DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   can I swap out 125 W mercury vapor medium base for 175 W mercuryvapor mogul base? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/639667-can-i-swap-out-125-w-mercury-vapor-medium-base-175-w-mercuryvapor-mogul-base.html)

Larz September 8th 19 03:19 AM

can I swap out 125 W mercury vapor medium base for 175 W mercuryvapor mogul base?

I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts. It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W. Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb? It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor. Thank you.

[email protected] September 8th 19 03:27 PM

can I swap out 125 W mercury vapor medium base for 175 W mercuryvapor mogul base?

No. About covers it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Klay Anderson[_2_] September 8th 19 07:58 PM

can I swap out 125 W mercury vapor medium base for 175 W mercuryvapor mogul base?

Get yourself a 36w LED retrofit 4000K bulb, remove or fully bypass the ballast and enjoy.

[email protected] September 8th 19 09:25 PM

On Sunday, 8 September 2019 02:19:22 UTC+1, Larz wrote:

I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts. It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W. Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb? It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor. Thank you.

Would there be much point? Mercury is obsolete for a reason. Total cost of ownership of a LED light is cheaper. And the light's better. And no warm-up issues. Your fitting/bulb might be free, but the electricity isn't.

NT

Sjouke Burry[_2_] September 8th 19 11:46 PM

On 08.09.19 3:19, Larz wrote:
I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts. It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W. Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb? It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor. Thank you.

The ballast and supply voltage determine power, so your 175 watt lamp
will not get the power you want to feed it.
Lamp an ballast go together.

Larz September 9th 19 01:43 AM

On 9/8/19 5:46 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
On 08.09.19 3:19, Larz wrote:
I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts.¬* It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W.¬* Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb?¬* It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor.¬* Thank
you.

The ballast and supply voltage determine power, so your 175 watt lamp
will not get the power you want¬* to feed it.
Lamp an ballast go together.

I'm changing out the ballast for the proper type. It comes with a
capacitor. There currently is NOT one with the existing 125 W bulb and
ballast and I am wondering if I should include it?

Larz September 9th 19 01:47 AM

On 9/8/19 3:25 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, 8 September 2019 02:19:22 UTC+1, Larz wrote:

I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts. It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W. Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb? It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor. Thank you.

Would there be much point? Mercury is obsolete for a reason. Total cost of ownership of a LED light is cheaper. And the light's better. And no warm-up issues. Your fitting/bulb might be free, but the electricity isn't.

NT

I agree about the LED, and I would if I were not using this set up for a
the special purpose of attracting insects. The LED does not emit
anything close to UV whereas the mercury vapor does and in not harmful
wavelengths as long as the envelope remains intact. So, it won't be on
all the time, just nights where I want to attract certain insects.

I do use LED for just about every lamp in the house, really cut the
electric bill after the switch over from incandescents.

Sjouke Burry[_2_] September 9th 19 01:51 AM

On 08.09.19 3:19, Larz wrote:
I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts. It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W. Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb? It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor. Thank
you.

The ballast and supply voltage determine power, so your 175 watt lamp
will not get the power you want to feed it.
Lamp an ballast go together.

I'm changing out the ballast for the proper type. It comes with a
capacitor. There currently is NOT one with the existing 125 W bulb and
ballast and I am wondering if I should include it?

The cap might be for COS Phi correction, and have no influence
on the lamp/ballast combo, just correcting Phi back to zero.
In industrial applications that Phi correction is demanded by the power
company.

[email protected] September 9th 19 11:04 AM

On 08.09.19 3:19, Larz wrote:

I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts.¬* It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W.¬* Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb?¬* It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor.¬* Thank
you.

The ballast and supply voltage determine power, so your 175 watt lamp
will not get the power you want¬* to feed it.
Lamp an ballast go together.

I'm changing out the ballast for the proper type. It comes with a
capacitor. There currently is NOT one with the existing 125 W bulb and
ballast and I am wondering if I should include it?

Who knows what that means. Ask us again, but clearly

Bennett[_2_] September 9th 19 06:38 PM

On 9/7/2019 6:19 PM, Larz wrote:
I picked up a surplus yard light called Electripak SV-175M thinking that
it was 175 watts.¬* It uses a mercury vapor bulb, but the bulb inside
appears to be 125 W.¬* Since I want to use 175 W mercury vapor instead,
is it possible to swap out the medium base for mogul base and use the
175 W mercury vapor bulb?¬* It has an H42 ballast, no capacitor.¬* Thank you.

Once the ballast is changed, any chance the 175W bulb will overheat in a
fixture ?designed? for 125W?