Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old December 1st 10, 04:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,397
Default Outside mercury vapor light flickering


I have a mercury vapor light that turns itself on/off intermittently at night.

I called the electrical contractor that installed it and thought I just needed
the bulb replaced. The owners wife who answers the phone said it could also be
the ballast.

What are the prices of these parts?

Would it be more economical to have them install a new one?

Any estiguess as to labor time? It's about 15' up so they used a ground ladder
and one person to install.

When I purchased it from an electrical supply place (as instructed by the oelec
co owner) I noticed they did not appear to be real durable...

Any ideas as to what a modern alternative would be?

Thanks all!

--
Tekkie

  #2   Report Post  
Old December 1st 10, 04:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,106
Default Outside mercury vapor light flickering

On Nov 30, 10:04*pm, Tekkie« wrote:
I have a mercury vapor light that turns itself on/off intermittently at night.

I called the electrical contractor that installed it and thought I just needed
the bulb replaced. The owners wife who answers the phone said it could also be
the ballast.

What are the prices of these parts?

Would it be more economical to have them install a new one?

Any estiguess as to labor time? It's about 15' up so they used a ground ladder
and one person to install.

When I purchased it from an electrical supply place (as instructed by the oelec
co owner) I noticed they did not appear to be real durable...

Any ideas as to what a modern alternative would be?

Thanks all!

--
Tekkie



Lamp/Ballast price depends on what type of lamp and ballast you
are dealing with...

You would need to disassemble the fixture in question to positively
identify the lamp and ballast needed there are just too many different
types and lamp sizes out there to be able to give you specific
advice blind over the internet...

How many hours of the day do you leave the fixture on ?
You will only get x-thousand hours of lamp life out of a light
fixture,
and the same logic applies to ballasts...

~~ Evan

  #3   Report Post  
Old December 1st 10, 04:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2009
Posts: 3,762
Default Outside mercury vapor light flickering

On 11/30/2010 9:04 PM, Tekkie« wrote:

I have a mercury vapor light that turns itself on/off intermittently at night.

I called the electrical contractor that installed it and thought I just needed
the bulb replaced. The owners wife who answers the phone said it could also be
the ballast.

What are the prices of these parts?

Would it be more economical to have them install a new one?

Any estiguess as to labor time? It's about 15' up so they used a ground ladder
and one person to install.

When I purchased it from an electrical supply place (as instructed by the oelec
co owner) I noticed they did not appear to be real durable...

Any ideas as to what a modern alternative would be?

Thanks all!


Best color, more natural light will be from a metal halide light.
The most efficient as far a light output will be a high pressure
sodium light but the light is quite yellow. I like the metal halide
lights myself.

TDD
  #4   Report Post  
Old December 1st 10, 04:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,026
Default Outside mercury vapor light flickering


"Tekkie«" wrote in message
m...

I have a mercury vapor light that turns itself on/off intermittently at
night.

I called the electrical contractor that installed it and thought I just
needed
the bulb replaced. The owners wife who answers the phone said it could
also be
the ballast.

What are the prices of these parts?

Would it be more economical to have them install a new one?

Any estiguess as to labor time? It's about 15' up so they used a ground
ladder
and one person to install.

When I purchased it from an electrical supply place (as instructed by the
oelec
co owner) I noticed they did not appear to be real durable...

Any ideas as to what a modern alternative would be?


Cold be the ballast. I just ordered part for a metal halide light and paid
$125. It was easier than replacing the entire fixture and save about $60.
Your local electric supply house may have parts or check them out at
www.mcmaster.com

  #5   Report Post  
Old December 1st 10, 02:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,568
Default Outside mercury vapor light flickering

On Dec 1, 12:26*am, wrote:
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 22:04:03 -0500, Tekkie
wrote:







I have a mercury vapor light that turns itself on/off intermittently at night.


I called the electrical contractor that installed it and thought I just needed
the bulb replaced. The owners wife who answers the phone said it could also be
the ballast.


What are the prices of these parts?


Would it be more economical to have them install a new one?


Any estiguess as to labor time? It's about 15' up so they used a ground ladder
and one person to install.


When I purchased it from an electrical supply place (as instructed by the oelec
co owner) I noticed they did not appear to be real durable...


Any ideas as to what a modern alternative would be?


Thanks all!


Change the bulb. *Cost around $10.
I have one of these lights, the bulbs flciker when they are getting
weak. *- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


It's usually the bulb. Metal Halide fixture will have a ballast
transformer and a capacitor. High pressure sodium will also have a
starter. The parts are pretty cheap online. .


  #6   Report Post  
Old December 2nd 10, 03:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,431
Default Outside mercury vapor light flickering

In article , Tekkie« wrote:

I have a mercury vapor light that turns itself on/off intermittently at
night.

I called the electrical contractor that installed it and thought I just
needed the bulb replaced. The owners wife who answers the phone said it
could also be the ballast.


My experience is that over 90% of the time, the cause is the bulb
needing to be replaced.
--
- Don Klipstein )
  #7   Report Post  
Old December 3rd 10, 04:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,397
Default Outside mercury vapor light flickering - follow up

Tekkie« posted for all of us...


I have a mercury vapor light that turns itself on/off intermittently at night.

I called the electrical contractor that installed it and thought I just needed
the bulb replaced. The owners wife who answers the phone said it could also be
the ballast.

What are the prices of these parts?

Would it be more economical to have them install a new one?

Any estiguess as to labor time? It's about 15' up so they used a ground ladder
and one person to install.

When I purchased it from an electrical supply place (as instructed by the oelec
co owner) I noticed they did not appear to be real durable...

Any ideas as to what a modern alternative would be?

Thanks all!


The electrical contractor was here weeks ahead of expectations.

The existing light was a dusk to dawn mercury vapor.

Owner claimed bulbs are not available because of the magic word "mercury"

Replaced with metal halide fixture and wife is happy.

Waiting for invoice.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

--
Tekkie
  #8   Report Post  
Old December 3rd 10, 05:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2009
Posts: 3,762
Default Outside mercury vapor light flickering - follow up

On 12/2/2010 9:08 PM, Tekkie« wrote:
Tekkie« posted for all of us...


I have a mercury vapor light that turns itself on/off intermittently at night.

I called the electrical contractor that installed it and thought I just needed
the bulb replaced. The owners wife who answers the phone said it could also be
the ballast.

What are the prices of these parts?

Would it be more economical to have them install a new one?

Any estiguess as to labor time? It's about 15' up so they used a ground ladder
and one person to install.

When I purchased it from an electrical supply place (as instructed by the oelec
co owner) I noticed they did not appear to be real durable...

Any ideas as to what a modern alternative would be?

Thanks all!


The electrical contractor was here weeks ahead of expectations.

The existing light was a dusk to dawn mercury vapor.

Owner claimed bulbs are not available because of the magic word "mercury"

Replaced with metal halide fixture and wife is happy.

Waiting for invoice.

Thanks everyone for the replies.


I'll bet you like the color of the light from the metal halide fixture. :-)

TDD
  #9   Report Post  
Old December 3rd 10, 05:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2008
Posts: 18,546
Default Outside mercury vapor light flickering - follow up

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 22:06:58 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/2/2010 9:08 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Tekkie® posted for all of us...


I have a mercury vapor light that turns itself on/off intermittently at night.

I called the electrical contractor that installed it and thought I just needed
the bulb replaced. The owners wife who answers the phone said it could also be
the ballast.

What are the prices of these parts?

Would it be more economical to have them install a new one?

Any estiguess as to labor time? It's about 15' up so they used a ground ladder
and one person to install.

When I purchased it from an electrical supply place (as instructed by the oelec
co owner) I noticed they did not appear to be real durable...

Any ideas as to what a modern alternative would be?

Thanks all!


The electrical contractor was here weeks ahead of expectations.

The existing light was a dusk to dawn mercury vapor.

Owner claimed bulbs are not available because of the magic word "mercury"

Replaced with metal halide fixture and wife is happy.

Waiting for invoice.

Thanks everyone for the replies.


I'll bet you like the color of the light from the metal halide fixture. :-)

TDD

Could be worse - it could be Sodium Vapour - - -
  #10   Report Post  
Old December 4th 10, 01:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2010
Posts: 849
Default Outside mercury vapor light flickering - follow up

On 12/2/2010 11:09 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 22:06:58 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/2/2010 9:08 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Tekkie® posted for all of us...


I have a mercury vapor light that turns itself on/off intermittently at night.

I called the electrical contractor that installed it and thought I just needed
the bulb replaced. The owners wife who answers the phone said it could also be
the ballast.

What are the prices of these parts?

Would it be more economical to have them install a new one?

Any estiguess as to labor time? It's about 15' up so they used a ground ladder
and one person to install.

When I purchased it from an electrical supply place (as instructed by the oelec
co owner) I noticed they did not appear to be real durable...

Any ideas as to what a modern alternative would be?

Thanks all!

The electrical contractor was here weeks ahead of expectations.

The existing light was a dusk to dawn mercury vapor.

Owner claimed bulbs are not available because of the magic word "mercury"

Replaced with metal halide fixture and wife is happy.

Waiting for invoice.

Thanks everyone for the replies.


I'll bet you like the color of the light from the metal halide fixture. :-)

TDD

Could be worse - it could be Sodium Vapour - - -


Is that the pink/orange type? Very ugly. I didn't want light to light
up the sky so I gutted the fixture and left only the light sensor
circuit in it. Installed a 27? watt CFL and mounted the lamp about 6
feet lower than it was. Perfect! BTW, this dusk to dawn works with a
relay so any lamp will work.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mercury Vapor lamps ransley Home Repair 11 February 18th 09 02:01 PM
security light flickering Chris Home Repair 1 December 14th 07 04:06 AM
Mercury vapor (or other) security light [email protected] Home Repair 8 October 23rd 07 05:27 AM
test mercury vapor bulbs John Keith Home Repair 5 October 4th 05 06:52 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ę2004-2020 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017