Electronics Repair (sci.electronics.repair) Discussion of repairing electronic equipment. Topics include requests for assistance, where to obtain servicing information and parts, techniques for diagnosis and repair, and annecdotes about success, failures and problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old May 14th 21, 10:56 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2006
Posts: 350
Default usb Parallel converter

If I have a converter between a USB computer and a parallel printer, will it
also work between a usb printer and parallel computer?

(I want to replace 1995 printer which is connected to 1995 and 2007 computers.)

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com
---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---





  #3   Report Post  
Old May 14th 21, 02:16 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2013
Posts: 261
Default usb Parallel converter

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 6:43:59 AM UTC-4, Rob wrote:
wrote:
If I have a converter between a USB computer and a parallel printer, will it
also work between a usb printer and parallel computer?

(I want to replace 1995 printer which is connected to 1995 and 2007 computers.)

No, that will not work!


So, you have USB on a computer, and parallel on a printer, and you have a converter to connect them?

Now you want to get rid of the parallel printer and buy a USB printer? No, your converter won't work, but you won't need it anymore. You can go USB to USB.

Maybe I misunderstood what you are asking.
  #4   Report Post  
Old May 14th 21, 02:23 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2013
Posts: 56
Default usb Parallel converter

Tim R wrote:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 6:43:59 AM UTC-4, Rob wrote:
wrote:
If I have a converter between a USB computer and a parallel printer, will it
also work between a usb printer and parallel computer?

(I want to replace 1995 printer which is connected to 1995 and 2007 computers.)

No, that will not work!


So, you have USB on a computer, and parallel on a printer, and you have a converter to connect them?

Now you want to get rid of the parallel printer and buy a USB printer? No, your converter won't work, but you won't need it anymore. You can go USB to USB.

Maybe I misunderstood what you are asking.


I have not asked anything, but I have read what the OP asked and understood
that he has a computer with parallel interface, and a printer with USB
interface, and is looking for a gadget to connect the two.

However, a "USB to parallel printer" converter (cable) will not do that,
it converts the other way around (USB computer to parallel printer).
  #7   Report Post  
Old May 15th 21, 12:59 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2021
Posts: 33
Default usb Parallel converter

On 5/14/2021 9:23 AM, Rob wrote:
Tim wrote:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 6:43:59 AM UTC-4, Rob wrote:
trategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
If I have a converter between a USB computer and a parallel printer, will it
also work between a usb printer and parallel computer?

(I want to replace 1995 printer which is connected to 1995 and 2007 computers.)
No, that will not work!


So, you have USB on a computer, and parallel on a printer, and you have a converter to connect them?

Now you want to get rid of the parallel printer and buy a USB printer? No, your converter won't work, but you won't need it anymore. You can go USB to USB.

Maybe I misunderstood what you are asking.


I have not asked anything, but I have read what the OP asked and understood
that he has a computer with parallel interface, and a printer with USB
interface, and is looking for a gadget to connect the two.

However, a "USB to parallel printer" converter (cable) will not do that,
it converts the other way around (USB computer to parallel printer).


Yes, it seems that he wants to connect a new USB printer to a parallel
printer port on said 1995 computer. Even if possible, the computer
won't recognize the new printer... good luck finding drivers for that
machine, likely running Win 3.11 or 95.
  #8   Report Post  
Old May 15th 21, 01:39 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 125
Default usb Parallel converter

In sci.electronics.repair, Michael Trew wrote:
trategist.dot.dot.com
wrote:
(I want to replace 1995 printer which is connected to 1995 and 2007
computers.)

[...]
Yes, it seems that he wants to connect a new USB printer to a parallel
printer port on said 1995 computer. Even if possible, the computer


Read again. Several computers oldest of which is 1995.

won't recognize the new printer... good luck finding drivers for that
machine, likely running Win 3.11 or 95.


Generic PCL or Postscript will work fine with older computers. Also
Epson compatible line printing. I have seen VJP ask about XP and Linux
issues. I venture there are modern Linux distributions that can still
run on 1995 hardware.

Using network printing, possibly with a pi as a server, and generic PCL
/ Postscript is probably easiest for OSes of that era.

Elijah
------
first used network printing in 1991
  #9   Report Post  
Old May 15th 21, 09:27 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2013
Posts: 56
Default usb Parallel converter

Eli the Bearded wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair, Michael Trew wrote:
trategist.dot.dot.com
wrote:
(I want to replace 1995 printer which is connected to 1995 and 2007
computers.)

[...]
Yes, it seems that he wants to connect a new USB printer to a parallel
printer port on said 1995 computer. Even if possible, the computer


Read again. Several computers oldest of which is 1995.

won't recognize the new printer... good luck finding drivers for that
machine, likely running Win 3.11 or 95.


Generic PCL or Postscript will work fine with older computers. Also
Epson compatible line printing. I have seen VJP ask about XP and Linux
issues. I venture there are modern Linux distributions that can still
run on 1995 hardware.

Using network printing, possibly with a pi as a server, and generic PCL
/ Postscript is probably easiest for OSes of that era.

Elijah
------
first used network printing in 1991


Of course it depends a lot on the printer. I have never bought "toy
printers" so I have no personal experience with that, I always used
printers that supported Postscript or well-recognized other standards.
However, I know that printers have existed (especially on USB) which
do not support any printer language and can only print a bitmap sent
to them in a proprietary protocol. The Windows driver that comes
with it does all the rendering on the computer then sends the prepared
pages to the printer.
No idea how common that still is.

A "red flag" is "only drivers for Windows available for the printer".
  #10   Report Post  
Old May 15th 21, 07:55 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2019
Posts: 26
Default usb Parallel converter

On Sat, 15 May 2021 00:39:33 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair, Michael Trew wrote:
trategist.dot.dot.com
wrote:
(I want to replace 1995 printer which is connected to 1995 and 2007
computers.)

[...]
Yes, it seems that he wants to connect a new USB printer to a parallel
printer port on said 1995 computer. Even if possible, the computer


Read again. Several computers oldest of which is 1995.

won't recognize the new printer... good luck finding drivers for that
machine, likely running Win 3.11 or 95.


Generic PCL or Postscript will work fine with older computers. Also
Epson compatible line printing. I have seen VJP ask about XP and Linux
issues. I venture there are modern Linux distributions that can still
run on 1995 hardware.


heh... Just for grins, and some actual, but seldom needed use, I have
WordStar 6.0 running in xdosemu on my linux workstation. It prints
Just Fine to my lan connected HP Jetpro M404n, even tho' WordStar "thinks"
it's still printing on my long gone HP LJ III.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | Marvin | W3DHJ.net | linux
38.238N 104.547W | @ jonz.net | Jonesy | FreeBSD
* Killfiling google & XXXXbanter.com: jonz.net/ng.htm


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Series, parallel, and series-parallel resistors - series parallel R.pdf John Fields Electronic Schematics 9 October 25th 11 12:07 AM
Followup USB malfunction ? / Ezbus digital mixer /Ez-usb USB chip N_Cook Electronics Repair 16 June 7th 10 10:28 AM
Jet Parallel Clamps... NOT Parallel? -MIKE- Woodworking 31 April 1st 10 02:15 AM
Parallel diodes - Parallel diodes.pdf (1/1) John Fields Electronic Schematics 3 March 31st 08 08:43 PM
Parallel diodes - Parallel diodes.pdf (0/1) John Fields Electronic Schematics 2 March 30th 08 12:14 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017