Default Washer motor cuts out at start of spin (Speed Queen/ Amana)

My Speed Queen (Amana) 2-speed washer (15 years old) cuts out at the
beginning of the spin cycle. It starts to spin the tub and then
quits. After a wait of several minutes the motor will try again. If
the machine is turned off to allow a complete cool down, the
intermittent spin recurs when turned back on. I replaced the worn out
belts and the pump (bad bearing). I also replaced the timer. In this
model the spin cycle starts with a full tub of water so the motor has
to grunt to spin all that mass. There is no clutch to allow pump-out
before the spin. The motor reverses to spin and this activates the
pump-out. Agitating seems normal. The brake works fine. When moving
the belt by hand the tub can be spun easily (when empty).

It seems to me that the most likely culprits are the motor switch that
switches off the start winding or the thermal protection switch. The
centrifugal activator of the motor switch oves freely and can be seen
to move when the motor starts. I suppose the switch could be damaged
inside though. What about the thermal protector? Can it be replaced?
Is the thermal protector built in to the motor or is it part of the
motor switch? It looks easy to replace the motor switch. Is belt
tension an issue? There is limited adjustment of tension and the belt
has a spring loaded idler pulley anyway.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Milt
SkyBlue

Have you checked the cut-off switch that is usually activated by the lid.
Maybe it has a loose connection and when the spinning and vibration start,
it cuts out? just a thought.

" wrote:

[...]

Mad Mac

"L. M. Rappaport" wrote in message
Just a guess, but most washers have an out-of-balance switch which
activates during the spin cycle. That might be faulty - worth
checking.

--
Larry

Distinct possibility, saw this several times on Amana washers when I was "in
the trade". Word of warning, that assembly is part of the lid switch and
from memory, ins in about six separate pieces - changing it out is NOT for
those of a nervous disposition :-(

L. M. Rappaport

Just a guess, but most washers have an out-of-balance switch which
activates during the spin cycle. That might be faulty - worth
checking.

--
Larry

On 16 Aug 2003 06:08:25 -0700,

) wrote (with possible editing):

[...]

Dan O.

wrote

My Speed Queen 2-speed washer (15 years old)
cuts out at the beginning of the spin cycle. It starts
to spin the tub and then quits. After a wait of
several minutes the motor will try again.

I replaced the worn out belts and the pump (bad bearing).

In an attempt to fix this problem or did the problem only occur after that?

Did you install a plain rubber belt or the correct one for your model from
an appliance parts supplier??

Many washers use a 'low friction' belt which is suppose to slip at the start
of a spin cycle which acts as a clutch. If you've installed a plain rubber
belt in place of one of those, you are likely putting too much strain on the
motor during the spin. That would cause excessive amperage draw, overheating
of the motor and likely it to cut out on the motor's internal overload
protector.

In this model the spin cycle starts with a full tub of water
so the motor has to grunt to spin all that mass. There is
no clutch to allow pump-out before the spin.

On Speed Queen clothes washer models without a mechanical clutch, a low
friction belt acts as one. Such a belt *must be* replaced with the proper
one designed for that washer model and not just a plain rubber automotive
type belt!

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Speed+Queen+washer

=Ð~~~~~~

Different honeys Mary Fisher UK diy 69 April 16th 04 12:06 PM
Indesit WG820 washer - no spin Peter Chase UK diy 4 March 8th 04 04:15 PM
Hotpoint "First edition" Washing machine Noisy top speed spin Paul GT UK diy 5 January 17th 04 03:32 PM