Old May 20th 10, 03:17 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Followup USB malfunction ? / Ezbus digital mixer /Ez-usb USB chip

Franc Zabkar wrote in message
On Wed, 5 May 2010 08:56:58 +0100, "N_Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

that 1K5 will have to go back in , It is the first point of recognition

for
USB linking. Next to find why DISCON is permanently H.

My understanding is that the pullup resistor on D+ signals to the host
(your PC) that a USB device has been plugged in. The host then
attempts to enumerate (ie identify) the device.

If the device takes too long to go through its POST and initialisation
routines, then the host may time out. In such cases the device may
implement an active pullup which is disabled during its POST. When the
device is ready, the pullup resistor is enabled, allowing enumeration
to begin.

AIUI, the normal state of DISCON# is high.

See this EZ-USB Development Board (circuit on pages 5 & 6):
http://www.minford.ca/MF3001EZUSBManual.pdf

I found this detailed document:

The EZ-USB USB Integrated Circuit Technical Reference:
http://www.digchip.com/data/115/115-00027-0-AN2121S.pdf

It states that EZ-USB devices can power up in RAM-only mode, in which
case the host downloads runtime code into the 8051 CPU's internal 8K
RAM. During this time the device identifies itself as a "Default USB
Device". After the code has been downloaded, the device disconnects
and then reconnects, this time renumerating as the device defined
within the downloaded code.

Page 41 describes the EA (external access) pin. I think this may be
the key to how the device behaves. The tech ref also talks about mask
ROMed versions. Perhaps there is a way to force the EZ-USB chip into
RAM-only mode??? If so, then this will remove any corrupt firmware
from the equation. You could then use UVCView to see how the device
enumerates under these circumstances.

You could also disconnect the serial EEPROM, if any. The EEPROM would
contain Product and Vendor IDs for the manufacturer of the mixer. If
the EEPROM is absent, then the EZ-USB chip will ID with the PID and
VID of 0x0547 (Cypress Semiconductor) and 0x2131 (EZ-USB),
respectively.

- Franc Zabkar

I got back to this today. Saved to disc the existing (corrupted ?) data in
the serial EEPROM and cut the SDA line to the Ez-usb chip.
The EZbus mixer is no longer "Becoming Ezbus" and a blank screen.
But windows recognises a USB device connected and by UVCView/USB view the
USB is working up to the USB chip , reading

---===Device Information===---

ConnectionStatus:
Current Config Value: 0x00 - Device Bus Speed: Full
Device Address: 0x00
Open Pipes: 0
*!*ERROR: No open pipes!

===Device Descriptor===
bLength: 0x12
bDescriptorType: 0x01
bcdUSB: 0x0100
bDeviceClass: 0xFF - This is a Vendor Specific Device
bDeviceSubClass: 0xFF
bDeviceProtocol: 0xFF
bMaxPacketSize0: 0x40 = (64) Bytes
idVendor: 0x0547idProduct:
0x2131
bcdDevice: 0x0004
iManufacturer: 0x00
iProduct: 0x00
iSerialNumber: 0x00
bNumConfigurations: 0x01

ie Cypress VID/PID

Where to now? presumably forcing a pipe somehow

Old May 21st 10, 09:21 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

I'm thinking out in wwwland must be some general Cypress utility for
transfering minimal data into their chippery to redesignate VID/PID
pipe/endpoints etc.
Put a switch in the SDA line , leave open at power up , so USB designated
Cypress, then after 3 seconds when clock line is high close the switch. Then
upload something to the memory, enough to redisignate the USB identity. Then
power down and power up and transfer the mixer firmware.

Old May 21st 10, 12:23 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Anyone familiar with this sort of utility
EZ Loader Custom USB Firmware Loader Driver
http://www.cypress.com/?docID=4503
just to rejig USB ident to then use the firmware transfer for the particular
application ? here a digital mixer that is otherwise dead from corrupted
firmware transfer.

eg p4
" 8. Before you can use your new firmware driver you will need
to bind it with your device. This is done by loading the
serial EEPROM with the VID/PID combination defined in
the INF file you create for your custom USB device. This
is the first of two VID/PID combinations your device will
use. When the VID/PID in the EEPROM is reported to the
host, the host will invoke the wdgtldr.sys which loads your
firmware. To load your VID/PID combination in the serial
EEPROM open the EZ-USB Control Panel, ensure the
Target Field matches your target device, and download
the Vend_ax.hex example. "

Old May 22nd 10, 12:51 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2010 14:17:20 +0100, "N_Cook" put
[...]

You already know more about USB than I do. :-)

However, I wonder if the data in the serial EEPROM are checksummed, in
which case it may be possible to confirm its integrity.

ISTM that you've at least confirmed that the EZ-USB chip has sanity,
if you weren't already convinced by your scope tests.

- Franc Zabkar
Old May 22nd 10, 08:49 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Switching SDA line after 3 seconds still keeps the USB open but wrong
identity for the mixer firmware installer. Not had a chance to connect it up
to a pc but I'm assuming it will not software connect if expecting the mixer
VID/VID/endpoint. When next I have some time I will load the installer.exe
into hex_reader_XVI32 and see if I can swap VID / PID hex-codes to fool it
into thinking it is an EZbus rather than EZusb it is hooked to. Probably
checksummed there but simple enough to try.

Old May 22nd 10, 11:52 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 22 May 2010 07:49:28 +0100, "N_Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Switching SDA line after 3 seconds still keeps the USB open but wrong
identity for the mixer firmware installer. Not had a chance to connect it up
to a pc but I'm assuming it will not software connect if expecting the mixer
VID/VID/endpoint. When next I have some time I will load the installer.exe
into hex_reader_XVI32 and see if I can swap VID / PID hex-codes to fool it
into thinking it is an EZbus rather than EZusb it is hooked to. Probably
checksummed there but simple enough to try.

You may be interested in IICUNI. It is a utility that controls I2C
devices from a PC parallel port. I suspect that you could program the
serial EEPROM in-circuit if you keep the EZ-USB chip quiet by holding
down its reset pin.

http://web.archive.org/web/200605110...ogs/iicuni.rar

I believe the EZ-USB datasheet should tell you how to compute the
checksum.

- Franc Zabkar
Old May 23rd 10, 04:11 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

I deRARified it and m/c translated the German readme.
3.1 and 95 , not NT, any idea if it would work under windows 98 ?

Old May 24th 10, 09:35 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

So perhaps dig out win95 disc , make up the 7405 bridge, fire up iicuni and
from the Ezusb pdf ,fro

5.7 Serial EEPROM Present,FirstByte is 0xB0
Table 5-7. EEPROM Data Format for"B0"Load

0 0xB0
1 VendorID(VID)L
2 VendorID(VID)H
3 ProductID(PID)L
4 ProductID(PID)H
5 DeviceID(DID)L
6 DeviceID(DID)H
7 Notused

and
digital mixer VID 0B45 , PID_0001&MI_00
perhaps just loading hex version of
B0450B01000000 into the first 7 bytes instead of the current corrupted
087910B004BCC0.....

(I'm unsure about device ID at the moment)
is enough to start the ball rolling to do a firmware upload for the mixer

Old May 26th 10, 11:47 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 23 May 2010 15:11:35 +0100, "N_Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Franc Zabkar wrote in message
.. .

You may be interested in IICUNI.

http://web.archive.org/web/200605110...ogs/iicuni.rar

I deRARified it and m/c translated the German readme.
3.1 and 95 , not NT, any idea if it would work under windows 98 ?

I'm using Win98SE. I haven't constructed the interface circuit, so I
can't test IICUNI with any I2C devices, but FWIW it appears to run OK
in all other respects.

- Franc Zabkar
Old May 26th 10, 11:49 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 24 May 2010 08:35:10 +0100, "N_Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

So perhaps dig out win95 disc , make up the 7405 bridge, fire up iicuni and
from the Ezusb pdf ,fro

5.7 Serial EEPROM Present,FirstByte is 0xB0
Table 5-7. EEPROM Data Format for"B0"Load

0 0xB0
1 VendorID(VID)L
2 VendorID(VID)H
3 ProductID(PID)L
4 ProductID(PID)H
5 DeviceID(DID)L
6 DeviceID(DID)H
7 Notused

and
digital mixer VID 0B45 , PID_0001&MI_00
perhaps just loading hex version of
B0450B01000000 into the first 7 bytes instead of the current corrupted
087910B004BCC0.....

(I'm unsure about device ID at the moment)
is enough to start the ball rolling to do a firmware upload for the mixer

If all you want to do is to verify that the EEPROM data are intact,
then wouldn't it be simpler to just compute a checksum over the
contents?

Could you upload the PROM dump so that we could have a look at it?

- Franc Zabkar