistance of the volt meter isn't an issue, any $15 multimeter
should allow you to measure 240v, most go up to 1000v, however I think it'd
be easier to just put a new element in there, if it doesn't heat then you
know you don't have power there, if it does heat then the voltage is fine.

When I turn the other dial to "bake", the broiler element gets hot (
I think it did before too). Have not been able to buy new bake element
yet.

I am hoping that, as one poster implied, that replacing the bake
element will solve the red light problem also.

I can virtually guarrantee you that it will not. The contacts of the
thermostat are welded, or if it's solid state then the triac is shorted, it
happened when you essentially short-circuited the element.

More questions : If I need to look at fuses, wires, switch contacts,
etc., how do i get to them? Can I simply walk / jerk the oven out of
its slot and onto the kitchen floor, with adequate slack in the wiring
to let me get it out a few feet ? Is everything located inside the
control panel at the back of the top of the stove ? It is not
"electronic" in that there are no LED readouts, just dials, two analog
clocks for start/stop timing, a regular analog clock which no longer
works and a switch for the latch/self-cleaning function.

That depends entirely on your particular oven and the way it was installed.
Usually there's some screws holding brackets around the face, sometimes you
have to take some trim off to get to them. There has to be some slack in the
wire because someone had to install it there at some point. Check if you can
take the control panel apart without taking the oven out though, everything
should be right there on the back of the panel, if it's all mechanical then
the thermostat will be directly connected to the temperature knob by the
shaft poking through the panel. It may be possible to pop the contacts apart
with a small screwdriver or it may be fully enclosed and rivited shut, in
which case you'll likely have to replace the thermostat. Oh, I should
mention, make sure you shut off the circuit breaker before you tear into it.