Synapse

Thanks again for the replies. I have to go to a Christmas party today
and cannot have fun with the oven, unfortunately. But tomorrow, I will
try out my new present, a multimeter. It has a 500V setting, which I
will try. I will also read the directions first. All this takes time,
which these darn parties use up so well !

The oven is placed at floor level, and is tightly inserted in
between floor level cabinets/drawers. I see 2 screws on the top of the
control panel, and can feel but not see 2 screws on the back of the
control panel. I'm going to have to pull the oven out at least 6 inches
just to get to the screws on the back.

BTW, the flat metal "spade" pieces on the ends of the leads for the
bake element are sort of burned/melted. I hope to be able to use them
again. We'll see.

Thanks again for the info, everyone ! I'll be back with more
questions / results.