Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Faulhaber 2225U024S16 motor

Hi, all,

I'm repairing a Photon Inc. BeamScan 1080 laser beam profiler. It works
by using a motor with a drum of about a 1-1/2 inch diameter mounted
coaxially on the shaft. The drum has a carefully-calibrated slit made
from very thin shim stock, so that it scans the slit across the beam in
the X direction and measures the 1-D profile. (You have to rotate the
head to get the Y direction.)

The bearings on the motor are shot--the shaft rolls around in the
bearing and buzzes instead of rotating smoothly.

It's quite a nice motor, a Faulhaber 2225U024S16. Trouble is, they
don't make it anymore, and apparently haven't in quite awhile--I have
their 2006-7 catalogue, and it isn't listed. They do have an apparently
similar model 2224U024SR that might be a good replacement.

It's 22 mm in diameter, 24 mm long, and has a 2-mm shaft. From the part
number it sounds like it runs on 24 V.

Anybody got a datasheet or other wisdom?

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 1:36:25 PM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote:
[...]

What is bad? The bearings, or is there other damage?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, 18 December 2019 18:36:25 UTC, Phil Hobbs wrote:
[...]

There's a lot I don't know about the situation, but fwiw the first thing that springs to mind is why don't you replace the defective bearing. Industrial mech engineering shops can do that sort of thing for not much. I was quoted 60 to do a transaxle maybe 3 years ago.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2019-12-18 22:31, Michael Terrell wrote:
[...]

The sintered bearings are completely shot. Otherwise it appears OK.
("Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln....") The issue is mainly that I don't
know the unloaded speed of the motor at rated voltage, so it's hard to
know if the 2224 is a suitable replacement.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2019-12-18 22:54, wrote:
[...]

The motor is 20 mm in diameter by 24 mm long. Not quite in the
transaxle class.

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Hobbs wrote:

("Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln....") The issue is mainly that I don't
know the unloaded speed of the motor at rated voltage, so it's hard to
know if the 2224 is a suitable replacement.

https://lemo-solar.de/shop/motoren.php

Does it looks like Artikel 75 or 78, 79

Oh..and perhaps you can call Faulhaber and ask for the data. They
are very expensive, very good quality and very helpful.
The did not have any data on there homepage because the motor
is too old, but I expect they can help if you ask them.

https://www.mikrocontroller.net/atta...142700_362.pdf

Hm..this datasheet said the 2225 not a motor, it is a generator
and it is made with differenz kind of bearing.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Faulhaber-Mo...AOSwa~BYP63 1

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Faulhaber-Mo...AOSwzrxUsBy X

Sometimes you can buy a motor with a different gearbox and change
it. I may be necessary to heat the engine because the use a kind of
glue in the threads.

Olaf

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 2:56:20 AM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 2019-12-18 22:31, Michael Terrell wrote:
[...]

Can Faulhaber supply new bearings? I doubt that they were only used on one motor design.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2019-12-19 04:32, olaf wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:

("Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln....") The issue is mainly that I don't
know the unloaded speed of the motor at rated voltage, so it's hard to
know if the 2224 is a suitable replacement.

https://lemo-solar.de/shop/motoren.php

Does it looks like Artikel 75 or 78, 79

Yup. Those are the right motor but the wrong voltage.

Oh..and perhaps you can call Faulhaber and ask for the data. They
are very expensive, very good quality and very helpful.
The did not have any data on there homepage because the motor
is too old, but I expect they can help if you ask them.

I did, but I haven't heard back yet.

https://www.mikrocontroller.net/atta...142700_362.pdf

Hm..this datasheet said the 2225 not a motor, it is a generator
and it is made with differenz kind of bearing.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Faulhaber-Mo...AOSwa~BYP63 1

Thanks, I ordered a couple of those last night--I found them after I posted.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Faulhaber-Mo...AOSwzrxUsBy X

Sometimes you can buy a motor with a different gearbox and change
it. I may be necessary to heat the engine because the use a kind of
glue in the threads.

This one isn't a gear motor--the drum just goes right on the shaft, with
no loading except aerodynamic drag. That's the main reason I'd like the
datasheet before I replace it with something else, because the
free-running speeds can be pretty different and I don't know much about
the speed controller.

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2019-12-19 04:32, olaf wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:

Â* ("Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln....")Â* The issue is mainly that I
don't
Â* know the unloaded speed of the motor at rated voltage, so it's hard to
Â* know if the 2224 is a suitable replacement.

https://lemo-solar.de/shop/motoren.php

Does it looks like Artikel 75 or 78, 79

Yup.Â* Those are the right motor but the wrong voltage.

[...]

no loading except aerodynamic drag.Â* That's the main reason I'd like the
datasheet before I replace it with something else, because the
free-running speeds can be pretty different and I don't know much about
the speed controller.

One of the motors from the eBay choppers fixed it, hurrah.

I bought four more for use as actual optical choppers for
proof-of-concept instruments.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--