David Lesher

Default DVD no spin

I regard such as likely unfixable...but a cow orker has a bottom-end
DVD player, tray loading. It does not spin the DVD and thus never
reads it.

I assume there's a sensor [not] detecting the DVD...or is it more
likely a bad motor?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Leonard Caillouet

"David Lesher" wrote in message
I regard such as likely unfixable...but a cow orker has a bottom-end
DVD player, tray loading. It does not spin the DVD and thus never
reads it.

I assume there's a sensor [not] detecting the DVD...or is it more
likely a bad motor?

How do you ork a cow?

What brand and model?

Could be a pickup, sensor, or motor.

Leonard

Stan

}
} I assume there's a sensor [not] detecting the DVD...or is it more
} likely a bad motor?
}
}How do you ork a cow?

With an ork, of course. A USDA approved ork, that is. And check to see
if the ork is on OSHA's list of approved farm equipment. And don't forget
to verify that the cow restraints are certified for orking.

And you'll want a good helmet...maybe a mouth protector, too.

Questions?

Check the FAQ at https://support.usda.gov/farmbureau/dangers-of-orking

HTH.

HAND.

Stan.
LASERandDVDfan

I regard such as likely unfixable...but a cow orker has a bottom-end
DVD player, tray loading. It does not spin the DVD and thus never
reads it.

Ask your co-worker what brand and model his DVD player is.

This information is vital if we are to provide any kind of specific useful
information.

I assume there's a sensor [not] detecting the DVD...or is it more
likely a bad motor?

Depends on what it's doing. Does it make any kind of noise or does it just sit
there?

Some Samsung DVD players were known for developing problems with the spindle
motor. This would keep the motor from spinning and you'd hear squealing noises
from the optical pickup. The repair is to replace the motor, if the work can
be performed for less than a new player.

Most of the time, though, especially with real low end turkeys like the crap
from Apex, Mintek, Norcent, Coby, or the like, the optical pickup suffers a
failure that keeps it from reading a disc reliably, if at all.

In this event, the only possible repair is to replace the optical pickup. If
it were something like a Denon DVD-5900, then repair for this kind of player
would be highly recommended. But if it's something like an Apex, replacement
of the entire player is a better choice.

If your co-worker decides to chuck it in the trash and get a new player:

Sony, Pioneer, or JVC.

These three brands are the only ones that make a decent DVD player at a low
pricepoint. They cost more than Apex or Mintek, but they are also better
designed and built better than Apex or Mintek. - Reinhart
Mark D. Zacharias

cow orker

Dilbert reader I see - you even get the newsletter, eh?

Pickups die like flies on DVD players. This or a shorted spindle motor are
the most likely causes. The spindle motors generally aren't available
separately, but part of the entire DVD pickup subchassis, for alignment
reasons. Too expensive anymore, parts alone are generally over 100.00,
sometimes much more.

Mark Z.

Mark Z.

"David Lesher" wrote in message
I regard such as likely unfixable...but a cow orker has a bottom-end
DVD player, tray loading. It does not spin the DVD and thus never
reads it.

I assume there's a sensor [not] detecting the DVD...or is it more
likely a bad motor?

--
A host is a host from coast to

indago

041203 1348 - Stan posted:

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote: "David Lesher" wrote:

} I regard such as likely unfixable...but a cow orker has a bottom-end
} DVD player, tray loading. It does not spin the DVD and thus never
} reads it.
}
} I assume there's a sensor [not] detecting the DVD...or is it more
} likely a bad motor?
}
}How do you ork a cow?

With an ork, of course. A USDA approved ork, that is. And check to see
if the ork is on OSHA's list of approved farm equipment. And don't forget
to verify that the cow restraints are certified for orking.

And you'll want a good helmet...maybe a mouth protector, too.

Questions?

I know a guy who orked a cow once. The cow was nonplussed...

Leonard Caillouet

"indago" wrote in message
041203 1348 - Stan posted:

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote: "David Lesher" wrote:

} I regard such as likely unfixable...but a cow orker has a bottom-end
} DVD player, tray loading. It does not spin the DVD and thus never
} reads it.
}
} I assume there's a sensor [not] detecting the DVD...or is it more
} likely a bad motor?
}
}How do you ork a cow?

With an ork, of course. A USDA approved ork, that is. And check to see
if the ork is on OSHA's list of approved farm equipment. And don't

forget
to verify that the cow restraints are certified for orking.

And you'll want a good helmet...maybe a mouth protector, too.

Questions?

I know a guy who orked a cow once. The cow was nonplussed...

I guess getting orked must be a bit like when a Philips or Thomson product
comes through the door for service...

Leonard

LASERandDVDfan

Pickups die like flies on DVD players.

Die like flies?

More like lemmings. - Reinhart
David Lesher

"Leonard Caillouet" writes:

I regard such as likely unfixable...but a cow orker has a bottom-end
DVD player, tray loading. It does not spin the DVD and thus never
reads it.

I assume there's a sensor [not] detecting the DVD...or is it more
likely a bad motor?

How do you ork a cow?

carefully

What brand and model?

Make Oritron
Model DVD100
Date 2000

--
A host is a host from coast to
Ken G.

Its a broken play button .

The customer is always right .

Mark D. Zacharias

Brilliant!!! I'll just tell my customers the play button is broke, but the
part isn't available.

(Customers often bring in a tv and say, "The power switch is broken" for a
dead set.)

LOL!!!

Mark Z.

"Ken G." wrote in message
Its a broken play button .

The customer is always right .

Leonard Caillouet

Isn't it amazing how many sets have broken power switches? I have to bite
my tongue when they give me that line.

--
Leonard Caillouet

....I'd like to find you inner child and kick its little ass. Get over it...
(The Eagles)

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
Isn't it amazing how many sets have broken power switches? I have to bite
my tongue when they give me that line.

Repairmen over here, learned not to bite their tongue anymore... Many
late ninety-nineties and earlie two-thousands Philips TV sets have
Stelvio power switches that use contact material of inferior quality,
which would burn up pretty fast when used regularly. It was actually a
lot safer to keep the set on standby than to switch it on and off every
day. Symptoms of the power switch faillure would include circuit
breakers popping, TV-sets spontaneously turning themselves on at night,
TV-sets starting to smell and even smoke, independent of the set being
switched on or off.

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.
Leonard Caillouet

Duh! Of course, we have all seen sets with bad switches. Lots of RCAs, and
lots of sets that windex or other cleaners have done a good job of corroding
the tact switches. That was not the point. The point was that it is
humorous that so many people want to assume that there is little more to the
troubleshooting and repair of electronics than changing the power switch if
the unit doesn't work.

Repairmen over here have learned to have a sense of humor about such things.

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
Duh! Of course, we have all seen sets with bad switches. Lots of RCAs, and
lots of sets that windex or other cleaners have done a good job of corroding
the tact switches. That was not the point. The point was that it is
humorous that so many people want to assume that there is little more to the
troubleshooting and repair of electronics than changing the power switch if
the unit doesn't work.

I thought they always ask if it is the picture tube that's broken ;-)

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.
LASERandDVDfan

I thought they always ask if it is the picture tube that's broken ;-)

That's a commonly cited fault by weekend technicians as well.

"There is a line in the middle of the TV. I think the tube is blown." -
Reinhart