Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default Faulhaber 2225U024S16 motor

On 2019-12-18 22:31, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 1:36:25 PM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote:
Hi, all,

I'm repairing a Photon Inc. BeamScan 1080 laser beam profiler. It works
by using a motor with a drum of about a 1-1/2 inch diameter mounted
coaxially on the shaft. The drum has a carefully-calibrated slit made
from very thin shim stock, so that it scans the slit across the beam in
the X direction and measures the 1-D profile. (You have to rotate the
head to get the Y direction.)

The bearings on the motor are shot--the shaft rolls around in the
bearing and buzzes instead of rotating smoothly.

It's quite a nice motor, a Faulhaber 2225U024S16. Trouble is, they
don't make it anymore, and apparently haven't in quite awhile--I have
their 2006-7 catalogue, and it isn't listed. They do have an apparently
similar model 2224U024SR that might be a good replacement.

It's 22 mm in diameter, 24 mm long, and has a 2-mm shaft. From the part
number it sounds like it runs on 24 V.

Anybody got a datasheet or other wisdom?

What is bad? The bearings, or is there other damage?

The sintered bearings are completely shot. Otherwise it appears OK.
("Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln....") The issue is mainly that I don't
know the unloaded speed of the motor at rated voltage, so it's hard to
know if the 2224 is a suitable replacement.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs