Old September 8th 19, 02:19 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default can I swap out 125 W mercury vapor medium base for 175 W mercuryvapor mogul base?

I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts. It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W. Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb? It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor. Thank you.

Old September 8th 19, 02:27 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

No. About covers it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old September 8th 19, 06:58 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Get yourself a 36w LED retrofit 4000K bulb, remove or fully bypass the ballast and enjoy.
Old September 8th 19, 08:25 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, 8 September 2019 02:19:22 UTC+1, Larz wrote:

I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts. It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W. Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb? It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor. Thank you.

Would there be much point? Mercury is obsolete for a reason. Total cost of ownership of a LED light is cheaper. And the light's better. And no warm-up issues. Your fitting/bulb might be free, but the electricity isn't.

NT
Old September 8th 19, 10:46 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 08.09.19 3:19, Larz wrote:
I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts. It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W. Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb? It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor. Thank you.

The ballast and supply voltage determine power, so your 175 watt lamp
will not get the power you want to feed it.
Lamp an ballast go together.

Old September 9th 19, 12:43 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9/8/19 5:46 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
On 08.09.19 3:19, Larz wrote:
I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts.┬* It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W.┬* Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb?┬* It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor.┬* Thank
you.

The ballast and supply voltage determine power, so your 175 watt lamp
will not get the power you want┬* to feed it.
Lamp an ballast go together.

I'm changing out the ballast for the proper type. It comes with a
capacitor. There currently is NOT one with the existing 125 W bulb and
ballast and I am wondering if I should include it?

Old September 9th 19, 12:51 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 08.09.19 3:19, Larz wrote:
I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts. It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W. Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb? It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor. Thank
you.

The ballast and supply voltage determine power, so your 175 watt lamp
will not get the power you want to feed it.
Lamp an ballast go together.

I'm changing out the ballast for the proper type. It comes with a
capacitor. There currently is NOT one with the existing 125 W bulb and
ballast and I am wondering if I should include it?

The cap might be for COS Phi correction, and have no influence
on the lamp/ballast combo, just correcting Phi back to zero.
In industrial applications that Phi correction is demanded by the power
company.
Old September 9th 19, 10:04 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 08.09.19 3:19, Larz wrote:

I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts.┬* It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W.┬* Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb?┬* It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor.┬* Thank
you.

The ballast and supply voltage determine power, so your 175 watt lamp
will not get the power you want┬* to feed it.
Lamp an ballast go together.

I'm changing out the ballast for the proper type. It comes with a
capacitor. There currently is NOT one with the existing 125 W bulb and
ballast and I am wondering if I should include it?

Who knows what that means. Ask us again, but clearly
Old September 9th 19, 05:38 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9/7/2019 6:19 PM, Larz wrote:
I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts.┬* It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W.┬* Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb?┬* It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor.┬* Thank you.

Once the ballast is changed, any chance the 175W bulb will overheat in a
fixture ?designed? for 125W?